LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

39 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Oh my!!  You guys need to start processing yourselves.  No way would my deer be laying under a tarp with 100 others.  I just finished cutting up my kill from this weekend.  It ain’t rocket science and you know it’s your deer that’s in the freezer.

4D49909B-60CF-4831-9996-545415F8911A.jpeg

Some of you guys act like venison goes bad in 30 degree weather in a couple days? I've hung em from a tree or put in my 6ft beer cooler, which can hold 3 mid sized deer, for days. I've cut up plenty of deer but really I'm not a butcher and my time is worth more to me. I have a butcher I trust completely. I have watched the whole process and see the organization and cleanliness every visit. 

While I do agree every hunter should butcher a deer at least a couple times I don't get the bashing. If I wanted to be a butcher that would be my profession lol.

Now if the temps were up and those deer were laying around I would worry. My guy gets em skinned and hanging in the cooler where they may hang for day if they are busy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Some of you guys act like venison goes bad in 30 degree weather in a couple days? I've hung em from a tree or put in my 6ft beer cooler, which can hold 3 mid sized deer, for days. I've cut up plenty of deer but really I'm not a butcher and my time is worth more to me. I have a butcher I trust completely. I have watched the whole process and see the organization and cleanliness every visit. 

While I do agree every hunter should butcher a deer at least a couple times I don't get the bashing. If I wanted to be a butcher that would be my profession lol.

Now if the temps were up and those deer were laying around I would worry. My guy gets em skinned and hanging in the cooler where they may hang for day if they are busy.

In TF's photo those deer ain't hanging or in a beer cooler.  They are on the ground with a tarp over them right next to a port-o-potty.

44 minutes ago, steve863 said:

In TF's photo those deer ain't hanging or in a beer cooler.  They are on the ground with a tarp over them right next to a port-o-potty.

Ha missed the Port O Pot lol Yea they could find a better spot eh. But deer laying on pallets in 30 degree temps for a couple days are not going to hurt them either if they were gutted properly and not gut shot or not cooled first. I would not want to lay a warm deer like that. Would it be my preference no, and I wouldn't probably do it, but have you ever been to any industrial meat processing facility?? You'd probably get sick.

That said I doubt either one of us should care what someone else wants to do lol. 

Edited by Fletch

I'm sure it not hard but thats like saying anyone who can swing a hammer is a carpenter . I see the jobs that guys on the forum do compared to an actual butcher ,the butcher's cuts look like cuts and the guys that do it home look like giant blocks of generic meat. It's part of the reason I still take mine to a butcher ,the part is not having a dedicated space to do.
If you have giant blocks of generic cuts then you are better off taking it somewhere! I take pride in my deer, everything is meticulously cleaned, cut, vacuum sealed and labeled. It's not for everyone for sure. The hunt comes full circle for me when everything is in the freezer. To each their own. I know what you mean though, I've seen some real hacks who "butcher" their own deer!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chrisw said:

If you have giant blocks of generic cuts then you are better off taking it somewhere! I take pride in my deer, everything is meticulously cleaned, cut, vacuum sealed and labeled. It's not for everyone for sure. The hunt comes full circle for me when everything is in the freezer. To each their own. I know what you mean though, I've seen some real hacks who "butcher" their own deer!

Agreed. Same feelings here. 

59 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Ha missed the Port O Pot lol Yea they could find a better spot eh. But deer laying on pallets in 30 degree temps for a couple days are not going to hurt them either if they were gutted properly and not gut shot or not cooled first. I would not want to lay a warm deer like that. Would it be my preference no, and I wouldn't probably do it, but have you ever been to any industrial meat processing facility?? You'd probably get sick.

That said I doubt either one of us should care what someone else wants to do lol. 

Fletch,that is why i hunt deer. No meat from an industrial farm or processing place for me. Venison is all i eat throughout the year. As far as meat goes anyway.

And of course people can do what they want with their deer,they will be the ones eating it.  I had a friend i learned from how to butcher my own and most of the time we still do it together. I can do it by myself and did that with my bow does this year as my buddy was busy.

I went for a long walk today and spooked a group of deer on an west slope with the wind coming from the west. Some of them just dont care...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

That'a kind of what i was getting at in a nut shell , when i decide to do it ,i want to be all in and learn the correct way and have the proper space and equipment. 

• Like 2

All you need is a tree branch, sharp knife, table and vacuum sealer. I’ve done 9 deer between mine and my friends this year, they don’t take more than 1.5 hours from hanging to bagged. Grind the meat the next day but that optional as I can just make stew meat with it. And any weather under 40 you can keep them hanging. I do have a 4x4 across my garage rafters, with a boat rope winch attached to the wall and a pulley up top. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 2

Just now, Hock3y24 said:

All you need is a tree branch, sharp knife, table and vacuum sealer. I’ve done 9 deer between mine and my friends this year, they don’t take more than 1.5 hours from hanging to bagged. Grind the meat the next day but that optional as I can just make stew meat with it. And any weather under 40 you can keep them hanging. 

ok,i need to take lessons from you. It takes me a lot longer to process a deer. I didn't really have a setup,but made one this year. The trimming is done on my workbench in the basement. It takes me close to 1.5 hrs to hang the deer,skin it and get the meat of. Then several hours of trimming,maybe i am to picky,but that is how i learned. I want to try to cook the hocks whole,because trimming those is a nuisance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

All you need is a tree branch, sharp knife, table and vacuum sealer. I’ve done 9 deer between mine and my friends this year, they don’t take more than 1.5 hours from hanging to bagged. Grind the meat the next day but that optional as I can just make stew meat with it. And any weather under 40 you can keep them hanging. I do have a 4x4 across my garage rafters, with a boat rope winch attached to the wall and a pulley up top. 

So chunks and ground? 

At 11am today I shot A nice doe from 90 yards. I was Aiming for mid to high shoulder. At the shot she buckled a bit and then took off into the brush lot next door. I had a smoke and went to look. No blood, but I could Make out her tracks. Followed for 75 yards before there was blood, but it wasn’t much. I backed Out for a few hours. To make a long story short, I tracked As far as I could And then a small grid search and found her about 1/2 hour ago. Coyotes had already gotten her, tore up a back strap and rear quarter. I could Make out the hit, right where I aimed. She had gone 450 yards. 

I am putting the 6.5 away and getting one of my other rifles together and sighted in Saturday. I can Say that I would Not recommend that round for deer based on my experience. Maybe I’ll keep it around for yotes, or maybe I’ll get rid of it. I dunno. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

ok,i need to take lessons from you. It takes me a lot longer to process a deer. I didn't really have a setup,but made one this year. The trimming is done on my workbench in the basement. It takes me close to 1.5 hrs to hang the deer,skin it and get the meat of. Then several hours of trimming,maybe i am to picky,but that is how i learned. I want to try to cook the hocks whole,because trimming those is a nuisance.

I’m thinking the same thing man. I must be slow. 1.5-2 just to skin and quarter up. Then another 3.5-4 hours to cut, grind, package and clean up. I tell everyone it takes 6 hours but I always break it up in 2-3 different days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2