LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

What's the going rate for cutting up a deer in your areas?  
Local guy here in Columbia/Rensselaer area gets $100. 
Would get really expensive fast with multiple deer taken. 

45e589f22f22d2b0d66ee43d49b473d5.jpg

Depends on what you charge an hour(you lawyers out there can’t afford yourself to cut your own!)....I’m about 4 - 5 hours over a few days to get it looking this way. I use freezer paper most times (don’t last longer than a year anyway).
However I never seen a deer come back from a processor as clean. It’s worth it to me and enjoyable to spend time. My teachers were people on this site and videos.
Notice my daughter’s backpack? I break it down in the kitchen after quartering in my back yard. it’s not a bloody mess once it’s quartered and really ain’t that bad after field dressed and skinned. Carcass goes in contractor bag and regular trash pick up...i live in 3S(aka “the city” to some)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, grampy said:

Hunting partner Gary, got it done tonight!  Nice buck but one side broke off. He didn't notice it before the shot, just saw the right side and didn't have a lot of time to study him. He wasn't having much luck in his primary spot. So I suggested the oak ridge blind. It's been hot this year! I shot my crossbow buck there, and seen some nice buck after that there too, while looking to shoot a doe. I even have a picture of his buck taken with both sides of his rack! Taken on my phone while hunting there. Three year old dressed 160lbs. Came in to check out does that were eating acorns near by. And snort wheezed. At a small buck that was there too! Pretty exciting hunt for him! We were texting back and forth. I was telling him the last hour was gonna be good there, and it was.

20191119_184451.thumb.jpg.ef52523cdcf960a9331a822b76a618fb.jpg

Picture I took of the deer a couple of weeks ago while sitting the same blind. Might need to blow it up, but he's in there. 

20191109_081329.thumb.jpg.e6075a50db8863ed7d7affc7a3ca0171.jpg

IMG_26221.thumb.jpg.873e6b481053c951da1c141e742008ef.jpg

Tell Gary congrats.  You both had quite the season.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Depends on what you charge an hour(you lawyers out there can’t afford yourself to cut your own!)....I’m about 4 - 5 hours over a few days to get it looking this way. I use freezer paper most times (don’t last longer than a year anyway).
However I never seen a deer come back from a processor as clean. It’s worth it to me and enjoyable to spend time. My teachers were people on this site and videos.
Notice my daughter’s backpack? I break it down in the kitchen after quartering in my back yard. it’s not a bloody mess once it’s quartered and really ain’t that bad after field dressed and skinned. Carcass goes in contractor bag and regular trash pick up...i live in 3S(aka “the city” to some)

I agree. Been cutting our own deer up for almost 30 yrs.  Got multiple grinders, cuber, patty machine, and chamber vac sealer.  Doesn't take me long from hanging to freezer.

I was just curious what the going rate was in other areas. 

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

I agree. Been cutting our own deer up for almost 30 yrs.  Got multiple grinders, cuber, patty machine, and chamber vac sealer.  Doesn't take me long from hanging to freezer.

I was just curious what the going rate was in other areas. 

I was charged 80 my last deer and that was for adding cube steaks ,all vac sealed.

• Like 1

Heading up to skin and butcher the two bucks we have hanging in the barn. We've had a great season here so far. Got a couple of DMP's we can fill. Will put the priority on helping some young hunters get something now. That is if they can pry themselves away from their "busy" schedules! My grandson seems to be losing interest unfortunately. More interested in sports and girls right now. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Nomad said:

Interesting views on cutting up your own , and Now that my garage is more open I should maybe give it a try . But frankly , I love my processor he’s a great guy and I enjoy going ,seeing all the deer , talking to the hunters ,breaking chops . I’ll sit in the hot tub and smoke a cigar while he does the work . Going to Uncle Charlie,my processor is a big part of my season . If I stopped hunting ,I’d still stop by .

That said I feel you should drag your deer out, not call Uber, aka atvs and tractors . I figure that into taking the shot , how much light is left , how muddy are the crop fields , are the ditches to full of water to cross and so on ,of course, a big buck all bets are off .

I think in 40 some years of hunting , maybe three of my deer came out on a atv . But that’s me .

Took ,me 2 hours to get my archery buck out a short 430 yards , my forearms hurt for a couple days, and my hands hurt for a few more ,all part of the hunt to me .

edit my archery buck was done  the next day, my gun buck I dropped off Sat night at 6 , it was ready Monday morning , but I got it today out of his freezer .

You can come drag mine if you like!  Not really part of the hunt that I relish.  I will happily go with an ATV.  lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Hey now, not only have I butchered every deer I have ever shot, I also do my own plumbing, electrical and HVAC repair.  At least then I know whose fault it is when its screwed up.

Still trying to figure out why I can't have both my kitchen and deck light on at the same time.  lol

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Hey now, not only have I butchered every deer I have ever shot, I also do my own plumbing, electrical and HVAC repair.  At least then I know whose fault it is when its screwed up.

Dude.  Lawyers aren't allowed to do their own blue collar work.  Way to stick it to the working man.  Just like IT guys aren't supposed to either.  I'm pretty sure I broke several laws when I did 80% of the work furnishing my basement.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Dude.  Lawyers aren't allowed to do their own blue collar work.  Way to stick it to the working man.  Just like IT guys aren't supposed to either.  I'm pretty sure I broke several laws when I did 80% of the work furnishing my basement.

I finished the basement in my first home solo except ceiling and carpet.  I will never do drywall sanding again.  That sucked!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I finished the basement in my first home solo except ceiling and carpet.  I will never do drywall sanding again.  That sucked!

Agreed.  I had some guys do the framing and hang the drywall and the frame for the drop ceiling.  Did everything else myself, floor, wiring, lighting, sanding, trim, doors, spackling etc.  I remember sanding until 2am from 7am to get it all done.

40 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You can come drag mine if you like!  Not really part of the hunt that I relish.  I will happily go with an ATV.  lol

I started well before the invention of the first three wheeler and the drag was part of the hunt . It figured into the shot, do I have time to get it out ? Is this small doe worth the time to drag  across a plowed muddy field , do I have help and so on. 

To me what makes Buckmaster 7600’s stories so cool is he follows a track into the mountains with little more then a gun, and walks out with the gun and deer . If he used an atv it just wouldn’t be the same .

Guys  will often say , “ if I can no longer ( fill in the blank ) I’ll stop hunting , “ well if I can no longer drag my deer ,may very well , be it for me .

I’ll come drag  your deer any day , it’s a fun workout , like dragging the weighted sled  by ropes .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Haha, i'm the same way. I had too much pride of my first few renovation projects to sub it out, but now I'll gladly pay someone $20/hour to tape and sand. They get it done way quicker and I avoid one of my least favorite processes.

• Like 1

Trust me its no where near wallpaper removal. Id rather do drywal sanding all day 

I was 28 When I finished my first basement it took 36 sheets of drywall, all moved down there and hung by me. I did my current basement at 40 and I was dying lol, what a difference. Also I was out this morning and didn’t see squat. I hate gun season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2