LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Sitting up on a knoll here in 6n watching over a heavily used deer trail. Every year there is a beeten down trial in this same spot. I've killed my only Thanksgiving deer from this spot a few years ago. Nothing moving so far. Awaiting to here about a successful doe recovery. Good luck everyone.2ea34aa1b5a09d35ba72a1045aa117b8.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I am pretty sure I just not meant to get a deer this season.   Sat in stand 2 minutes doe comes in from field behind me.  Walks directly under me and I let her get about 6 yards . Pull trigger....click...wtf....cycle bolt a shell comes out and she is gone.   Miss fire. Just can't believe this season. 

That happened to me with the buck I shot opening day. Same exact thing, pull trigger, WTF, cycle action, he starts to run but I yelled and he stopped. May I ask what ammo you are using? Mine was a Remington Corelok in .308

No lost blood in the thickets crawled in my belly trying to find her figured she was dead under it but no luck. I'll call the dog again but I am done looking today.didnt get enough sleep have 3 guys coming in to hunt with . It will be my first deer I lost in 30 years of hunting ughhh

Not for lack of effort, keep your head up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

No lost blood in the thickets crawled in my belly trying to find her figured she was dead under it but no luck. I'll call the dog again but I am done looking today.didnt get enough sleep have 3 guys coming in to hunt with . It will be my first deer I lost in 30 years of hunting ughhh

Cynthia, if you found bone fragments, I'm 99% sure it was a leg hit. Definitely bullet could have gone to chest cavity before or after taking out the leg. Wish I felt a bit better, I would come down to help with a dog.

Don't give up. That sounds like a dead deer. Sending luck. And thanks to Bill for being a great stand up guy, and hunter\sportsman.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That stinks Cynthiafu sorry to hear you haven't been able to find her. That's a hell of a track record you have first one in 30 years lost that's awesome. You gave it a GREAT effort you and Bill.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

It sucks

Cynthia, I just had this happen opening day.  I saw a doe crashing through the woods with a buck with a bummed leg from an arrow.  I tried to put her down.  I shot the buck first of course and then changed gears to take her as well knowing she was injured.  After I tagged my buck.  I looked over two hours for her up and down mountains, replaying the shots and the entire 5 mins of craziness.  No blood to follow but I knew she was hit and hit bad because of the way she acted.  I called friends and even had my daughter out with me the next day to grid search the entire area.  I put about 6 to 8 hours into the search.  Looked in brush, crawled on my knees through spots I never thought I could get out of.  The other day (3 days later)after it snowed, I walked around my property to look for scraps, rubs, and other deer activity for Muzzle season.  It was over 2 miles away from where I shot her.  The doe with a bum leg was under a log in a stream.  If I didn't almost step on her, I would have never seen her.  I was upset, disappointed and asked myself what else I could have done.  I think some would have given up after the 2 hrs and the next day.  Don't be hard on yourself, you are doing all the right things. Like someone mentioned in this thread before, you will lose one throughout your time hunting and IT SUCKS, but knowing you did everything to find her is all you can do.   

• Like 1