LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Ballz.  Heard foot steps off my left shoulder.   25 yards to Then 20 in super thick stuff.  All I could see is a foot , nose and throat patch. Deer stood there for 7-10 minutes not moving. Still couldn’t make out what it was. Rifle hanging in tree. I slowly grab .44 out of chest rig. Wind  blowing perfect. Cmon , step out and let me see what you are. Takes one step sideways and jumps , no tail up. Huge body and big rack.  No shot.  I grunted but he’s gone. Dang it. Here’s pic of crap he was in. 

663CE62F-520B-4E0E-938E-5DC5B29A9A9E.jpeg

See any state troopers, black helicopters or a certain 17 year old white male? 

Some motivation for those still hunting. 28lbs of venison pastrami! IMG_20191120_172146633.thumb.jpg.1ba7a76666b7a6d310aed7ab8dbc2821.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

What's the recipe for that if you can give it, also what size, brand casing did you use? Is the casing edible or not also?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No this stuff I leave to my buddy who processes deer. He's awesome at it and saves me a lot of time so I just pay for this every year.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

What part of ny state is your buddy in, looking to find someone that can do this. I'm in 3H/3K.

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I am pretty sure I just not meant to get a deer this season

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Miss fire. Just can't believe this season

You are not alone Rob. This week I have been hunting a piece of state land I like to hunt from time to time. About 6000 acres and I haven't seen a soul there all week. Yesterday after hunting it I scouted and found a location I wanted to try today with the climber. I start in this morning before light, about a 1/4 mile walk; and got about 20 yards from where I was going to climb and there is guy standing there overlooking the ravine 1/2 hr. before daylight. Closest rd. is a 1/4 mile away. Of all places on 6000 acres he had to pick that spot.:banghead:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve D said:

You are not alone Rob. This week I have been hunting a piece of state land I like to hunt from time to time. About 6000 acres and I haven't seen a soul there all week. Yesterday after hunting it I scouted and found a location I wanted to try today with the climber. I start in this morning before light, about a 1/4 mile walk; and got about 20 yards from where I was going to climb and there is guy standing there overlooking the ravine 1/2 hr. before daylight. Closest rd. is a 1/4 mile away. Of all places on 6000 acres he had to pick that spot.:banghead:

Must be a good spot for the two of you to pick it. 

3 hours ago, ApexerER said:

That happened to me with the buck I shot opening day. Same exact thing, pull trigger, WTF, cycle action, he starts to run but I yelled and he stopped. May I ask what ammo you are using? Mine was a Remington Corelok in .308

I had that happen with Core lokts at range. 2 from one box.  So I switched to fusions.  Found bullet below the stand and it had a dent in it.  Stopped at range and fired two quick ones and all is ok . It was this bullet.  Never saw the dent when loading up mag.  Been my luck this season.  

IMG_20191121_104809651.jpg

• Sad 1

I am pretty sure I just not meant to get a deer this season.   Sat in stand 2 minutes doe comes in from field behind me.  Walks directly under me and I let her get about 6 yards . Pull trigger....click...wtf....cycle bolt a shell comes out and she is gone.   Miss fire. Just can't believe this season. 
Factory ammo?

24 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Even if you see nothing, still better than work. 

Oh I disagree! I've seen 18 deer in 45 hunts (174 stand hours) and still don't have any meat in the freezer. I passed up a few small bucks, but I have no regrets. I'm frustrated, physically and mentally whooped and drag myself out of bed to go hunting anymore. Yesterday, the alarm went off to go hunting, and after some consideration, I got dressed and headed into work instead. Guess I'm one of the few people that loves their job...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Oh I disagree! I've seen 18 deer in 45 hunts (174 stand hours) and still don't have any meat in the freezer. I passed up a few small bucks, but I have no regrets. I'm frustrated, physically and mentally whooped and drag myself out of bed to go hunting anymore. Yesterday, the alarm went off to go hunting, and after some consideration, I got dressed and headed into work instead. Guess I'm one of the few people that loves their job...

Ok, difficult season for sure. I too love my job, but I have no CHANCE of killing a deer from my desk. 

1 minute ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Ok, difficult season for sure. I too love my job, but I have no CHANCE of killing a deer from my desk. 

Funny when I'm at the office, I gaze out the window and think about what I could be missing from my stand. When I'm in my stand not seeing anything (the norm), I think I should have gone to work and all the stuff that I have to do. I haven't even seen a deer in the past 10 days or so! That just adds to the frustration. 

Just now, Cabin Fever said:

Funny when I'm at the office, I gaze out the window and think about what I could be missing from my stand. When I'm in my stand not seeing anything (the norm), I think I should have gone to work and all the stuff that I have to do. I haven't even seen a deer in the past 10 days or so! That just adds to the frustration. 

Tough season for sure.  Props for sticking it out.  You know better than anyone that it can change in a matter of seconds.  That's why you will be adding to those 174hrs in the stand.  Good luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Our situations are a bit different.

1) I have no window in my office to look out of. When I'm off I try to avoid work because my job can be 24/7 if I allow it. I give them 50 hours a week, get paid for 40. That's good enough, no?

2) I am on the island. I see deer everyday I'm hunting and most of the days I'm not. I either pass or flat out blow it! 

I understand your frustration, but we are hunters. It's the hunt, being out there that we love, isn't it?

For me, I'd rather sit in my stand and only see birds and squirrels than sit at my desk and only see my computer and phone!

Ok so the drag out took about 4.5 hours. @Buckmaster7600 just earned a new level of respect for what he's able to do in the mountains. After this ordeal I'm thinking that future deer might get packed out piece by piece when I'm this far from the car. Time for a shower and a nap.

Edited by Bolt action
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Ok so the drag out took about 4.5 hours. 7600 just earned a new level of respect for what he's able to do in the mountains. After this ordeal I'm thinking that future deer might get packed out piece by piece when I'm this far from the car. Time for a shower and a nap.

Take a fork with you next time and eat it there.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

49 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Sounds to me like your burning out yourself and the property. Give it a  week or couple week break to recharge yourself and the land. I dont get out even a fraction of the hours you have logged, but i still give the land a break for a week or two if i put in a few days of hunting. Seems to work for me., but then again doesnt take much to educate deer on 40 acres. Even if i dont educate the deer, i like to give my property a break for other deer to ease back in. 

• Like 3

Had a pretty good day in the park. Picked up an old track as soon as I got to the ridge I wanted to checkout. It went the way I was going then hooked up so I kept following it.
457e63df1184a437c59e4c666533e00d.jpg
While following it I cut a small bear track.
a3fa37bb1d6dd6277068c26f6037e5f1.jpg
Kept following the deer it went on a snowmobile trail for a little bit then crossed and headed up a mountain then it was feed with other deer. I got to confused on which was which,but they all went the same way. Then another hunter showed up a coyote.
65a399d5a595960fd812f0b80a2470fd.jpg
So i figured that was it. I dropped back down and checked the valley I wanted to nothing. Decided to head out and come up with a plan for tomorrow. It was pretty cool following the tracks can’t wait to get on a fresh one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I had that happen with Core lokts at range. 2 from one box.  So I switched to fusions.  Found bullet below the stand and it had a dent in it.  Stopped at range and fired two quick ones and all is ok . It was this bullet.  Never saw the dent when loading up mag.  Been my luck this season.  

IMG_20191121_104809651.jpg

Did the case drop on a rock ? I would think if the dent was in the bullet before hand it wouldn’t  have chambered . 

49 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Ok so the drag out took about 4.5 hours. @Buckmaster7600 just earned a new level of respect for what he's able to do in the mountains. After this ordeal I'm thinking that future deer might get packed out piece by piece when I'm this far from the car. Time for a shower and a nap.

You should have called Nomad - he loves it! 

Personally, I would be calling someone with an ATV.  I would rather drive home, grab trailer and ATV and go back than drag for 4.5hrs or even 30min. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You should have called Nomad - he loves it! 

Personally, I would be calling someone with an ATV.  I would rather drive home, grab trailer and ATV and go back than drag for 4.5s or 30min. 

Totally agree. My buddy with the toys is out of town for work and everyone else was working. I get to the gym a few times a week but this morning kicked my butt.