LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

Have had it happen several times at the range with different kinds of ammo but never on a deer. 

That's crazy. I've shot guns for 25-30 years of my life and never seen that happen with rimfire, centerfirerifle or shotgun

1 minute ago, Chef said:

Then the dented case had nothing to do with it, just a bad primer or not a hard enough strike, good chance you go and shoot that round at the range tomorrow and it goes bang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had others that didn't fire at the range even if I tried them 3 times. On Winchester X slugs, core lokts . 

5 minutes ago, Chef said:

Then the dented case had nothing to do with it, just a bad primer or not a hard enough strike, good chance you go and shoot that round at the range tomorrow and it goes bang

Dunno , my suspicion is that the dented case is not coincidence. But regardless that one doesn't get fired again. Will send pic and email to company though.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

637ca0a291fb6f8c887976d86e5c8c1f.jpg

Hardest parts getting them up there then it’s way easier than dragging, when you’re ready for a break just sit on a log or stump so you don’t have to keep getting them on there.

Had to take a big old doe out like that once.  Logging trails we're too icy for the quad.  Up 600 feet in elevation in about 1/4 mile.  It winded me pretty quick.  That might be the year I started jogging and hitting the elliptical 5x a week, come to think of it......  I was in pretty shit shape after my first daughter was born.  

27 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Pulled the trigger and it didn't go boom and it had a dent in it. Guessing it had dent and something was wrong with the shell.  Found it laying in leaves below the stand. 

Interesting. it’s probably good it didn’t fire, that dent most likely would have raised the pressure of the round. 

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

637ca0a291fb6f8c887976d86e5c8c1f.jpg

Hardest parts getting them up there then it’s way easier than dragging, when you’re ready for a break just sit on a log or stump so you don’t have to keep getting them on there.

Impressive no doubt, but you're not worried about ticks? Watched my cousin battle lime disease and it’s not pretty. 
never mind I see some one already asked ..

Edited by rob-c

I had a box of Winchester 35 Rem that had 7 duds in one box. After the first few I didn't trust the box so I shot them all. Called Winchester, they tried to blame the gun, the gun shot fine up until then and has ever since then. Had a gunsmith check it out, no issues. I sent them pictures and emails and they sent me reimbursement for the box if I remember correctly.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Welp I had something happen this afternoon that I'm not proud of lol. I put my dad in a stand (his first time hunting behind my house) and told him I'm gonna drop down to the trail through the field and end up opposite him. So I jump a slammer and a doe from a pine in the goldenrod, he is running straight to my dad. Like straight to him in his stand! Perfect! Well he does a 90 and come back towards me. I gather myself and put it on his shoulder and let it rip he turns and goes towards the woods slowing down a bit. Clean miss! Damn cant believe it shot felt great sns gun is dead balls. I must have pulled up in the excitement. BUT I'm glad to share some excitement with my dad, I told him it was a big deer and he couldn't get down fast enough to be by my side tracking and putting the puzzle together. 

Good times even though it's a miss. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Bolt action said:

Ok so the drag out took about 4.5 hours. @Buckmaster7600 just earned a new level of respect for what he's able to do in the mountains. After this ordeal I'm thinking that future deer might get packed out piece by piece when I'm this far from the car. Time for a shower and a nap.

Try making a deer backpack

• Like 1

We’re getting to much like Texas ranch hunting here . Lease land, drive out to an elevated stand , play with your phone till a deer you want to shoot walks by, Shoot it and drive back .

I like to hold onto a bit of the past .

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Nomad said:

We’re getting to much like Texas ranch hunting here . Lease land, drive out to an elevated stand , play with your phone till a deer you want to shoot walks by, Shoot it and drive back .

Kinda confused by that comment Larry.  You drive to your property, walk a few hundred yards to your stand or wood shooting house overlooking a field or in the woods, wait (sometimes playing on your phone) until a deer you want walks by and shoot it.   Not too different than many of us.  So the bit of the past is dragging vs an ATV?    Is the ATV to haul a deer out what makes it like TX ranch hunting?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nomad said:

If it makes you feel better I get no cell service on my lease . I actually like it that way . 

Edited by rob-c

I I feel better after this morning . I didnt get a deer but a buddy of mine and I took out a new hunter hasn't seen any deer and has been out every day sitting till 430  . So I know where there are  a couple of beds so I sat him on the rock wall and told him to watch the left and they will come right down the hill and.cross.the wall a little ways down . So I start my way around to the back side of the beds and just  do a slow bump.  Well a doe goes.right to him . In his excitement  to  see the deer  .  he started shaking and missed . I get to him .he is still shaking . I laughed and laughed  at him .

• Like 12

Totally agree with a bad primer or not hard enough strike. I bought a new hunting coat several years ago and cradle my rifle across my chest to my left. The bolt of my rifle is right by my right wrist. I had an 8pt come in as I was walking to my spot so I pulled up, aimed and squeezed. CLICK. Deer ran out of my life. Went to cabin, set out a plate, chambered a new round and BANG. Primer was dented on first round but never fired. Later I realized my puffy new coat pushed my bolt up ever so slightly as I walked and did not get a solid strike on the primer.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

That's interesting.. messy.. maybe dangerous.. but an interesting idea for transporting smaller deer. 

I must admit my above post was somewhat tongue in cheek. More seriously, I would consider making a travois (see picture below) in the field, rather than just dragging the carcass, for a real long haul. Another idea is from @turkeyfeathers. In a post a while back he talked about used a heavy-duty tarp-like piece of fabric cut from a deflated golf dome as a drag carpet, if you will.

spacer.png