LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

We’re getting to much like Texas ranch hunting here . Lease land, drive out to an elevated stand , play with your phone till a deer you want to shoot walks by, Shoot it and drive back .
I like to hold onto a bit of the past .

You should come with me, walk several hundred yards to a hang on stand and see nothing all morning, repeat in afternoon . It’ll take you back to the good ole days lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Kinda confused by that comment Larry.  You drive to your property, walk a few hundred yards to your stand or wood shooting house overlooking a field or in the woods, wait (sometimes playing on your phone) until a deer you want walks by and shoot it.   Not too different than many of us.  So the bit of the past is dragging vs an ATV?    Is the ATV to haul a deer out what makes it like TX ranch hunting?

Hunted two times out of an in closed blind / hut , because my daughter doesn’t handle the cold well , so I sat there with her ,I do camp out of it , .all 4X 8 of it, and store stuff in it to which was my reason for building it .After we sold my father in laws house , I had no place to keep stuff or dry off when it rained .

Yep I sit In stands , no longer walk miles  trying to jump a buck or drive across muddy farm fields all day ,hell im  60 with a bunch of worn out parts  ,but I draw the line at elevated blinds ,and atvs , perhaps when I reach my 80’s .

But now that I’m on CDB oil that seems unlikely.

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Hunted two times out of an in closed blind / hut , because my daughter doesn’t handle the cold well , so I sat there with her ,I do camp out of it , .all 4X 8 of it, and store stuff in it to which was my reason for building it .After we sold my father in laws house , I had no place to keep stuff or dry off when it rained .

Yep I sit In stands , no longer walk miles  trying to jump a buck or drive across muddy farm fields all day ,hell im  60 with a bunch of worn out parts  ,but I draw the line at elevated blinds ,and atvs , perhaps when I reach my 80’s .

Well I think you have a great shot of reaching your 80's.

Pulled the trigger and it didn't go boom and it had a dent in it. Guessing it had dent and something was wrong with the shell.  Found it laying in leaves below the stand. 
Did you ever try to reshoot this same round to see if it would go bang?

Just wondering if the primer was seated in to far or something.

My son had the same problem this year and j told him to clean out the firing pin channel in the bolt face. Sometimes gunk and oil collect in there that might inhibit the firing pin from having the correct position or pressure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Opening day taught me I needed another a new one of these in my life.  Hate having to stuff my hands between my harness and into jacket pockets.  

And insulated boot covers.
IMG_20191121_175417.thumb.jpg.161691aab74960927c748df265985bfe.jpg
Tell me a little bit about this one you got here, please.

O almost forgot only because bizz mentioned it I went hunting today only 3 hours  saw a big ass rub  jumped   deer near that area about a month ago . I took a picture  of the rub but for some reason it got deleted or it did not take a picture when i touched the screen not sure what happen .

Going up 200 miles to hunt with my cousins this weekend. 

20191121_103801.jpg

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

Down by me you can’t use motorized vehicles on state or dep lands, so you gotta drag. Most times on my dad’s land, we just drag the 1/2 mile out rather than drive home to get atv and drive back. Plus the deer usually die in a steep and rocky spot so an atv is pointless.

I, too, enjoy the drag. It allows me to soak in the moment of the buck with my hands around the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

Anyone see The Hunting Public video from NY. Holy crap that was AWESOME!!! Some of the best footage I've ever seen. Just watched it and highly recommend.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

been watching every video and even made a thread for in.  Amazing hunt and can't believe it happened right here in New York

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TACC said:

Did you ever try to reshoot this same round to see if it would go bang?

Just wondering if the primer was seated in to far or something.

My son had the same problem this year and j told him to clean out the firing pin channel in the bolt face. Sometimes gunk and oil collect in there that might inhibit the firing pin from having the correct position or pressure.

i have - one time on a different gun tried the same core lokt 3 times it didnt fire.  This gun is new and first season using it but fired all preseason just fine.  A bullet with a dent in it that didnt fire - just a bad round

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hunter007 said:

O almost forgot only because bizz mentioned it I went hunting today only 3 hours  saw a big ass rub  jumped   deer near that area about a month ago . I took a picture  of the rub but for some reason it got deleted or it did not take a picture when i touched the screen not sure what happen .

Going up 200 miles to hunt with my cousins this weekend. 

20191121_103801.jpg

Good luck 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, goosifer said:

I must admit my above post was somewhat tongue in cheek. More seriously, I would consider making a travois (see picture below) in the field, rather than just dragging the carcass, for a real long haul. Another idea is from @turkeyfeathers. In a post a while back he talked about used a heavy-duty tarp-like piece of fabric cut from a deflated golf dome as a drag carpet, if you will.

spacer.png

I made this "Deer Body Bag" to drag deer out of the woods. It slides really well and protects the deer carcass while transporting on the hitch rack or inside a car to protect the interior from blood or ticks. Then is easy to wash.

20190928_121235.jpg

20191004_104332.jpg

• Like 4