LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

12 minutes ago, enewhere said:

I made this "Deer Body Bag" to drag deer out of the woods. It slides really well and protects the deer carcass while transporting on the hitch rack or inside a car to protect the interior from blood or ticks. Then is easy to wash.

20190928_121235.jpg

20191004_104332.jpg

You MADE that? That is awesome. I really wish I know how to sew. My mother was a professional dressmaker--I did not inherit the gene!

• Like 1

I must admit my above post was somewhat tongue in cheek. More seriously, I would consider making a travois (see picture below) in the field, rather than just dragging the carcass, for a real long haul. Another idea is from [mention=4567]turkeyfeathers[/mention]. In a post a while back he talked about used a heavy-duty tarp-like piece of fabric cut from a deflated golf dome as a drag carpet, if you will.
TRAVOIS%2B004.JPG&key=8c6e07a140aae4c8c38ff42560e9ed2ccd0b176f865efc7117e2bad5dddbeb2a

I’ve made a “deer back pack” before with does but never a buck. I cut into the knee joint on the front legs so I can break the leg and then I make a cut behind the Achilles’ tendon on the rear legs like you do for hanging a deer. Then I put the part of the front leg I broke through the cut near the Achilles to make a strap. Sounds more complicated than it is. I wish I had a picture but I only do it when I’m by myself and have a ways to go. Works well. Would work on a buck too but Im not that ambitious and just go get a atv or truck in that situation.

I usually don’t gut them in the field either so I don’t really end up very bloody. I have a lot of coyote issues so I put my gut piles way out of the way of my good bedding and feed locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’ve made a “deer back pack” before with does but never a buck. I cut into the knee joint on the front legs so I can break the leg and then I make a cut behind the Achilles’ tendon on the rear legs like you do for hanging a deer. Then I put the part of the front leg I broke through the cut near the Achilles to make a strap. Sounds more complicated than it is. I wish I had a picture but I only do it when I’m by myself and have a ways to go. Works well. Would work on a buck too but Im not that ambitious and just go get a atv or truck in that situation.

I usually don’t gut them in the field either so I don’t really end up very bloody. I have a lot of coyote issues so I put my gut piles way out of the way of my good bedding and feed locations.

Here’s a pic I found online of the process.

3a9bdd07629117de6c9c0bc04589ee57.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, goosifer said:

I must admit my above post was somewhat tongue in cheek. More seriously, I would consider making a travois (see picture below) in the field, rather than just dragging the carcass, for a real long haul. Another idea is from @turkeyfeathers. In a post a while back he talked about used a heavy-duty tarp-like piece of fabric cut from a deflated golf dome as a drag carpet, if you will.

spacer.png

Live from the hot tub...

In hindsight this probably would've been the way to go. I tried making the deer burrito with a tarp that I brought. It wasn't heavy duty though and ended up testing during the drag. It was better than nothing, but barely. It kept the gut cavity clean more than anything else.

• Like 2

Live from the hot tub...
In hindsight this probably would've been the way to go. I tried making the deer burrito with a tarp that I brought. It wasn't heavy duty though and ended up testing during the drag. It was better than nothing, but barely. It kept the gut cavity clean more than anything else.

61a76b3d392fe4cc73092b9ed23a7a00.jpg

Dumpster dive any big store for old exterior ad signs...worked great. “Sew” shut the burrito and tie drag rope to head/neck ...easy peezy

• Like 4