LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Just got a warden’s pardon to head to my buddy’s in Columbia county as Mama Crappy’s Black Friday venture is more successful and stress-free than expected.
After dessert every thanksgiving she and my sister take over the table to map their shopping strategy- looks like deer camp the night before opening day but circulars take place of maps and weather forecasts and old hunting journals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Safe? Found a bunch when walking this morning. Thinking chanterelles but don't want to be wrong...
IMG_20191129_115556415.thumb.jpg.f512a8bef36491936afc076d527438f8.jpg

Not so sure...they look a bit weathered. Put the pic in the foraging/mushroom thread and Predate will let you know. I only trust what he tells me is good!

• Like 1

We called it a day, and we're home. With the heavy snow coming we pulled three blinds after our hunt.

Grandson came within a couple seconds of shooting a giant buck! He was running some doe's around. We'd see bits and pieces of him but no shots. And at one point he stood at the top of the bank, at just over 200 yards. Zach was on him good, but there was no back drop behind him, and I called off the shot. He then ran to the left of the cut. A few minutes later, more doe's came from that  same area!  And then here he comes, over the bank heading straight towards us at the same place I shot my buck at about 175 yards!!! Told Zach to get on him! Get the safety off! And just as I heard the safety click off, I gave a loud Baaa! He then turned immediately to our right and was gone to the other side of the cut...... CRAP!!! Not sure he even heard me as the buck was chasing a doe.

Hung in there for almost two more hours......nothing. Zach was pretty cold at that point, and so was I. And he really showed his toughness, hanging in as long as he did! He also had plans for the afternoon anyways. But we did see deer! And he at least got to see the biggest buck he's ever seen! 

Just two more seconds and perhaps he would have got a real close look at him........from the ground???? We'll never know. Plan to try again next weekend.

Great hunt with a great kid!

• Like 19

Out for a post black Friday shopping trip hunt in 3g. Cold wind from North, but probably mid 30s. Sitting over some sign on an oak bench and hoping to see some movement. Been a bleak last week or so, so probably could have left bow in the truck.

Good luck to all out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

607bbca5e9d70d75d1f4baa2758ce5a3.jpg

I’m in. Probably my last gun sit of the year.
Trying a New cliff spot. Never hunted it. If I shoot one I’ll have to call neighbor who hunts to let me drag down to his house and get a ride 15 minutes back to my truck.

• Like 1

Well we walked and walked and saw nothing.  Cut tracks early but it was so loud we couldnt ever get caught up. That was at hammond hill state forest. Tried another spot on hammond hill and only thing we saw was cross country runners.  Ended up going over to yellow barn state forest after lunch.  Saw where they had been early morning a couple beds and a dead doe the coyotes had down to bone already.   Well there is where i twisted my knee up so we called it quits wasnt enough sign to keep us their.  Still had a great time.  

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Well we walked and walked and saw nothing.  Cut tracks early but it was so loud we couldnt ever get caught up. That was at hammond hill state forest. Tried another spot on hammond hill and only thing we saw was cross country runners.  Ended up going over to yellow barn state forest after lunch.  Saw where they had been early morning a couple beds and a dead doe the coyotes had down to bone already.   Well there is where i twisted my knee up so we called it quits wasnt enough sign to keep us their.  Still had a great time.  

Was that close to hammondsport? I have been there in the summer and thought it would be nice to come back for deer season,lots of state land and even a national forest one lake over to the east.

Sounds like fun wherever it was exploring new ground is great. Sucks about the knee,i hope it will recover fast!