LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

16 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Well maybe I wasn’t stupid for sitting through the frozen rain after all.
He came sneaking out at about 4:15, I was seriously thinking about quitting a few minutes early as I am leaving for a work trip tomorrow. I took one last look around and wo now. About 80 yards with the 7mm mag. Dressed out 160 pounds. Just got him hung up.

f431dee8447a960b79f99b858a5e5103.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to stick it out Fletch. Well earned. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chef said:

You said you were squirrel hunting? Pretty much anything you would use for squirrel is good enough for Fox, except maybe a BB gun

#6 steel shot at about 30-40 yards.  I wasn't sure if I was going to get enough penetration.  Never pulled the trigger.  Ironically, I would have much more confidence with a bow.  Was watching it pounce on the ground.  I guess it must have sensed a rodent under the snow/leaves.  Took two pounces before it noticed me standing there.

#6 steel shot at about 30-40 yards.  I wasn't sure if I was going to get enough penetration.  Never pulled the trigger.  Ironically, I would have much more confidence with a bow.  Was watching it pounce on the ground.  I guess it must have sensed a rodent under the snow/leaves.  Took two pounces before it noticed me standing there.

All depends on the choke I guess with a turkey choke go for it with a wider probably not

Just now, Chef said:

All depends on the choke I guess with a turkey choke go for it with a wider probably not

Can't remember what I have but it's definitely not turkey choke.  Most of the pellets don't even achieve full pass through on a squirrel.

You’d have destroyed him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

He came sneaking out at about 4:15, I was seriously thinking about quitting a few minutes early as I am leaving for a work trip tomorrow. I took one last look around and wo now. About 80 yards with the 7mm mag. Dressed out 160 pounds. Just got him hung up.

congrats fletch. a true inspiration to those of us who still have buck tags!

• Like 1

Out yesterday am and this pm. Long story short, I have rights to hunt private land associated to my homeowner's association. Yesterday morning chased off a trespasser in full blaze orange in the dark. Dude was hunting with a firearm easily 200 feet from houses. Today spotted someone else stumbling around the property under arm, no orange, no back tag and the craziest outfit I have ever seen in the woods (could have been PJs). He boogies as soon as I start walking towards him.

I think this might explain lack of sightings over the last week. Might as well hop on public.

On the hunting front, got a few nice quiet hours in the woods both days. Nothing spotted but this afternoon in the snow was beautiful.

Great late season scores on the board this weekend. Congrats to all successful hunters.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

f431dee8447a960b79f99b858a5e5103.jpg&key=75460b6e3fb72c8b4ac311a448f41f9fbd9da1f91d8aca6feac7f2135428e3ce

Freaking awesome Fletch. Great buck and way to stick it out.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Atta boy fletch,happy for you you and kudos to sticking it out!

• Like 1

All in all it was a good day, saw 7 doe this morning and 3 bucks this afternoon, one got me close to pulling the trigger but he wasn't what I was looking for, heck I don't need anymore so he's gotta be really nice. My brother saw 3 doe and one buck and my dad saw 1 buck and 1 doe, so pretty happy with those sightings!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Was he on a guided hunt?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

No one of the guys has family with a ton of land. He said a conservation officer came and checked the house. From my understanding the officers do this to all the farms.

Not "Live" at all.  Vermont rifle season wrapped up yesterday.  One of the tougher seasons I have had in awhile.  Over 15 days (I didn't hunt on Thanksgiving) I put in around 80 hours and saw 34 deer.  The only legal buck I saw was behind the neighbor's posters. 

Almost no chasing or rut activity.  I saw a 75lb spike chasing and cruising, as well as the big buck on the neighbor's.  I guess I did see a buck cruising while I was driving.  It was a smaller 6 point between some houses.  On top of this, I didn't see any buck tracks on the 200+ acre part of the farm that I hunt.  I saw plenty of activity the 2 weeks before gun season.  I guess it all comes down to how the season fell on the calendar.  I never want to start rifle hunting this late again.

We had snow for the entire season, which is great.  The only drawback was that it was crunchy.  I'm not much of a still hunter or tracker, but I give it a go when we have decent conditions.  I tried crunching around some, but it wasn't working on the "smaller" areas that I have to hunt.  

It wasn't all bad.  I got to see and hear the woods.  It was single digit cold opening day and I saw a pair of great blue herons fly over.  Friday it was cold and blowing 20mph and I had a flock of geese fly over.  I got to watch the chickadees and the ravens.  One day I heard a pack of coyotes at about noon.  The highlight was the 3.5 year old 8 point that was across the posters.  The second time I saw him he was coming down the power line toward me.  He was still 40 yards behind the posters when he put his nose down and turned onto a cross trail, then disappeared into the goldenrod.  

In theory, I will be muzzleloader hunting in a week.  In theory, I could shoot another good buck.  Unless the 2nd rut kicks in, or we get some fluffy snow, I imagine it will be more of the same.  At least I got to see a nice buck from the stand, and got some nice pics from before the season on my cameras.  (My cameras have never been so dead during rifle season.) Time to clean the rifle and prep the smokepole.  I plan on doing some stomping around with one of my buddies next week, as long as he can get the time off.  

Good luck to everyone out there still trying to fill a tag or a freezer.  I'm trying to convince myself that it ain't over yet!

• Like 5

Couple guys I hunt with in Colorado went to Texas deer hunting and one guy shot this then got fined plus the deer was confiscated. Too small all deer must have a minimum 20” spread.
0DE22A74-1E6B-456A-9BB5-ECB719EC07EF.jpeg.65136e726f8836b70d23219226167df6.jpeg

What’s the fine? I have an friend who just dropped $2,500.00 because he shot a button buck on a property when he was supposed to be removing does. This is not a preserve but a massive private property with their own restrictions

Live from the doctors office. My wife was afraid to drive in this messy weather and was going to cancel her doctor's appt. Next available appt (mamo) wouldn't be until March! Screw that! Bagged the morning hunt and drove her. Should be home in time to hunt the afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

it's always funny after i take a week off for hunting. I spend most of the time unshaven in sweatpants and showering in scent free soap. This morning I'm freshly shaven, smelling good and look like a new man haha.

Was thinking maybe taking a 1/2 day sometime this week but it looks windy, so might save it for the smoke pole. 

14 hours ago, Fletch said:

awesome fletch, i know how good that feels. And that right there is the reason I almost dragged my ass out of bed and probably should have

• Like 1