LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

but the same track in and out? or you literally covered 4 different miles and only 1 track? if so, that's a horrible sign. the snow came sunday/monday.

Walked all the way back to the bottom of the valley followed the river downstream  all the way to the border.  Then came back followed the river the other way upstream .

Then back up the same way I came back to that track then walked up   few 100 feet higher on the hill then walked parallel to that track  but higher up a little hoping to spot him from a elevated position.  Then I stop waited . Then back out same way I came in  

• Like 1

Passed some small bucks in bow season but right now would take one for the freezer.  I would prob pass them again in early season but end of season without even a doe in the freezer, all are fair game.  One more weekend of gun and I have three days for muzzleloader so still in it but it's been tough. Esp since last season was my best ever. 
I'm still 0-fer so don't feel too bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I got my hunting license at the end of October, went out on 5 hunts before this one and today with the help of friends I got a button buck which I thought was a doe so I took it. Even though I hate the idea of taking such a young buck I can’t take it back so here he is. My fist deer ever. It was a hell of a hike and a grueling hike back. Until next season. 
15B26E63-65CF-4ACB-B1ED-02713FAC72B4.thumb.jpeg.eb097531cc87891da1cd437fd163c6e2.jpeg
Eat it's nutsack!@wolc123 has some good recipes

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Enders said:

I got my hunting license at the end of October, went out on 5 hunts before this one and today with the help of friends I got a button buck which I thought was a doe so I took it. Even though I hate the idea of taking such a young buck I can’t take it back so here he is. My fist deer ever. It was a hell of a hike and a grueling hike back. Until next season. 

15B26E63-65CF-4ACB-B1ED-02713FAC72B4.jpeg

Awesome hunt. Congratulations. Enjoy your venison this winter.

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Since October 1 Ive sat 119.75 hours in legal shooting light . My worst performance in a long time  Still have a couple morning sits left in regular season and a couple days of ML to have at it

It can all change in a second. If that big buck you saw stepped out differently. You'd be saying it's a great season!

• Like 3

I went for a still hunt today. I had to walk quite a bit before i hit fresh tracks. I followed a single fresh track and it even smelled rutty for a bit. Then i stumbled onto a fresh bed,i think a buck bed. I must have missed him by not very much time..

I worked my way across to the other side of the road and spooked a couple of does while i was climbing a steep slope. Then i worked my way along the ridge and when it turned back towards my house i saw some deer ahead. I stopped and looked for more than the one,and as it turns out there were 7 altogether,all does that walked off slowly. No buck in tow...Now it was getting close to dark when i got to another area with fresh tracks and again saw some deer ahead. And guess what they were...correct,does. All in all a good amount of deer seen,but no doe tag until MZ opens. I think i might give up on regular gun season and hold out for MZ.

Since October 1 Ive sat 119.75 hours in legal shooting light . My worst performance in a long time  Still have a couple morning sits left in regular season and a couple days of ML to have at it

2 with the bow and 1 with the gun of a remember right?

Nothing to be disappointed in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

Nothing so far here in 6g.,.,... C'mon Deer!!!4b2e4bc3e0d9da0521d1f5a2e4b136b3.jpg&key=13fd15bd71c3139771053fd9d7b97ad3ad20ba097e3240af45aefa0ae65af12d

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Are you in an area of low hunting pressure? Hunting field edges this point in the season in most places is a tough go. You have logged the hours in for sure. Hope you grab some luck soon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Enders said:

15B26E63-65CF-4ACB-B1ED-02713FAC72B4.jpeg

Congrats on that kill.   I am not certain how many button bucks that I have killed in my 38 seasons, but the number might be between 12 and 20.   Those included many "firsts" including my first deer with a gun, first with a bow, first during the late muzzleloader season, first from the ground with a crossbow, and first "double".   When filling dmp tags, I always target the largest deer in the group first and that has often turned out to be a button buck, especially when it is just a single deer or a pair.  I am the only hunter in our family and we get most of our protein from venison. I am not blessed with enough opportunities at antlerless deer to be real fussy about which ones I do and do not shoot at.  Oddly enough, I have never killed a doe fawn.   

One thing is for sure, there are no finer eating bucks on the table.   It is always cause for great celebration, in our family, when I bring home a "fatted calf" like that.   The livers are especially good.  Hopefully you did not leave that in the gut pile.  One of the best things about button bucks, is that the meat can be processed and froze right away, without aging a while (at 32-42 deg F) for the rigor mortis to work out, as must be done with older deer unless you don't mind all the extra chewing required. 

I still have (4) antlerless tags left and I am really hoping to be able to use one of them on a button buck.   I guess my regular season buck tag also turns into an either/or tag for the late ML season, so I could legally take (5) of them this year, if I still have it by then.   I will be super thankful for just one however, but I really don't expect it.  button bucks have been an "every other year" thing since my first year hunting.   The odd number years are the off ones for me and button bucks.

If anyone is heartbroken over killing one, shoot me a pm and I will gladly take it off your hands for you.          

Edited by wolc123

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Congrats on that kill.   I am not certain how button bucks that I have killed in my 38 seasons, but the number might be between 12 and 20.   Those included many "firsts" including my first deer with a gun, first with a bow, first during the late muzzleloader season, first from the ground with a crossbow, and first "double".   When filling dmp tags, I always target the largest deer in the group first and that has often turned out to be a button buck, especially when it is just a single deer or a pair.  I am the only hunter in our family and we get most of our protein from venison. I am not blessed with enough opportunities at antlerless deer to be real fussy about which ones I do and do not shoot at.  Oddly enough, I have never killed a doe fawn.   

One thing is for sure, there are no finer eating bucks on the table.   It is always cause for great celebration, in our family, when I bring home a "fatted calf" like that.   The livers are especially good.  Hopefully you did not leave that in the gut pile.  One of the best things about button bucks, is that the meat can be processed and froze right away, without aging a while (at 32-42 deg F) for the rigor mortis to work out, as must be done with older deer unless you don't mind all the extra chewing required. 

I still have (4) antlerless tags left and I am really hoping to be able to use one of them on a button buck.   I guess my regular season buck tag also turns into an either/or tag for the late ML season, so I could legally take (5) of them this year, if I still have it by then.   I will be super thankful for just one however, but I really don't expect it.  button bucks have been an "every other year" thing since my first year hunting.   The odd number years are the off ones for me and button bucks.

If anyone is heartbroken over killing one, shoot me a pm and I will gladly take it off your hands for you.          

I hear you man, thanks for the post. I did take the liver and heart with me, I cant wait to get the meat back I keep hearing good things!

• Like 4

Are you in an area of low hunting pressure? Hunting field edges this point in the season in most places is a tough go. You have logged the hours in for sure. Hope you grab some luck soon.

Yeah I'm the only one who hunts it and I try to give it 4 or 5 days between hunts. The neidhboring propertys are not hunted much either. This is a 76 acre parcel but prably 60 of the acres are made up of 3 different fields.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Made it out for an afternoon sit. I saw a few tracks indicating they are moving after dark and places they have been digging up acorns but no deer. Pulled a trail cam that has been sitting for two weeks and the only movement is at night. No bucks but a nice fat doe for sure.

IMG_20191204_143229[1].jpg

IMG_20191204_143204[1].jpg

IMG_0005.JPG

So I have not been out last couple of days . My husband is in the hospital he has a blockage . So the first day he was like I am shocked your here and not out hunting lolol. Hopefully  he comes.home Tomorrow  so I can get out there and fill a tag . I have to stop pushing to others and get.mine first lolol

• Like 4
  • Sad 8

10 hours ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Are there still any bucks out there? I haven't seen any on my trail cameras, and spent the entire day Monday following tracks and only saw doe. 

Weird year for me because that's all I'm seeing is bucks, live and on camera. But I've had years where I'm not as lucky. Keep after them! I've seen the same eight point the last three afternoons at the same time heading for food. Love late season!

• Like 1

So I have not been out last couple of days . My husband is in the hospital he has a blockage . So the first day he was like I am shocked your here and not out hunting lolol. Hopefully  he comes.home Tomorrow  so I can get out there and fill a tag . I have to stop pushing to others and get.mine first lolol

Sorry to hear that Cynthia-hang tough!

• Like 2