LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

So I have not been out last couple of days . My husband is in the hospital he has a blockage . So the first day he was like I am shocked your here and not out hunting lolol. Hopefully  he comes.home Tomorrow  so I can get out there and fill a tag . I have to stop pushing to others and get.mine first lolol

Best wishes for your husband and a speedy recovery. Family always comes before hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally stopped coughing long enough to sit on stand again this afternoon. It was beautiful outside. Saw one doe and fawn up hill from in thick stuff, no shot. Nothing else until I came down the hill and spotted a big doe standing perfectly broadside about 100 yards away. She stood long enough to tempt me into thinking about chambering a round and taking the relatively easy shot but I passed. 

There were tracks all over the place today in the fields and woods. They must have been moving like crazy. 

So today was my last gun sit before the late season. I have to say it’s been a interesting year for me. I don’t log hours but it’s been a lot. I saw the biggest deer I’ve ever seen from a stand. I’ve seen deer every trip out which for the Catskills is amazing. I have had legal bucks in range a few times and yet I am deerless. I have to say this is sort of by choice. We took 6 deer off of our 25 acres last year and I kind of wanted to give it a rest. I told my self for me to shoot it this year it would have to be my biggest buck to date. So far I have stuck to that, let’s see if I do in the late season...

Had this guy at 20 yards today he wouldn’t leave even as I was cutting down a small tree

ad25293d615cf1ca038289c104fb5cef.jpg

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Crickets.     I set alarm and said nope for possible crappy drive. Windy.  I’ll put up more Christmas lights and appease the wife. Last gun chance tomorrow morning. Good luck y’all 

Be careful ,maybe take your cell phone on the roof ... ya,know just in case the ladder slides out and leaves you stranded on the roof.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Crickets.     I set alarm and said nope for possible crappy drive. Windy.  I’ll put up more Christmas lights and appease the wife. Last gun chance tomorrow morning. Good luck y’all 

strategic planning for next year - muzzleloader last day will be Dec 22 - so instead of having to worry about time to put up xmas lights - go full redneck and leave them up this year. - your welcome 

• Like 4

With no 4H DMP and 30+ inches of snow, guess I'll have to make do with following this thread for the remainder of this season.

Even though I know where the deer will be! Late season in the snow can be very productive, with the deer more settled down and patternable. Some of my best bucks have come at this time of the season.

Best of luck to all still trying to punch tags!!

• Like 3

With no 4H DMP and 30+ inches of snow, guess I'll have to make do with following this thread for the remainder of this season.
Even though I know where the deer will be! Late season in the snow can be very productive, with the deer more settled down and patternable. Some of my best bucks have come at this time of the season.
Best of luck to all still trying to punch tags!!

Want to borrow my snowmobile so you can get out for muzzleloader, you’re more than welcome to use it!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Want to borrow my snowmobile so you can get out for muzzleloader, you’re more than welcome to use it!

What a nice offer! Thanks so much my friend! But I'll decline.

If I do go out for muzzleloader, I have a spot on the south end of our property, I can get to with snowshoes. South facing slope with thick pines, on the bottom. With an abundant oak ridge still loaded with acorns above. This spot has produced over and over again in late season, over the decades.

• Like 1

What a nice offer! Thanks so much my friend! But I'll decline.
If I do go out for muzzleloader, I have a spot on the south end of our property, I can get to with snowshoes. South facing slope with thick pines, on the bottom. With an abundant oak ridge still loaded with acorns above. This spot has produced over and over again in late season, over the decades.

If you change hour mind or need it for dragging it’s yours to use, for a cup of coffee I’ll even deliver.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

So I have not been out last couple of days . My husband is in the hospital he has a blockage . So the first day he was like I am shocked your here and not out hunting lolol. Hopefully  he comes.home Tomorrow  so I can get out there and fill a tag . I have to stop pushing to others and get.mine first lolol

hoping for good news. plenty of time to hunt in the future. family first.

33 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I still have two new hunters to get on a deer!  I hope the deer cooperate.  One more sit each.

mines been out for two sits. to say i'm not worried is an understatement. had a deer the first sit at 50 yards but couldn't seal the deal. even with everything going on i'm hoping i can get him out this weekend. gotta get the smoke pole ready i think. in case this pushes into late season.

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

mines been out for two sits. to say i'm not worried is an understatement. had a deer the first sit at 50 yards but couldn't seal the deal. even with everything going on i'm hoping i can get him out this weekend. gotta get the smoke pole ready i think. in case this pushes into late season.

The QDMA guy had two great opportunities on nice bucks but couldn't seal the deal.  We sat twice so far, including all day on opener.  Is what it is.  Going to try once more. 

The other is a new hunter that works with me and was promised by a buddy to take him out.  Hasn't happened, so I offered to try to get him out.  We shall see.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

The QDMA guy had two great opportunities on nice bucks but couldn't seal the deal.  We sat twice so far, including all day on opener.  Is what it is.  Going to try once more. 

The other is a new hunter that works with me and was promised by a buddy to take him out.  Hasn't happened, so I offered to try to get him out.  We shall see.

they're still finding it worth it and enjoyable but we both know success will get set the hook much deeper. lol it ain't over until it's over. worse case is i still send him home with some venison as a participation prize.

• Like 3

Made it out for a morning sit in the same area as yesterday afternoon. Tracks everywhere that were not there when I left at dark. To add insult to injury three deer actually came up the hill last night and walked in the exact same track I took on the way out:banghead: Pretty frustrating to say the least. They have been hitting the beech nuts and acorns big time.

IMG_20191205_092551.jpg

IMG_20191205_092520.jpg

IMG_20191205_092349_1CS.jpg

• Like 1