LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

1 minute ago, dbHunterNY said:

they're still finding it worth it and enjoyable but we both know success will get set the hook much deeper. lol it ain't over until it's over. worse case is i still send him home with some venison as a participation prize.

Hey ,hey ,hey, this is deer hunting we don’t give out participation trophy’s here 

just kidding,  best of luck...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rob-c said:

Hey ,hey ,hey, this is deer hunting we don’t give out participation trophy’s here 

just kidding,  best of luck...

actually the participation prize is my sled taking him up the hill versus making him walk through at least a couple miles of 2+' deep snow and about 500' of elevation change. lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

Live from the front porch. Approximately  25 yards. Two youngsters trying to scavenge from under my apple trees. Only youngsters are this foolish this time of the year. 

86A36EA0-6F6A-4A5C-9632-69FD764C4032.jpeg

Young and dumb, we’ve all been there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Belo said:

Had my first ever jury summons this week and was called to go in today. Even got picked for the first group of 14. I’m not sure what I said but I was released. Took that as a sign to hunt the lake effect snow storm in 8F.

Love snow camo
34787196ac9ff8642e06df1e2710d9b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot a buck!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

Had my first ever jury summons this week and was called to go in today. Even got picked for the first group of 14. I’m not sure what I said but I was released. Took that as a sign to hunt the lake effect snow storm in 8F.

Love snow camo
34787196ac9ff8642e06df1e2710d9b3.jpg

No orange at all?  no chance any hunters are near you ? 

On 12/3/2019 at 11:00 PM, Enders said:

I got my hunting license at the end of October, went out on 5 hunts before this one and today with the help of friends I got a button buck which I thought was a doe so I took it. Even though I hate the idea of taking such a young buck I can’t take it back so here he is. My fist deer ever. It was a hell of a hike and a grueling hike back. Until next season. 

15B26E63-65CF-4ACB-B1ED-02713FAC72B4.jpeg

Congratulations! Don't feel bad at all.  Any deer taken on public land from the ground is a trophy for sure. Hopefully you also learned in the process since you are new to the sport. Each time I go out, I learn something new. To me, that's the most fun about it all. Enjoy that meat!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

If you shoot 25’ up in a tree I’m not sure orange would matter. Even states with mandatory orange laws don’t require it 12’ and up

FYI - deer don't see orange. it's brown. It's the best camo you can wear

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

If you shoot 25’ up in a tree I’m not sure orange would matter. Even states with mandatory orange laws don’t require it 12’ and up

Yea I guess until  you come down  what about the walk in and out ,Still a chance .

Unless you are really remote somewhere. Just a hat always good to have at least . 

Say you fall and break a leg or something  or some other health  issue and are unconscious and they have to come looking for you  dressed  in all  camo it's just going to be much harder for them to find you then having some orange on.

All ways good to have some on you.

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 2

When I hunt the afternoon I always set the alarm on my phone for the end up legal shooting time. Went out this afternoon and sat through the swirling winds and blowing snow until dark(legal). I packed  my stuff up and headed out, go about 25 yards from where I was sitting and see two deer about 60 yards away. I head their way and drop down into a little dip and when I come up there they are broadside 50 yards away. Couldn't see any horns but I have two doe tags for that area.

I pull the gun up and can see them clear as day through the scope. I look at my watch and it is just about  nine minutes after legal so I lower the gun and  watch them feed for a little bit then mosey on down the hill to my truck. First deer I have seen in fourteen days.

With only three days left I know I did the right thing and will just have to take my chances for the remainder of the season.

IMG_20191205_145301.jpg

• Like 14

A short sit on stand this morning.  Filled my 7M doe tag.  Deer tracks were everyplace I looked on my way to my stand, and all around my stand as well. Something has them on their feet. My sits have been few in number and pretty short in length with a severe respiratory infection kicking my rear almost all gun season. I'll put story on harvest thread tomorrow. I'm calling it a day, a good but tiring one at that. 

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, Steve D said:

When I hunt the afternoon I always set the alarm on my phone for the end up legal shooting time. Went out this afternoon and sat through the swirling winds and blowing snow until dark(legal). I packed  my stuff up and headed out, go about 25 yards from where I was sitting and see two deer about 60 yards away. I head their way and drop down into a little dip and when I come up there they are broadside 50 yards away. Couldn't see any horns but I have two doe tags for that area.

I pull the gun up and can see them clear as day through the scope. I look at my watch and it is just about  nine minutes after legal so I lower the gun and  watch them feed for a little bit then mosey on down the hill to my truck. First deer I have seen in fourteen days.

With only three days left I know I did the right thing and will just have to take my chances for the remainder of the season.

IMG_20191205_145301.jpg

Had a very similar experience yesterday, but by only 4 minutes after sunset. I don't set my alarm (great idea by the way) but I watch my phone like a hawk towards the end of the afternoon making sure I don't goof up with the time, especially on overcast days and/or snowy days when it is hard for me to be certain the sun is dropping below the horizon. 

Then today I think I was rewarded by taking a nice big doe. Judging from her size and that she was all alone, I almost wonder if she's the same one I watched last night. 

I think you too will be rewarded for making the right decision. Good luck!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Crickets.     I set alarm and said nope for possible crappy drive. Windy.  I’ll put up more Christmas lights and appease the wife. Last gun chance tomorrow morning. Good luck y’all 

Coming along. Icicle lights and 900 blue n White Lights need some power yet.   I’m hunting in the morning. Stand I saw slob buck at 17 yards with no shot.  Going in hot 

9B94B547-D527-4A41-96EF-1B98F29E1B61.jpeg

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 13

6 minutes ago, NockednLoaded said:

20191205_155519.thumb.jpg.4ee043594a370c001fd456aaad33bae6.jpg

Evening sit for hunting partner and I. We passed on a button buck at 2:30 60 yds away. That was all we saw.  On way home farm fields were full of deer after dusk. 

20191205_135103.jpg

Great JOB!

Hopefully that young man will be my paperboy someday....... :)

• Like 1

Got out all day today, saw more deer today then all season (of course the snow helped). Pull up to one of my spots with a spike I saw opening day literally standing in my parking spot.

Decided to try a different spot after he went running. Fresh tracks everywhere. Took long way around to a bedding area to keep wind in my favor, by time I got there sun was up and I see fresh tracks coming from the bedding area, followed them and spooked a feeding doe. 

Was able to pick up fresh tracks and locate a out 10 deer (two different locations), and also came across 3 does bedded down together ((no doe tags). One big one went running when I was on another track, couldnt count point but that was the one I was waiting for. 

I saw for a few hours with nothing so got up to keep warm. Gonna try to sit still tomorrow - not exactly sure how to still hunt and get close enough without spooking them. 

20191205_084528.jpg

20191205_151931.jpg

20191205_144756.jpg

20191205_131223.jpg

20191205_094815.jpg

20191205_123806.jpg

• Like 3

IMG_20191205_145301.thumb.jpg.564062bf19473414d01e26401abcc72e.jpg

Ny sucks I doubt many here would have faulted you for pulling the trigger

Plans have changed for this morning hunt grrrr.got a call yesterday morning from g/f and that she put car in the ditch coming down hill in henrietta,yuck!!left work and got it out with the help of a LEO and a gent working near by with a shovel(thanks!!!!).snow again this morning so taking her to work and coming back to get new snow tires on her car.good luck to any venturing out today