LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Punched a tag in the final hour tonight. This is my first doe ever and shot with my grandfathers rifle that hadn't killed a deer in nearly 50 years. A nice end to a challenging rifle season. 26377fc5ca7ed0371f69948cba3acc7a.jpg&key=320e8014efbf060445767bad096b96e64ea2b6ad93547d14d5748d89348ce631

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Congratulations! The first one always has a special place in you memory bank and to do it with your grandfathers rifle makes it that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, monahmat said:

Punched a tag in the final hour tonight. This is my first doe ever and shot with my grandfathers rifle that hadn't killed a deer in nearly 50 years. A nice end to a challenging rifle season. 26377fc5ca7ed0371f69948cba3acc7a.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Congrats...Appears to be an 03 Springfield....

• Like 1

Looks like it was a good end of gun season for a lot of you - way to go! I had a contact fall out about 345 and had to hunt the last hour with a make shaft eye patch lol. Fortunately not my primary eye, but definitely not the best combination with my choice to sit on a real thick creek bed. This week looks really good with a cold front coming in late Tuesday night. One of the farmers I deal with opened up ~1k additional acres to me to hunt for black powder so I have some serious speed scouting to do over the next few days. I don’t think it’s been hunted much if at all so really hoping to find some good sign and get on some new bucks. Most of it is a ways off the road and pretty well hidden so going to call in some favors and get a quad since I sold mine

• Like 1

17 hours ago, G-Man said:

Last day , best buck for the oldest member of camp, his personal best from 55 years of hunting! one of my.personal personal goals this year was to get him a chance.. bonus on drive I took buck as well but it had shed its horns..

that's awesome for him, congrats! There's always a small part of me that feels for the deer taken on the last day. Like damn, you were this close buddy haha

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Steve D said:

Started the day with 18 degrees and a 12 degree windchill. Spent most of the day in the woods just coming home to shed some clothes after it warmed up to 40. Howling winds all day 20-40 mph. Sad to see it end but glad it is over. Hear the last shot a 5:10 on the way out :angry:.  I might try to get out with the bow if we get some decent weather but it doesn't sound to good at the present time and I need a break for a couple of days.

Sitting back and reading the bible with some crown royal. Congratulations  to all of those that were able to fill some tags this year.

I did come across something interesting today.

Sunrise, Sunset, and todays find:

IMG_20191208_155221.jpg

IMG_20191208_111049.jpg

IMG_20191208_072014.jpg

IMG_20191208_175332.jpg

6 doe skulls? strange

3 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

Looks like it was a good end of gun season for a lot of you - way to go! I had a contact fall out about 345 and had to hunt the last hour with a make shaft eye patch lol. Fortunately not my primary eye, but definitely not the best combination with my choice to sit on a real thick creek bed. This week looks really good with a cold front coming in late Tuesday night. One of the farmers I deal with opened up ~1k additional acres to me to hunt for black powder so I have some serious speed scouting to do over the next few days. I don’t think it’s been hunted much if at all so really hoping to find some good sign and get on some new bucks. Most of it is a ways off the road and pretty well hidden so going to call in some favors and get a quad since I sold mine

That is awesome to get new ground that has hardly been hunted at this stage of the game. I am thinking of scouting some stateland by me with my MZ in hand for some new spots next bow season. I am curious as to how much pressure the state land nearby gets,i kind of think not very much.I will report my findings later this week.

9 minutes ago, NockednLoaded said:

We had a doe come in right before buzzer. Looked a bit small so passed. fun evening heard one shot kinda close. 

20191209_164403.jpg

20191209_141131.jpg

Is that a  drumstick  ice cream cone that he’s putting a hurting on? Yum.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

Got the muzzy out for a quick look before heading out in the morning. Breech plug was stuck and they don't provide the tool for it. A little ingenuity and some elbow grease and I was able to get it out. I put it away clean last year but there was some fouling on the threads and in the barrel so I gave it a good scrub tonight. Should be good to go in the morning. I wonder if moisture in the room caused it? 

IMG_20191209_175043126.jpg

7 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

6 doe skulls? strange

Actually they looked  like one could have been a coon(raccoon) and another a fox skull, they were not all deer but definitely a strange thing to find in the middle of nowhere. Makes you wonder what kind of people are roaming them thar hills. The fact they could find the same tree over and over and would keep going back makes me wonder about the person and what their motive might be. :crazy:

1 minute ago, Bolt action said:

Maybe fouling is the wrong term.. there was what appeared to be a little surface rust in the barrel and on the breech plug threading even though it was out away clean.

I put a paste on breach plug threads when I put it away. Not a lot just a dab. its made by Thompson center fire. It's like an anti seize kind of thing. 

• Like 3