LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

I put a paste on breach plug threads when I put it away. Not a lot just a dab. its made by Thompson center fire. It's like an anti seize kind of thing. 
I've had mine stick even with the lube after sitting in the cabinet for a year so I just leave the breach plug out for the year. Not convinced there isn't some moisture in the lube as well as the humidity in the house throughout the year.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bolt action said:

Got the muzzy out for a quick look before heading out in the morning. Breech plug was stuck and they don't provide the tool for it. A little ingenuity and some elbow grease and I was able to get it out. I put it away clean last year but there was some fouling on the threads and in the barrel so I gave it a good scrub tonight. Should be good to go in the morning. I wonder if moisture in the room caused it? 

IMG_20191209_175043126.jpg

do you use breech plug lube on the threads before storing it? Highly recommended.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

Actually they looked  like one could have been a coon(raccoon) and another a fox skull, they were not all deer but definitely a strange thing to find in the middle of nowhere. Makes you wonder what kind of people are roaming them thar hills. The fact they could find the same tree over and over and would keep going back makes me wonder about the person and what their motive might be. :crazy:

Add a few crows and I found the same thing years ago.Called a biologist he said most likely someone poisoned the deer and the scavengers died after eating the deer.All the animals where in the same area about 50 ft. from each other.

Edited by rachunter
added

21 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Well it turns out I was hunting without an ACL this year.  Maybe that hike I took up and around the side of the hill in slippery 2 inches of snow wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done.  Surgery in January, should be mobile by Turkey season.

Good luck with the surgery. I had a torn ACL for over three years before i got it fixed,it doesn't put you out of comission entirely,especially if your meniscus is ok and you have some muscles in your leg.

Be a good boy and do the rehab diligently.

Well it turns out I was hunting without an ACL this year.  Maybe that hike I took up and around the side of the hill in slippery 2 inches of snow wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done.  Surgery in January, should be mobile by Turkey season.
You'll be mobile well before Valentine's Day

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Steve D said:

Actually they looked  like one could have been a coon(raccoon) and another a fox skull, they were not all deer but definitely a strange thing to find in the middle of nowhere. Makes you wonder what kind of people are roaming them thar hills. The fact they could find the same tree over and over and would keep going back makes me wonder about the person and what their motive might be. :crazy:

I would do something like that just to mess with them and maybe see them post it up on a hunting forum or something...:rofl:

Edited by Steuben Jerry

I processed the bigger doe I shot saturday and she weighed in at 140 field dressed. I was thinking she was going to be at least 150 but I’ve never weighed a doe before. Does anyone else weigh their does? If so, what’s an average doe weigh? I shot a big one last year that I got 60 pounds of meat off but I didn’t get a dressed weight on her.

07eb9b152f708aa1f5486df9f88d07ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I processed the bigger doe I shot saturday and she weighed in at 140 field dressed. I was thinking she was going to be at least 150 but I’ve never weighed a doe before. Does anyone else weigh their does? If so, what’s an average doe weigh? I shot a big one last year that I got 60 pounds of meat off but I didn’t get a dressed weight on her.

07eb9b152f708aa1f5486df9f88d07ef.jpg&key=8cba2c1109216794f7be39921932a02f39ae11f35ed444cfae296ff926130170

140# dressed doe is huge, the average around me is 110-115.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

140# dressed doe is huge, the average around me is 110-115.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

140 is a very big doe.  My buddy shot one that was 168 field dressed but she was Doezilla.  I agree with others that an average good size doe is in the 110lb range.

• Like 3

I shot one when I was an teenager  out in  Woodhull . Had to pull into  deer check station  on the way  home .  Biologist  said I had a huge doe . Turns out it was 169 and ounces dressed .  Haven't seen one that big since.

Wish I could find the Polaroids my gramps took ... dont know who in the family got them .

Edited by Nytracker

40 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

i weigh everything as we keep records. 140 is a very big mature doe for sure. Average doe being 115 or so in my area. A good doe being any over 125.

• Like 1