LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

17 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

I'm thinking about going out later today in the rain. I've read that rain does not affect deer, but in my experience, I never see anything while it's coming down, but they all come out right after it stops. What's everyone else's experience?

I dont think it affects deer. But it does sour the hunter experience and can be a risk for tracking depending on how hard it's raining. Also be careful with black powder in rain, be sure to tape the end of your barrel and try and keep your gun as dry as possible if not in a blind/shelter. I've sat in some snow storms with the smoke pole and have been able to keep my gun in my lap with my parka draped over the trigger and receiver section.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I processed the bigger doe I shot saturday and she weighed in at 140 field dressed. I was thinking she was going to be at least 150 but I’ve never weighed a doe before. Does anyone else weigh their does? If so, what’s an average doe weigh? I shot a big one last year that I got 60 pounds of meat off but I didn’t get a dressed weight on her.

07eb9b152f708aa1f5486df9f88d07ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

140 is a big doe, we shoot them consistently in PA. Ny I’m happy with a 125# doe. I’m sure it is dependent on what type of land With food you have also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

140 is a very big doe.  My buddy shot one that was 168 field dressed but she was Doezilla.  I agree with others that an average good size doe is in the 110lb range.

Ive said it before, 140lb does and scales are like Superman and Clark Kent, you never see them in the same room lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Belo said:

that's awesome for him, congrats! There's always a small part of me that feels for the deer taken on the last day. Like damn, you were this close buddy haha

We said the exact same thing! Had another guy miss another big one on the drive so one escaped till next year ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheHornHunter said:

I processed the bigger doe I shot saturday and she weighed in at 140 field dressed. I was thinking she was going to be at least 150 but I’ve never weighed a doe before. Does anyone else weigh their does? If so, what’s an average doe weigh? I shot a big one last year that I got 60 pounds of meat off but I didn’t get a dressed weight on her.

07eb9b152f708aa1f5486df9f88d07ef.jpg

1.5 year old does weigh 101 to 105 here,

2.5 weigh about 110 to 115

3.5 weigh in the 120's

I cant age doe over 3.5 to a year accurately but largest we ever weighed was shot by a neighbor and was over 180. Dressed had 5 inches of fat on it's back we tried for her for 3 years and she was huge every year and at least 3 when we 1st targeted her.so maybe 6 or 7 years old ? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I let a 4 pointer walk on the final Tuesday of ML last year, I like to think hes the buck I killed this year. Hes probably not, but im going with it lol

The one I got sun was a buck that shed it antlers already , I do not like that our seasons are so long last year muzzleloader we took 3 buck that had shed already.. I'm to the point I dont like hunting late season as killing a shed buck with 2.5 in bases still bloody is a true let down. And you then try and think what buck it may of been.. smh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

The one I got sun was a buck that shed it antlers already , I do not like that our seasons are so long last year muzzleloader we took 3 buck that had shed already.. I'm to the point I dont like hunting late season as killing a shed buck with 2.5 in bases still bloody is a true let down. And you then try and think what buck it may of been.. smh

Last year was the first I can remember a lot of shed bucks being taken, myself included. This year seems to be the same, maybe its these long winters we are having? Our bucks have Low-T, we need to start sprinkling Nugenix on our food plots

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

I'm thinking about going out later today in the rain. I've read that rain does not affect deer, but in my experience, I never see anything while it's coming down, but they all come out right after it stops. What's everyone else's experience?

Deer like rain.....

Were these deer taken on drives?

I guessing if your in a ground blind or stand you can id a shed buck? Just like being able to id a button or none legal 3" spiker.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1.5 year old does weigh 101 to 105 here,
2.5 weigh about 110 to 115
3.5 weigh in the 120's
I cant age doe over 3.5 to a year accurately but largest we ever weighed was shot by a neighbor and was over 180. Dressed had 5 inches of fat on it's back we tried for her for 3 years and she was huge every year and at least 3 when we 1st targeted her.so maybe 6 or 7 years old ? 

Holy smokes! This deer had about an inch of fat and I was impressed with that. That’s a freaking monster

I shot one when I was an teenager  out in  Woodhull . Had to pull into  deer check station  on the way  home .  Biologist  said I had a huge doe . Turns out it was 169 and ounces dressed .  Haven't seen one that big since.
Wish I could find the Polaroids my gramps took ... dont know who in the family got them .

That’s a big doe!

Fun Fact on does. My brother's friend was hunting stateland alone and shot his first ever deer (a doe).  He kept calling his dad and my brother to help him drag and they both told him no that it was a doe and he could drag it easily himself. He kept saying "its so heavy, its so heavy". The guy got caught up in the excitement and never gutted it! Anyway, he gets it to the butcher and the butcher goes "holy shit, it's a monster". Before gutting it, they weighed it at 209lbs! so maybe 170 dressed? This was probably 15 years ago

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

I killed a really big one a few years ago, I asked the Deer Shop to weigh her. When I picked her up I asked if they did and the guy says "Oh yeah", and writes 175lbs on the sheet. I dont believe he weighed her but I do think she was in that 140 range. She was absolutely smoked with the .270 and went over 330 yards

KEuEckQLauCC8MJODisr3Kh7kAgxud8QIo6rC87P0LD5hsE95k5J-eEr1W_1o5sfYzIH2du0G3h6SPfHNlpICYy2iVOTssGU_Li0AJOmmQ6g4XUtCsDti06M3vrThAbVRAX9uhJgcz5JMGh9c35tybsm5xycpnYJHx-dHQG1BC6Qd7nWbz3FFlNAokKnAaiBUOtPF3JS86SKWjZppJkyDryck4B27OCiPCHycA16lfFmXlFldCJS4j7nwmQxmLwwvMExywWTqJ5lpUYfXQxAfcDBrrOAmLFTZH40vJgU8EFWUsSS7mMQL_Qo_Oiew9oCtnhG_AKe7z0SJPgY8ylYVHr_sxryJNPBtvJ1QL4KEw6nfjC3ZubPiXDmxxcAfIX6p-eKj0CN8fCP2VGEAqEe5ItgEgnVo5LHdwNlmZjHHQERwd7cLGfGvwRtFJHUQyGYuS0PhHBLN2IUQwC9NfOgTUJiUQYQYgJKEvX3kibopOTTXueR4OozMuU-vqSNGtwI9oMNLny4bm3GDDqZr0lmgmhdjm1ENJO92acqf0KbqPpHC4t1SMqZXQrWrqQchLkQomF8zsaiQMHV6_ISfzGocZnX4t9SnO54KytvBLGebOMi9Q9FfY7wgmokOmuP8mqsskqTSTowGuhovq6l-qloFmEt2cKYlRaPZDNS1uqHuTlSceQ=w1250-h937-no

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Fun Fact on does. My brother's friend was hunting stateland alone and shot his first ever deer (a doe).  He kept calling his dad and my brother to help him drag and they both told him no that it was a doe and he could drag it easily himself. He kept saying "its so heavy, its so heavy". The guy got caught up in the excitement and never gutted it! Anyway, he gets it to the butcher and the butcher goes "holy shit, it's a monster". Before gutting it, they weighed it at 209lbs! so maybe 170 dressed? This was probably 15 years ago

We need a picture of this guy before we can determine how heavy that deer may have been

31 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Were these deer taken on drives?

I guessing if your in a ground blind or stand you can id a shed buck? Just like being able to id a button or none legal 3" spiker.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

At 80 yards standing not gonna happen unless deer stands still and I have 20x binoculars.  A blind at 20 yards yep no problem .  Last years muzzleloader harvest were out of stands at 80 to 140 yards. This year the one I got was on a drive in a multiflora rose patch.

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

We need a picture of this guy before we can determine how heavy that deer may have been

The guy or the butcher? The guy had no idea it was a big doe. He thought it was a regular deer since he never shot one before.

14 hours ago, Bolt action said:

Got the muzzy out for a quick look before heading out in the morning. Breech plug was stuck and they don't provide the tool for it. A little ingenuity and some elbow grease and I was able to get it out. I put it away clean last year but there was some fouling on the threads and in the barrel so I gave it a good scrub tonight. Should be good to go in the morning. I wonder if moisture in the room caused it? 

IMG_20191209_175043126.jpg

Do you store it in the case? I never do that - always store in the safe with a Golden Rod to remove moisture.   

I killed a really big one a few years ago, I asked the Deer Shop to weigh her. When I picked her up I asked if they did and the guy says "Oh yeah", and writes 175lbs on the sheet. I dont believe he weighed her but I do think she was in that 140 range. She was absolutely smoked with the .270 and went over 330 yards

KEuEckQLauCC8MJODisr3Kh7kAgxud8QIo6rC87P0LD5hsE95k5J-eEr1W_1o5sfYzIH2du0G3h6SPfHNlpICYy2iVOTssGU_Li0AJOmmQ6g4XUtCsDti06M3vrThAbVRAX9uhJgcz5JMGh9c35tybsm5xycpnYJHx-dHQG1BC6Qd7nWbz3FFlNAokKnAaiBUOtPF3JS86SKWjZppJkyDryck4B27OCiPCHycA16lfFmXlFldCJS4j7nwmQxmLwwvMExywWTqJ5lpUYfXQxAfcDBrrOAmLFTZH40vJgU8EFWUsSS7mMQL_Qo_Oiew9oCtnhG_AKe7z0SJPgY8ylYVHr_sxryJNPBtvJ1QL4KEw6nfjC3ZubPiXDmxxcAfIX6p-eKj0CN8fCP2VGEAqEe5ItgEgnVo5LHdwNlmZjHHQERwd7cLGfGvwRtFJHUQyGYuS0PhHBLN2IUQwC9NfOgTUJiUQYQYgJKEvX3kibopOTTXueR4OozMuU-vqSNGtwI9oMNLny4bm3GDDqZr0lmgmhdjm1ENJO92acqf0KbqPpHC4t1SMqZXQrWrqQchLkQomF8zsaiQMHV6_ISfzGocZnX4t9SnO54KytvBLGebOMi9Q9FfY7wgmokOmuP8mqsskqTSTowGuhovq6l-qloFmEt2cKYlRaPZDNS1uqHuTlSceQ=w1250-h937-no&key=217af150558205b9af54af1aecb60dc28f733027a2487f2f6b9412a660d6a3a4
Quit using baby bullets. Step up into a man cartridge in the .300 mag+ range

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I dont think it affects deer. But it does sour the hunter experience and can be a risk for tracking depending on how hard it's raining. Also be careful with black powder in rain, be sure to tape the end of your barrel and try and keep your gun as dry as possible if not in a blind/shelter. I've sat in some snow storms with the smoke pole and have been able to keep my gun in my lap with my parka draped over the trigger and receiver section.

We cut a finger off a rubber glove and put over the barrel . You can shoot with it on it is awesome

• Like 2