LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

5 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

We cut a finger off a rubber glove and put over the barrel . You can shoot with it on it is awesome

I shoot a tang peep sight, so I have to be able to see my front sight...Kinda limits me to tape...That's OK, though..Tape has worked fine for me...

Dang, most of the snow is gone and it just FEELS like the kind of afternoon that the deer will be out feeding...Maybe I better tape up my mud dozer and spend the afternoon in my tower over my food plot...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I shoot a tang peep sight, so I have to be able to see my front sight...Kinda limits me to tape...That's OK, though..Tape has worked fine for me...

Dang, most of the snow is gone and it just FEELS like the kind of afternoon that the deer will be out feeding...Maybe I better tape up my mud dozer and spend the afternoon in my tower over my food plot...

Go for it Dan!  You can even borrow my gorgeous prohunter encore!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Kind of windy this morning so decided to do a little snoop around in a woods that I haven't hunted in a week or so. I spoke with one of the guys hunting it on Monday and he said only one small button buck had been taken and not a lot of deer had been seen. Not a lot of travel sign but in addition to the previous rubs I found some new ones have showed up an there are some really large tracks around. If the winds ever settle down I may take the climber and give it a try with the bow later in the week.

IMG_20191210_104605.jpg

IMG_20191210_103641.jpg

IMG_20191210_103438.jpg

IMG_20191210_100440.jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve D said:

Kind of windy this morning so decided to do a little snoop around in a woods that I haven't hunted in a week or so. I spoke with one the guys hunting it on Monday and he said only one small button buck had been taken and not a lot of deer had been seen. Not a lot of travel sign but in addition to the previous rubs I found some new ones have showed up an there are some really large tracks around. If the winds ever settle down I may take the climber and give it a try with the bow later in the week.

IMG_20191210_104605.jpg

IMG_20191210_103641.jpg

IMG_20191210_103438.jpg

IMG_20191210_100440.jpg

Be safe, but don't let wind stop you.  Most bucks I saw in a day this year was with 20-40mph winds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

You just don't cover the peep sight that's what I do

Good fix for your rifle, Cynthia....Unfortunately the front sight ramp on my old Hawken is flush with the end of the muzzle, so that won't work for me....However a strip of electrical tape or duct tape will...

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Be safe, but don't let wind stop you.  Most bucks I saw in a day this year was with 20-40mph winds.

I can't sit in a tree with those kind of winds especially with a climber. I too have seen quite a few deer during windy days from the ground. I have never shot one from the ground with a bow. Maybe I should give that a try since I have tried just about everything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

Do you store it in the case? I never do that - always store in the safe with a Golden Rod to remove moisture.   

I store it in the safe, but never thought about any sorry of moisture it humidity control for the safe. I just had it in that case getting ready to take it hunting..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve D said:

I can't sit in a tree with those kind of winds especially with a climber. I too have seen quite a few deer during windy days from the ground. I have never shot one from the ground with a bow. Maybe I should give that a try since I have tried just about everything else.

Maybe try to pick a tree with cover and only climb 6-8 feet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I would do something like that just to mess with them and maybe see them post it up on a hunting forum or something...:rofl:

Maybe that is what happened. Will the real hoaxer please step up so I don't have to look over my shoulder each time I am in that woods. Who knows; mine could be on that tree next:hang:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

1.5 year old does weigh 101 to 105 here,

2.5 weigh about 110 to 115

3.5 weigh in the 120's

I cant age doe over 3.5 to a year accurately but largest we ever weighed was shot by a neighbor and was over 180. Dressed had 5 inches of fat on it's back we tried for her for 3 years and she was huge every year and at least 3 when we 1st targeted her.so maybe 6 or 7 years old ? 

That's just about what we have found in Tioga county and Bradford county- Pa.- at least the areas I hunt. We have probably weighed 50 does from those 2 states over the last 15 years.  Our adult does tend to go 90-105, 110 to 118, and 125-130 field dressed. Never have we aged them, but you can almost age them by weight. Haven't weighed any that were heavier, although I suspect I shot one 25 years ago that might have pushed 145.

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

i'm thinking the same. wish i could escape work but can't

1 hour ago, Bolt action said:

I store it in the safe, but never thought about any sorry of moisture it humidity control for the safe. I just had it in that case getting ready to take it hunting..

i got one of these with my last remaining dicks giftcard. About 3 times a year I take it out and plug it in for a day which evaporates the moisture in the beads. I don't know how necessary it is, but for the price it's worth the peace of mind i think

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Breeze-Renewable-Cordless-Dehumidifier/dp/B01DCF0T1Y/ref=sr_1_24?crid=KYYKWUKFRAWP&keywords=gun+safe+moisture+absorber&qid=1576003479&sprefix=gun+safe+mois%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-24

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

Idk what it is about wind that gets them up and moving but my best days of hunting have been in those 20-40 mph winds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossy oak did a 20 year study. More big deer were killed on windy days than calm days. As the wind increases, so do the kills. 

I saw a doe a few hrs ago just 150 yds from my driveway,so i got dressed and went after her. I snuck along the road a bit and the into the woods and one turned into three. I watched them feed for a bit and then they all bedded down,about 90 yds away. I was getting chilled,it was still drizzling here and tried to move to get a more open lane,but mama deer saw me and they took off. Oh well,still time left...

• Like 2

Well, all the snow disappeared overnight here in 8H. Trying a stand that hasn’t been used since gun opener. Swamp to the south of me and power lines to the East. Corn field (uncut) to the southwest. 
Oops! Posted this in wrong forum originally. 
The evening ended with no sightings. Sighhhh. 

D49B276F-471D-47AF-98C5-02908C6BA050.jpeg

9 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

I processed the bigger doe I shot saturday and she weighed in at 140 field dressed. I was thinking she was going to be at least 150 but I’ve never weighed a doe before. Does anyone else weigh their does? If so, what’s an average doe weigh? I shot a big one last year that I got 60 pounds of meat off but I didn’t get a dressed weight on her.

07eb9b152f708aa1f5486df9f88d07ef.jpg

Holy DoeZilla…….

Biggest I killed weighed 168 dressed. She was a horse. Of course it fell down a deep ravine of extremely thick stuff. I had to use my leather belt to drag her and it broke on me. Several stops for the dry heaves....and eating snow to quench my thirst....I finally got her out.

Holy DoeZilla…….

Biggest I killed weighed 168 dressed. She was a horse. Of course it fell down a deep ravine of extremely thick stuff. I had to use my leather belt to drag her and it broke on me. Several stops for the dry heaves....and eating snow to quench my thirst....I finally got her out.

Damn, that is a horse! Gotta love how they always manage to find the worst place to die. I lucked out with this one and she dropped right in a clover field so I was able to drive my truck right up to her.