LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

sunfish and venison for dinner last night... poor(smart) man's surf and turf. Caught the sunfish on worms on a hot day and the venison with a crossbow on a cold one. Fish dipped in egg, breadcrumbs and pan fried, deer (just various chunks) sauteed in oil and butter and deglazed with red wine. Doesn't food always taste better when you work for it? Looking forward to Oct 1st.

dinner.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

After today I am off for 4 days for last push.  I am planning to sit all day tomorrow- packing a lunch and thermos to get some work done out there. Wind is right for the big buck stand on the cornfield.  

Fingers crossed for ya .,

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

sunfish and venison for dinner last night... poor(smart) man's surf and turf. Caught the sunfish on worms on a hot day and the venison with a crossbow on a cold one. Fish dipped in egg, breadcrumbs and pan fried, deer (just various chunks) sauteed in oil and butter and deglazed with red wine. Doesn't food always taste better when you work for it? Looking forward to Oct 1st.

dinner.jpg

Richer men wish they had it that good !  There is NOTHING better than that in any restaurante!

• Like 2

Good luck to anyone still getting out.. and especially good luck to guys like Rob who are putting the time in but not seeing anything! It'll happen.

Just made plans for my last sit of the year on Sunday coming up. My buddy who is older and hasn't seen anything is coming to my property for a try. My freezer is full but I'll happily drop a doe for him. I need to break in this ml properly!

• Like 3

Really?!?!?! 90% chance of rain Sat morning in 1C and 80% throughout the rest of the day?? It may just be me but I don't like hunting in the rain. I guess I will be sleeping in and helping Santa with them goodies. Hmmm, Sunday Afternoon??? That's "family day". O boy is she gonna be mad when I get home lol. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, goosifer said:

hypothermia, and seeing deer, are my main concerns. I have a rain poncho, but I would probably have to cut it to go over the hunting jacket hood.

Oh I thought you were worried about the gun. Its the bottom of the ninth, get mobile, get your eyes on a deer even if you jump it. You may just get lucky

• Like 2

Just now, Belo said:

eh. I'll take a nice filet and crab. I love wild game. live off the stuff, but I'm not a fool either. 

That and rich men can hunt and fish too !  Plus some guys deer here are thousands of dollars each .

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

That and rich men can hunt and fish too !  Plus some guys deer here are thousands of dollars each .

oh man don't remind me. Even if you're a blue collar guy, if you added up your hourly rate and the vacation time you took to hunt and divided it by pounds of meat... and that's just the value of your time and not including gas and equipment. Oh lawd have mercy the price of all the equipment. 

sobs quietly in the corner

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Belo said:

eh. I'll take a nice filet and crab. I love wild game. live off the stuff, but I'm not a fool either. 

Don't need to be a fool to prefer wild game to each their own. I always enjoy game I have harvested more than brought to me on a plate. Just a preference.  Will take a home cooked meal over a restaurant meal most of the time.   Foolish or not. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I always aim for $ 1 per pound for my venison, after subtracting input costs.  I have got it for less than that a few years, including last.   I am not doing so hot this year however, having purchased a new scope for my shotgun and 3 new mechanical broadheads for my crossbow. I am at about $ 3 per pound right now.  Hopefully, some action over my last (3) days of ML hunting will bring it down some.  I also prefer wild game, over food bought from the store or restaurants (especially the oysters).  More folks probably would too, if only they had the balls to give them a try.      

• Like 1

I’ll fess up. Off today , alarm went off at 4:15 this morning. Turned alarm off , woke up at 5:30 and realized what a great morning it was.  Cold , sunny and no wind. Oh well. Felt good doing absolutely nothing   Couple opportunities left so theirs still hope. Gotta make a birdie down the last few holes. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I always aim for $ 1 per pound for my venison, after subtracting input costs.  I have got it for less than that a few years, including last.   I am not doing so hot this year however, having purchased a new scope for my shotgun and 3 new mechanical broadheads for my crossbow. I am at about $ 3 per pound right now.  Hopefully, some action over my last (3) days of ML hunting will bring it down some.  I also prefer wild game, over food bought from the store or restaurants (especially the oysters).  More folks probably would too, if only they had the balls to give them a try.      

That scope and all your other equipment  can be amortized over generations after you hand it down. Sure, we all love the fine stuff from the stores but to wake up after the same meal the folks living here a thousand years ago may have eaten gives me a big smile and to see it from field to table is priceless, Problem is I pale in comparison to the Native Americans as a hunter when afield with my longbow and the costlier items get me the meat.

Quick amazon search: (Currently unavailable) 10 pounds of farm raised venison costs $115 whereas 10 pounds of lobster tails cost $208. My shotgun scope was about the price of the lobsters and crossbow a  just a bit more. The lobsters are gone after the treat whereas the weapons can feed me for years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ll fess up. Off today , alarm went off at 4:15 this morning. Turned alarm off , woke up at 5:30 and realized what a great morning it was.  Cold , sunny and no wind. Oh well. Felt good doing absolutely nothing   Couple opportunities left so theirs still hope. Gotta make a birdie down the last few holes. 

I did that Tuesday; told myself I'd hit East Aurora in the afternoon. 

Didn't happen......

• Like 1