LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Well nothing like waiting till the last minute.. 1st deer of the year.. After passing up 4 smaller bucks this year I was beginning to worry I may go without venison for the 1st time.. Well was literally sitting on my pack, back against a tree napping when a branch breaks.

I glance over and there are 3 within 15' and 2 more coming quickly. Slowly raise the gun and they bolt. I let out a bleat and they all stop , and I take the closest one. It was hard quartering away shot but exited her neck and she didnt take a step.

Of course I'm sitting in my pack with my bag of mzl stuff (totally unprepared for a follow up shot). The rest all stand around while I fumble through and finally get my gun loaded. They didnt take off until I put a primer on. And I passed up 4 @$$ shots..

pic doesnt do her justice but she's a huge doe. Hard quartering away shot.

20191214_082427.jpg

• Like 25

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

c4b5309ea4e0835a106619b2210728bf.jpgWhere else would you rather be than right here, right now??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mabel's House of Pleasure...….

Actually, I'm saving myself for tomorrow...Going out with a couple of friends to push some small patches...

• Like 2

Spent four hours this morning searching for the buck I shot last night. Found some bone fragments but no blood. All the blood I had found up until when I jumped him had washed away so I wasn’t too surprised on that. This bottom is only 30 acres but is super thick (see pic) and I’d basically need to step on a carcass to see it. Pretty depressing. The last deer I shot and didn’t recovered was the first deer I ever shot. I don’t know how much more I’ll hunt this season but I’m only going to target this buck. He’s gotta be in rough shape and will have to hit the feed bag pretty hard I’d think. I control most of the acreage around where I shot him so hopefully will get another crack over the next three days.

70f41cb2cfc88c514b6a49827fc2d586.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Spent four hours this morning searching for the buck I shot last night. Found some bone fragments but no blood. All the blood I had found up until when I jumped him had washed away so I wasn’t too surprised on that. This bottom is only 30 acres but is super thick (see pic) and I’d basically need to step on a carcass to see it. Pretty depressing. The last deer I shot and didn’t recovered was the first deer I ever shot. I don’t know how much more I’ll hunt this season but I’m only going to target this buck. He’s gotta be in rough shape and will have to hit the feed bag pretty hard I’d think. I control most of the acreage around where I shot him so hopefully will get another crack over the next three days.

70f41cb2cfc88c514b6a49827fc2d586.jpg&key=23b6fc40681af9af7ea1fb73302a0b2798e1e028400d5af909b1618fad01535a

Yeah I would not be sitting waiting on him. He will hole up a few days before he will think about food if he is down with broken leg or non death injury. I would be getting the wind right and slowly covering as much land as possible In that general area in hope of a backup shot. Good Luck.

• Like 3

Yeah I would not be sitting waiting on him. He will hole up a few days before he will think about food if he is down with broken leg or non death injury. I would be getting the wind right and slowly covering as much land as possible In that general area in hope of a backup shot. Good Luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I was going off my hunting partners suggestion who has about 25 seasons on me. There’s a few pretty thick areas I can think of that he may go so I’ll cover them based on the wind. The one bright side about this area is of the ~1k acres around where I shot him there’s probably only 100-200 acres of cover. About half of that is three sanctuary properties that don’t allow hunting but the other half Is spread across a few properties i can hunt. Do you think he would go further than a mile or 1.5 miles?

2 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Thanks for the feedback. I was going off my hunting partners suggestion who has about 25 seasons on me. There’s a few pretty thick areas I can think of that he may go so I’ll cover them based on the wind. The one bright side about this area is of the ~1k acres around where I shot him there’s probably only 100-200 acres of cover. About half of that is three sanctuary properties that don’t allow hunting but the other half Is spread across a few properties i can hunt. Do you think he would go further than a mile or 1.5 miles?

If he goes that far, he would be in better shape than you may think.   I bet he is within 1/4 mile of the bone fragments especially with the heavy cover.   

• Like 1