LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

If he goes that far, he would be in better shape than you may think.   I bet he is within 1/4 mile of the bone fragments especially with the heavy cover.   

True That. A smashed front leg will put him down within a couple hundred yards of hit and he will lay up. If it's not a kill shot he will get out of his bed and nibble/hobble around that area for a few yards this way or that but he will bed back down pretty quick. It's highly doubtful he left that cover that he has in that area unless pushed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he goes that far, he would be in better shape than you may think.   I bet he is within 1/4 mile of the bone fragments especially with the heavy cover.   

I hope that’s the case. I covered pretty much the whole creek bottom so I was thinking I may have pushed him out but he could have easily snuck around me and I never would have known. This would be my biggest buck to date by a pretty good margin which makes this all the more painful! I just really hope he survives or I get a crack at him. It makes me sick to think of a 150”+ buck rotting away in the woods

I hope that’s the case. I covered pretty much the whole creek bottom so I was thinking I may have pushed him out but he could have easily snuck around me and I never would have known. This would be my biggest buck to date by a pretty good margin which makes this all the more painful! I just really hope he survives or I get a crack at him. It makes me sick to think of a 150”+ buck rotting away in the woods

Cattails, Swale grass 150"inch buck knows how to survive. Give him an injury and no hot does on his mind and he will virtually disappear.

1 hour ago, TheHornHunter said:

Spent four hours this morning searching for the buck I shot last night. Found some bone fragments but no blood. All the blood I had found up until when I jumped him had washed away so I wasn’t too surprised on that. This bottom is only 30 acres but is super thick (see pic) and I’d basically need to step on a carcass to see it. Pretty depressing. The last deer I shot and didn’t recovered was the first deer I ever shot. I don’t know how much more I’ll hunt this season but I’m only going to target this buck. He’s gotta be in rough shape and will have to hit the feed bag pretty hard I’d think. I control most of the acreage around where I shot him so hopefully will get another crack over the next three days.

70f41cb2cfc88c514b6a49827fc2d586.jpg

A piece of bone indicates a leg hit most all of the time. Question is, if it passed through some part of the deer to break the offside leg? If so, the deer could be dead within a couple hundred yards from where you found the bone. Likely in the thickest cover available. And will likely not survive.

If just the leg was hit, it could survive, but won't move very far for awhile. Even if bumped. Sometimes with a leg hit, if you can get them up and moving, the blood will start to flow again. Even after 24 hours.

I hope you find him, or at least see him again.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Tapped out at 1:15. Was coming down in buckets and my buddy and I said let's keep the clothes partially dry for the morning. He saw one running at 830 and stayed in the same spot all day. I still hunted to several lookout points and never saw a deer or a flag. Did hear 7 single shots this morning on the hill but none real close. Tomorrow is another day.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Finished up everything but this last hind and had a fresh cut 16 day aged sirloin...

62F15B5F-4184-4E22-85CA-B3174DB15E7D.thumb.jpeg.445b599e4f3c720f62be3c6079226cb7.jpeg

Drummed up some liquid motivation to take the bow out and fill a late dmp.

Last hunt of the season I think

I got backed up DIY processing this year with multiple deer and did not have the space to age the usual 8-10 days for some quarters and the resulting flavor/tenderness shows... You can't age if you drop at the "deer cuttin" place so do it yourself.

17 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

I like young deer (yearling does) and any warm tenderloin fresh as the pinnacle of venison flavor personally

But I do like to age the quarters in big deer and the straps on bucks so the meat gets “dry” and easier to handle with the knife.

I think the main thing with whitetail venison is to keep it drained and dry including when you defrost it, I use paper towels and change them often...better yet souse vide no defrost needed.

I better get used to talking about deer hunting instead of doing it...stupid heavy rain chased me out of the woods

Man that sausage looks good TF

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

[mention=9835]TheHornHunter[/mention] have you tried deer search? They might be able to get you on that deer in spite of the rain..

Nope. The people’s whose property the deer went on to are fairly anti hunting and very protective of their land. I’ve built a good relationship with them and they let me retrieve deer when I need to but they would be pissed if I brought someone on they didn’t know

A piece of bone indicates a leg hit most all of the time. Question is, if it passed through some part of the deer to break the offside leg? If so, the deer could be dead within a couple hundred yards from where you found the bone. Likely in the thickest cover available. And will likely not survive.
If just the leg was hit, it could survive, but won't move very far for awhile. Even if bumped. Sometimes with a leg hit, if you can get them up and moving, the blood will start to flow again. Even after 24 hours.
I hope you find him, or at least see him again.
Good luck.

Thanks for the input. The leg opposite to me when I shot looked broken after the shot. He ran in front of me with that leg facing me so I got a good look at it. It’s possible I went under his cavity and only hit opposite leg but I would have expected to that to basically blow his leg off and to have way more carnage at the hit site. I only found two small fragments and little hair or blood initially. Plus I think that would have knocked him to the ground initially. I think I went through the cavity and out the opposite leg but either high or low. He was quartering away pretty good. I found one spot on the blood trail where I had two pretty good sized blood pools about a foot apart and slightly offset. I figured he stood for a little with two holes leaking

Still hunted for 3 hours today, saw a few does that I chose not to shoot. Went onto the neighbors as he gave me permission as he is done for the season. Saw a ton of sign at the middle and bottom of his ridge. I’m going to ask him if he would care if I put a ladder stand there next year. He is 75 his house is at the top of the mountain and he only hunts the very top close to his house. He doesn’t bow hunt so I think I’m going to ask if I can put it there and only hunt it during bow

72fd7efc0bee4b2f6de2e622cd7e20ae.jpg9ad208a50000f1765bc8b3131c1ea906.jpgdd870bced34a8d2bf1753c43ffc5707e.jpg

• Like 9

Still hunted for 3 hours today, saw a few does that I chose not to shoot. Went onto the neighbors as he gave me permission as he is done for the season. Saw a ton of sign at the middle and bottom of his ridge. I’m going to ask him if he would care if I put a ladder stand there next year. He is 75 his house is at the top of the mountain and he only hunts the very top close to his house. He doesn’t bow hunt so I think I’m going to ask if I can put it there and only hunt it during bow
72fd7efc0bee4b2f6de2e622cd7e20ae.jpg&key=3e4af4f43a86ac1ae534e1522e4fdf46d18dbc92b8ccf9e27adb928ba118597a9ad208a50000f1765bc8b3131c1ea906.jpg&key=73e7f31fc99a5637f1fef1b6cf6d6ce25b3a91e1b2892a296f98dc0dba255592dd870bced34a8d2bf1753c43ffc5707e.jpg&key=4184f51457feb58ab69f81c2d9282a1566ada19a6d526a9de6118290dc025d66

Looks good. You may have a sweet spot