LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

22deg just started snowing, I don’t have any idea why I’m out here after Sunday’s slaughter but it’s the bottom of the 9th and I wouldn’t miss it!

On a sad note for the first time since sept 27 I have to work tonight. It’s been a good vacation and a great season.

Season might have got a little better, brother just shot while typing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

25 and snowing. Been fighting of some head throat crud. I’m in the heated tower staying warm. Maybe get lucky and catch one moving with the snow.
Put my Bil in the spot I shot my 8pt last night. He saw 3 and missed a doe. I might sit there for the last watch of 2019.

Last night?  Congrats!  Not sure how I missed this.

Bought my first ever hang on stand and sticks. Got tired of be soaked with sweat after ascending with my climber. Hoping this helps. Going to hang it above a ridge with a well used trail this Thursday. I have only been to this spot twice this year and saw a few both times. 1 medium 8 and 9 doe total first time, 1 nicer 8 and 8 doe the second. Pretty excited.
Any advise? Should I wait to hunt it until the weekend or bring my bow with me and hunt it as soon as its up? 
If hunting public land, and leaving the stand and sticks, be prepared to discover them missing....... unfortunately. That has happened to me a couple times.

As you have discovered, the hang on is as much effort as the climber (if not more) if you are going to pack the stand and sticks each time and not leave them set up.

FWIW, generally my routine is to hang and hunt Oct-Nov, then use the climber late season. I can access better cover with the hang on. Come late season, when cover is scarce, I use the climber to get higher. Just my rationale.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cdbing said:

If hunting public land, and leaving the stand and sticks, be prepared to discover them missing....... unfortunately. That has happened to me a couple times.

As you have discovered, the hang on is as much effort as the climber (if not more) if you are going to pack the stand and sticks each time and not leave them set up.

FWIW, generally my routine is to hang and hunt Oct-Nov, then use the climber late season. I can access better cover with the hang on. Come late season, when cover is scarce, I use the climber to get higher. Just my rationale.

This is going behind a friend's house. He has several stands located back there. So no worries. I am going to leave mine also, only packing in/out once. I chain and lock my ladder stand on public land, just in case. I love the mobility of my climber and the ease of my ladder, thought this a good compromise.  I mistakenly said sticks, its more of a ladder, its one piece, 20 ft tall. The tree is straight. Thanks for the advice. 

Thanks for the advise. O man, now you got me nervous. It turns out that after climbing I am soaked, then freezing about an hour later. Was hoping (that's the operative word) that climbing the sticks would cause me to exert less effort, thereby keeping my drier and ultimately warmer. Love my ladder stand for that reason. It is so easy to get up and down, just not high enough. 

I run both a climber and a h&h set up and to be honest I’d say they both take about the same amount of exertion. Sometimes the hang and hunt can be more demanding if the tree is super gnarly but I can literally get it into any tree so I’d say I use it about 90% of the time I’m not going to a prehung stand and my climber mostly collects dust now, unless I’m going to a open oak flat. I have the same issue with getting covered in sweat, even just going to some of our preset stands that may be a mile off the road. The best advice I can give on that is wear your base layers in and tie a rope around your pants and jacket and carry them over your shoulder. Sometimes I’ll wear my pants in but I never wear my jacket unless my walk is less than five minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22deg just started snowing, I don’t have any idea why I’m out here after Sunday’s slaughter but it’s the bottom of the 9th and I wouldn’t miss it!

On a sad note for the first time since sept 27 I have to work tonight. It’s been a good vacation and a great season.

Season might have got a little better, brother just shot while typing this!

Jeez and I thought I was lucky with the flexibility of my work! I’m pretty jealous. Good luck with the bro

I did the same thing the last few years then this year due to an injury and sheer laziness I just go sit on the ground late season. I’ve always been skeptical of getting busted but I’ve seen more deer the last few weeks sitting in a hedge row, some brush on a field edge or in a dead fall in the woods, including some really nice bucks. I’ve been in a tree stand once or twice since bow season and I’ve seen just as many deer and mature bucks as I saw in October and early November. There’s definitely pluses to being in a stand and it’s more forgiving but this season has showed me that if I do my part, stay still and play the wind right I can be just as successful without lugging in a stand every time.

• Like 1

I forgot one other piece of advice... if leaving sticks on public I always take the bottom stick or two with me. That way someone needs their own stick to steal my set up. I’ve never had one stolen this way.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I forgot one other piece of advice... if leaving sticks on public I always take the bottom stick or two with me. That way someone needs their own stick to steal my set up. I’ve never had one stolen this way.

That is a great idea! Thanks. 

"How many stands does one man need?"

"At least one more!"

3 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I did the same thing the last few years then this year due to an injury and sheer laziness I just go sit on the ground late season. I’ve always been skeptical of getting busted but I’ve seen more deer the last few weeks sitting in a hedge row, some brush on a field edge or in a dead fall in the woods, including some really nice bucks. I’ve been in a tree stand once or twice since bow season and I’ve seen just as many deer and mature bucks as I saw in October and early November. There’s definitely pluses to being in a stand and it’s more forgiving but this season has showed me that if I do my part, stay still and play the wind right I can be just as successful without lugging in a stand every time.

THH, As a hunter with very limited experience in different styles of hunting, I cannot begin to tell how how much I appreciate your practical, real world experience descriptions and explanations. Thank you for sharing this sort of information.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Thanks for the advise. O man, now you got me nervous. It turns out that after climbing I am soaked, then freezing about an hour later. Was hoping (that's the operative word) that climbing the sticks would cause me to exert less effort, thereby keeping my drier and ultimately warmer. Love my ladder stand for that reason. It is so easy to get up and down, just not high enough. 

You can purchase extra ladder sections. That's what we do, although now we have so many stands we just piece them together. One extra ladder piece makes a big difference...

• Thanks 1

Been helping look for 2 hrs, no sign of a hit or any blood. Poor fellas having a rough year, hit a nice buck early that he never recovered now missing a chip shot , he’s pretty down on himself. He hasn’t been hunting very long and had a banner year last year we moved to a different property I sure hope he gets another chance. Any of us who’ve been doing this long enough have all had those years!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Been helping look for 2 hrs, no sign of a hit or any blood. Poor fellas having a rough year, hit a nice buck early that he never recovered now missing a chip shot , he’s pretty down on himself. He hasn’t been hunting very long and had a banner year last year we moved to a different property I sure hope he gets another chance. Any of us who’ve been doing this long enough have all had those years!

Heres to hoping for a chance at redemption to end the season on a high note!

Kids have a snow/ice day so I took a 2 hour delay myself. This crust on the fresh snow is loud. Posted up watching a pine flat with several runs and funnels they travel in this area. Found a fresh scrape and rub yesterday not too far from where I stopped to watch. Good luck all who are out today. Finish strong.91510046ac7a2482be44aaadc9238a49.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

THH, As a hunter with very limited experience in different styles of hunting, I cannot begin to tell how how much I appreciate your practical, real world experience descriptions and explanations. Thank you for sharing this sort of information.

Glad to hear it and no problem! I started hunting with no one to really guide me but have lucked out since and found some great mentors. This forum gives me a way to try and pass some of that knowledge on and hopefully help put some meat in someones freezer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1