LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

23 minutes ago, Shadd Rapp said:

Well the fat lady has sung on my Missouri hunt. Only one doe dropped by my buddy. We drove through the night and made it back to NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting is still better than not hunting! would you use this outfitter again?

Hunting is still better than not hunting! would you use this outfitter again?

It was State Line Bone Mine. Probably wouldn’t use again. Some unsafe treestands and not a lot of buck sightings. Either way it was a fun trip and like you said hunting is better then not hunting!

• Like 2

It was State Line Bone Mine. Probably wouldn’t use again. Some unsafe treestands and not a lot of buck sightings. Either way it was a fun trip and like you said hunting is better then not hunting!

Maybe rut or pre rut is better? How much was the late season hunt?

Maybe rut or pre rut is better? How much was the late season hunt?

1750 for a five day hunt. Lodging and food included. Game care too. But that amounted to the outfitter cutting the deer up and just throwing into a cooler. No vacuum sealing or even wax paper. I’ll do more homework on the outfitter next time. Although his Facebook page reviews are 5 stars.

33 minutes ago, Shadd Rapp said:

1750 for a five day hunt. Lodging and food included. Game care too. But that amounted to the outfitter cutting the deer up and just throwing into a cooler. No vacuum sealing or even wax paper. I’ll do more homework on the outfitter next time. Although his Facebook page reviews are 5 stars.

Yea, you get what you pay for sometimes. $1750 is super reasonable.

2 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

My old man took the first buck of his life, a decent 6 or 7 out in East Hampton today. Unfortunately he did it with a Camry. He's fine, Camry has seen better days, deer dead on contact.

1d86dfcb728c6184abcec89b0f0cd6ef.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

A wall hanger for his first deer nice!!!! he can mount it next to the front bumper

All seriousness i'm glad hes OK. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Seems weird to me that deer season is still open in spots. Good for those that can still hunt. Color me jealous. 

The thing that felt weird for me was to have 60* temps in January. Even with a 4 month season here, the population is still growing. There are deer in locations that even 10 years ago, you would have never in your wildest dreams thought possible. DEC really needs to bring back the bonus tags that allowed you to shoot a deer of either sex after shooting a doe. Many people would shoot 2 does right out of the gate to get another either sex tag. The incentive is no longer there for people to shoot does and it’s showing. 

• Like 1

The thing that felt weird for me was to have 60* temps in January. Even with a 4 month season here, the population is still growing. There are deer in locations that even 10 years ago, you would have never in your wildest dreams thought possible. DEC really needs to bring back the bonus tags that allowed you to shoot a deer of either sex after shooting a doe. Many people would shoot 2 does right out of the gate to get another either sex tag. The incentive is no longer there for people to shoot does and it’s showing. 

They need to bring back doe season. Remember when you could only take a doe the first 2 weeks? I heard a rumor that they passed a law giving us February as well but have yet to enact it.

Only thing to control the population is the reduction of does . Making the season longer doesn’t work toward that goal. Incentivizing hunters to kill does does. Extra buck tag? $$$? Open some public park lands to those most successful? Those may get more does down

• Like 2