LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

5 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

They need to bring back doe season. Remember when you could only take a doe the first 2 weeks? I heard a rumor that they passed a law giving us February as well but have yet to enact it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was no increase in the doe harvest the one year they did that. It just kept a lot of guys out of the woods for 2 weeks. Hunting into February isn’t going to make a huge difference either. Bow hunting participation drops off sharply after November. And becomes almost nonexistent in January. Sure there is a gun season as well in January, but the deer know where to go after being pressured for 4 months. There are many more places to bow hunt compared to using the gun. 

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Only thing to control the population is the reduction of does . Making the season longer doesn’t work toward that goal. Incentivizing hunters to kill does does. Extra buck tag? $$$? Open some public park lands to those most successful? Those may get more does down

Exactly. For as long as I can remember, there was an incentive to shoot does. Almost everyone that I know would fill their doe tags and then receive either sex bonus tags, but very few would actually ever use them as a buck tag. It was a great incentive to keep people in the woods as well for the entire season. A lot of guys now will fill their buck tags then pack it in. 

There was no increase in the doe harvest the one year they did that. It just kept a lot of guys out of the woods for 2 weeks. Hunting into February isn’t going to make a huge difference either. Bow hunting participation drops off sharply after November. And becomes almost nonexistent in January. Sure there is a gun season as well in January, but the deer know where to go after being pressured for 4 months. There are many more places to bow hunt compared to using the gun. 

Whether it leads to more does taken or not, I would welcome an extra month. I don’t understand why more ppl aren’t willing to take a doe. Personally I think they are better eating. I usually set out meat hunting and target does, which is not to say I would pass a wall hanger if presented the shot, but doe are the target. Afterwards I worry more about “head hunting”. Taking more doe is in our best interest, isn’t it? Won’t the bucks have to travel more to find a hot doe?

8 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Whether it leads to more does taken or not, I would welcome an extra month. I don’t understand why more ppl aren’t willing to take a doe. Personally I think they are better eating. I usually set out meat hunting and target does, which is not to say I would pass a wall hanger if presented the shot, but doe are the target. Afterwards I worry more about “head hunting”. Taking more doe is in our best interest, isn’t it? Won’t the bucks have to travel more to find a hot doe?

You are a small percentage of the hunting population. Taking more does are in our best interests. It also creates a more intense rut. Personally I think that a 4 month season is long enough. We just need to get the majority of hunters to do their part and giving them an incentive was a proven way to do it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I need to become best friends with some of you guys so I can have free room and board downstate and hunt deer in January!

I’d offer you my place, but the wife is ready to give me the boot come January. Inviting more people would just make it worse for me. Lol. A friend of mine is an outfitter with a lodge close by that hunts everything from upland to waterfowl and deer. Another option is to put in for the January lottery for state land with the gun. There are plenty of opportunities all season long here. 

I’d offer you my place, but the wife is ready to give me the boot come January. Inviting more people would just make it worse for me. Lol. A friend of mine is an outfitter with a lodge close by that hunts everything from upland to waterfowl and deer. Another option is to put in for the January lottery for state land with the gun. There are plenty of opportunities all season long here. 

I cook, clean and do laundry!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I shoot any adult doe i can legally here in 4F,we have a high number of does here as well. My first objective is to get venison in the freezer,and if i can get a decent buck that is a bonus. I haven't shot a buck in a couple of years now since i pass on the ones younger than 2.5. 

I wish everyone would act similar,as i also feel the bucks have to do very little here to get all the doe booty they can handle.

• Like 1

Took my youngest out for a still hunt today. Walk a bit, sit a bit. His first tine on a deer hunt. We saw 10 deer, including 2 bucks. He scared every single one. Never had such a good time hunting!! cc2b49db5b9d10c46deb47ec0947bd08.jpg&key=0f28557ffe787437cf019cac24a7ed2d405e7b6898d9eef9c4daf6110269041b

Awesome. The thread isn’t dead yet!

Strange, Had what I thought was a big doe trotting thru the woods with her head down sniffing the ground. I assume it’s a shed buck, But he was acting like it’s November and hot on a trail of a doe. 

I walked Stateland with some members in 3S on Friday the 10th and we found several fresh scrapes with pee in them. The rut is on!

Not today, but plan on going out Sunday, either standby with shotgun or in the PM with the bow.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I will be out both days this weekend with the bangstick. 

Thank you both. This forum needs a buck

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Anyone still hunting??

I skipped out of work early today and jumped into my ground blind. Unfortunately I’m out of buck tags and wouldn’t you know it, I had a young 10 pt come by a little after 4. Sorry to disappoint Biz. He would’ve got a pass anyway. He needs another year or 2. I’m strictly hunting does now. I’ll be out again this weekend. 

022B800F-0CF6-49AD-A760-15FC1DFADCDB.jpeg

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 5

I skipped out of work early today and jumped into my ground blind. Unfortunately I’m out of buck tags and wouldn’t you know it, I had a young 10 pt come by a little after 4. Sorry to disappoint Biz. He would’ve got a pass anyway. He needs another year or 2. I’m strictly hunting does now. I’ll be out again this weekend. 

022B800F-0CF6-49AD-A760-15FC1DFADCDB.thumb.jpeg.058e7d22ef334db6d00c2edb41416c4f.jpeg

That buck Looks like a shooter to me! Those tines aren’t tiny

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That buck Looks like a shooter to me! Those tines aren’t tiny

And he’ll be even bigger next year! Judging from his body size and knowing what’s around, I put him at 3.5 at the most. He has a lot of potential. The only way to harvest mature bucks consistently is to let the young boys walk. 

• Thanks 1

And he’ll be even bigger next year! Judging from his body size and knowing what’s around, I put him at 3.5 at the most. He has a lot of potential. The only way to harvest mature bucks consistently is to let the young boys walk. 

I like inches and he’s got it for me!

• Like 1