LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Hunted rocky point 3 times and saw about 9 deer total. Usually we'll see 20-30 deer a day. We pushed 10 miles 2 different days and I did 7 miles on my own one day. Missed one, but other than that I never had a shot

I was in a stand. Saw a total of 7. She was down by 8am. She stepped out at 45 yds. She was with 2 others. They actually came back to her after she went down. Then I looked over my left shoulder and another four were hung up about 50 until they decided to leave. I was home and she was hanging by 915. About to eat some backstrap. Tomorrow is sausage and jerky time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I was in a stand. Saw a total of 7. She was down by 8am. She stepped out at 45 yds. She was with 2 others. They actually came back to her after she went down. Then I looked over my left shoulder and another four were hung up about 50 until they decided to leave. I was home and she was hanging by 915. About to eat some backstrap. Tomorrow is sausage and jerky time.

Oh man you had a great day. I figured today would be good, I just didnt want to risk being out there on the roads in this snow. Congrats again! Ill be out monday hopefully 

• Like 1

I am out with the shotgun since morning. Took a walk at lunch and saw 6 does. I am just too slow, they ran past at about 50 yds and stood at around 83. Too far for me. Walk back to the stand and fresh tracks within 50 yds. Still have a few hours.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Saw about 16 today. I bumped 2 in the morning that circled around on me, but I passed because they didn’t give me a shot I wanted. With the shotgun I would have shot, but not with the muzzleloader. Then around 1:30 I had 14 deer come in single file behind me. Shot the lead for that turned out to be a doe fawn.

When I shot they scattered, but only ran 15 yards. I was slow to reload cause of the adrenaline, but once I reloaded they walked off. Not mad cause I had a long ass drag to the car. Don’t think there was a buck with them, but you never know. I shot the first one I could, but now I’m wishing I would have waited. Either way I’m happy
19523fe16b155149c4e52f71063a0cfc.jpg

• Like 18

14 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Saw about 16 today. I bumped 2 in the morning that circled around on me, but I passed because they didn’t give me a shot I wanted. With the shotgun I would have shot, but not with the muzzleloader. Then around 1:30 I had 14 deer come in single file behind me. Shot the lead for that turned out to be a doe fawn.

When I shot they scattered, but only ran 15 yards. I was slow to reload cause of the adrenaline, but once I reloaded they walked off. Not mad cause I had a long ass drag to the car. Don’t think there was a buck with them, but you never know. I shot the first one I could, but now I’m wishing I would have waited. Either way I’m happy

Congrats!! I heard the little ones are like veal. One day I gotta take one. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Congrats AT! I took a fawn with the crossbow this year. We took three other adult deer and we are going sparingly on the fawn to make it last - so tender!

Keep it going! Still have tags?

• Like 1

Last night I had a great dream. I was back out in the woods hunting deer and took a nice doe with the 30-.06 in the late morning. Sadly I woke up before I Could hunt another day. Sigh.

Yesssss......the .06!

With all that .06 talk I am going to have to take mine for a walk next season.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Congrats!! I heard the little ones are like veal. One day I gotta take one. 

You should! LI has more deer than we know what to do with so taking a few fawns wont hurt the population, and you know that we dont have problems with doe tags

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Congrats AT! I took a fawn with the crossbow this year. We took three other adult deer and we are going sparingly on the fawn to make it last - so tender!

Keep it going! Still have tags?

Well when we shoot a deer we have to bring it in to the check station so they can age it and check it out. If its legally tagged as a doe, they give you back a doe tag on the spot. So I still have 3 tags that I can use, but two of them are basically unlimited doe tags

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You should! LI has more deer than we know what to do with so taking a few fawns wont hurt the population, and you know that we dont have problems with doe tags

Well when we shoot a deer we have to bring it in to the check station so they can age it and check it out. If its legally tagged as a doe, they give you back a doe tag on the spot. So I still have 3 tags that I can use, but two of them are basically unlimited doe tags

They changed this law...you only have to email a photo of the doe/tag and you get replacement tag in the mail. You can still take her tagged head to Ridge to get it on the spot, of course. 

Def going fawn hunting!! Hope to get the opportunity Saturday. 

Just now, squirrelwhisperer said:

They changed this law...you only have to email a photo of the doe/tag and you get replacement tag in the mail. You can still take her tagged head to Ridge to get it on the spot, of course. 

Def going fawn hunting!! Hope to get the opportunity Saturday. 

Whatlaw did they change exactly? I get my doe tags straight from ridge since i mostly hunt rocky point