LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

3 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

If you can wait for the tag, you no longer have to go to Ridge. You still can of course, but you don't have to. 

I was told that if you shoot a deer on state land with a gun, they want to see it and you have to bring it in? Either way I have to go to ridge 

13 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I was told that if you shoot a deer on state land with a gun, they want to see it and you have to bring it in? Either way I have to go to ridge 

Perhaps. I really didn't care about that because I have 3 tags left (1 doe, 1 either, 1 buck :crying:) and only one weekend. 

Things will be different next year, especially if i start taking doe fawns lol. I will have dozens! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Perhaps. I really didn't care about that because I have 3 tags left (1 doe, 1 either, 1 buck :crying:) and only one weekend. 

Things will be different next year, especially if i start taking doe fawns lol. I will have dozens! 

Trust me, you wont regret taking a few of them.

• Like 2

Trust me, you wont regret taking a few of them.

I have three young deer in the freezer from this season and my family comments on the difference between their meat and meat from a good buck (3.5 best guess) and 2,5 year old doe. I’m a bad judge since I know which packages are the young deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’m up for what will be my last day of this season. Not sure if I should post here or 2020 thread lol. Hope to get something before the rain sets in. Gonna sit at the edge of a plateau overlooking a busy travel route. Can’t wait to set my stand here next season.
#fromtheground

• Like 2

I’m up for what will be my last day of this season. Not sure if I should post here or 2020 thread lol. Hope to get something before the rain sets in. Gonna sit at the edge of a plateau overlooking a busy travel route. Can’t wait to set my stand here next season.
#fromtheground

Good luck....it’s STILL the 2019 season for you since you never stopped so your in the right place!

Saw a flock of turkeys and I passed on a shed buck. Just before sunset I had 3 does come out but had no shot. That’s it for me with the bow, but it’s not over yet. Still 5 days to go and if I get done from work early one day, I plan on sitting in another spot down the road with the gun. 

• Like 3

So I meant to post this sooner, but had a busy weekend. I went out friday night for my first ever predator hunt. Overall it was a cool experience but I didn't get any action. I have to say that the whole process around looking for eyes and imitating prey was pretty different from the kind of hunting I'm used to and I liked it.

I did super clown hunt it though and I'm a little annoyed at myself for not doing a little more prep. We have some fields that go off and on with corn and this year there wasn't any planted, usually they still till and you can sit and glass quite a ways. Well the goldenrod and weeds are still shoulder tall in spots and even with the snow they're still standing. My plant of sitting up on a rise overlooking 2 hedgrows was quickly spoiled by this as there would be no way to see a yote or fox moving through and I'd probably have to be standing too. So I setup in a less than ideal spot with little to no cover. Wind was still good and I still enjoyed the hunt, but I have to do a little more work ahead of the next hunt. 

Overall I'm happy with the lumenshooter amazon headlamp and gunlight. I know they're not on par with the higher ends but I was able to see pretty well.

Thanks again to wnybuckhunter for the great deal on the call. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

So I meant to post this sooner, but had a busy weekend. I went out friday night for my first ever predator hunt. Overall it was a cool experience but I didn't get any action. I have to say that the whole process around looking for eyes and imitating prey was pretty different from the kind of hunting I'm used to and I liked it.

I did super clown hunt it though and I'm a little annoyed at myself for not doing a little more prep. We have some fields that go off and on with corn and this year there wasn't any planted, usually they still till and you can sit and glass quite a ways. Well the goldenrod and weeds are still shoulder tall in spots and even with the snow they're still standing. My plant of sitting up on a rise overlooking 2 hedgrows was quickly spoiled by this as there would be no way to see a yote or fox moving through and I'd probably have to be standing too. So I setup in a less than ideal spot with little to no cover. Wind was still good and I still enjoyed the hunt, but I have to do a little more work ahead of the next hunt. 

Overall I'm happy with the lumenshooter amazon headlamp and gunlight. I know they're not on par with the higher ends but I was able to see pretty well.

Thanks again to wnybuckhunter for the great deal on the call. 

Hey Belo, it was great just to get out there man! And you admitted to having a good time, so it was a successful hunt in that aspect!! Just getting started in anything can be a bit daunting, as the first steps are by far the most difficult. Well you took those first steps! Each time out, you'll learn something to build on. Best of luck in your next outing!

I know you live close to moog, and a couple others that have gained some predator experience. Perhaps a run or two with those guys would shorten the learning curve? Or even a couple of daylight hunts as well? We have had some daylight success in the past.

Did you purchase a predator rig? Just wondering what you may have got?  Cause I went looking again over the weekend, and still have not gotten one. I think this coming weekend, hopefully something will be coming home with me?

1 minute ago, grampy said:

Hey Belo, it was great just to get out there man! And you admitted to having a good time, so it was a successful hunt in that aspect!! Just getting started in anything can be a bit daunting, as the first steps are by far the most difficult. Well you took those first steps! Each time out, you'll learn something to build on. Best of luck in your next outing!

I know you live close to moog, and a couple others that have gained some predator experience. Perhaps a run or two with those guys would shorten the learning curve? Or even a couple of daylight hunts as well? We have had some daylight success in the past.

Did you purchase a predator rig? Just wondering what you may have got?  Cause I went looking again over the weekend, and still have not gotten one. I think this coming weekend, hopefully something will be coming home with me?

Exactly grampy, I went over to my parents and hung out with them for a while and as they age these are good times, left to get into the woods around 9:30 and was back in around 11. That's a good friday night for me, especially this time of year when there's not a lot going on in the woods. 

I need to get my bearings a little more before I get more serious like some of these guys, and that includes the rig part. As much as I want to build a nice rig, it'll probably be next year as we just wrote the check for new floors over the weekend and I'm still in pain over that. 

• Like 1

Went out today for what is probably the last day of the Year for me. I took 3 of my friends to the spot I saw those 16 deer last week. Pushed for 9 miles for them and we ended up taking two and the same guy that shot those two missed another deer twice. All with the muzzleloader too. I saw 4 deer my self and could have shot at 3 of them, but I’ve shot enough this year and wanted to get my friends on some deer. Glad my spot paid off. If my other friend was paying attention we would have had 3 deer on the ground, but that’s his problem lol. My feet and back are killing me, but it’s always good to be out.

I can probably get out one last time, but I think I’m done at this point

0bd06069b8fc3cebefb10954a00856b0.jpg

• Like 19