LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

This morning I found 3 scrapes also then on the night hunt I found 2. Couldnt find much for runs but I did cut a set of tracks leading to what looked like a community scrape that I can almost fit my hand inside and I have a big hand. With it raining tomorrow morning I might slip in there after the rain and see what I see

Edited by Daveynewman
Error

Shot a big doe a little before six. I watched my lighted nock and it looked good,but she just ran 20 yds and hunched up,tail down..I watched her for a long time,she did not want to move. I climbed down as quiet as i could and got my arrow. Dark blood,must have been all liver. No gut smell at all..Sounded like a low thud on impact. Anyway,i marked everything and backed out. Going.back for her in a few hrs. What is the rule of thumb for liver again? 4-6 hrs? It is supposed to start raining around midnight,so gotta go anyway. I am not loosing this one.

• Like 5

Shot a big doe a little before six. I watched my lighted nock and it looked good,but she just ran 20 yds and hunched up,tail down..I watched her for a long time,she did not want to move. I climbed down as quiet as i could and got my arrow. Dark blood,must have been all liver. No gut smell at all..Sounded like a low thud on impact. Anyway,i marked everything and backed out. Going.back for her in a few hrs. What is the rule of thumb for liver again? 4-6 hrs? It is supposed to start raining around midnight,so gotta go anyway. I am not loosing this one.

O man. You want to give it time (I would think at least 6) but the rain is gonna hurt. Hope you find her. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

O man. You want to give it time (I would think at least 6) but the rain is gonna hurt. Hope you find her. Best of luck.

Midnight should be fine, if she is hurting that bad she will be close to where you left her

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Good luck Mike.  Def wanna back out for a bit.  So hard to tell for sure.  I shot my buck last year and he did about the same and I found him dead in 1/2 hour later about 70 yards away. Def give her some time.  Hate the night tracking for sure but might as well take a shot at it before it rains. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

if she only ran 20 yards i woulda slept in that tree for 4-5 hours. Temp is fine id go look at about 10, get a buddy if you can to keep a look ahead while you blood track, bring toilet paper and mark the trail. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Good luck!!!

Calling for Steady rain here in 8g and raining now.catching up on some zzz's in the morning

Of course i backed out,last thing i wanted to do was push her. It has been almost 3 hrs since i shot her,gonna be at the hit site at 5 hrs after the shot. I think she was still close when i got my arrow,it was getting to dark to see..I think she will be right there.

A buddy whos coming along to help,which is very nice.

• Like 8

Thanks. I am mad at myself,should have been a chip shot. I must have hit just an inch or two back from the lungs. Maybe i clipped one,that would be helpful. Either way,i doubt she went far. Headed out now,it is an hour drive.

My guess is you find her in under 20 min

• Like 3

if she only ran 20 yards i woulda slept in that tree for 4-5 hours. Temp is fine id go look at about 10, get a buddy if you can to keep a look ahead while you blood track, bring toilet paper and mark the trail. 
Tp will get destroyed with any amount of rain. Bring pieces of cloth / towels ripped up, or better yet surveyor tape.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

just got back home and got her hung up!! A very big girl,she went maybe 100 yds altogether and felt like she had been dead for a couple of hours. Bloodtrail sucked,maybe the montecs are not that great. Full story in the harvest thread when i wake up,i am beat. Had to drag her on a sled for a mile.

20191027_000245.jpg

• Like 38