LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

10 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Live from my Desk. Wish I could have gotten out yesterday but it with heavy rain in the forcast I didn't go. Had a great sit Saturday. Saw 12 deer total. 9 doe, two small bucks and a beautiful 8 pointer. I was sitting on the oak ridge again and saw the deer come out of the thick stuff on the other side of the creek about 80 yds away. Glassed him and instantly saw he was a shooter. I grabbed my bow, stood up, flipped up the seat and waited. It took him about 20 minutes to feed his way up the ridge eating acorns and into bow range. I was shaking like crazy the whole time. I was patient and did everything right, even ranging him several times. I ranged him the last time at 26 yds and I just need him to take a couple steps to get out from behind some saplings. Those couple steps took forever but he finally made them and was standing broad side at 26 yds. I leave my single pin at 25 yds so didn't even have to move it. Got drawn, still shaking in the legs, settled the pin and let the arrow fly. It went about two feet over his back and he took off running. I have no idea what the heck I did but I was sick. My shot wasn't even close. I sat back down for a few minutes and went and found my perfectly clean arrow. I thought I took my time and did everything correctly. Shot my bow when I got home Saturday night and I was right on at 25yds. I screwed something up to miss that bad. Doubt I will be back out before Saturday and I will be toting the crossbow then. Hope I get another crack at him. Still was a great day in the woods and I still got my antlered tag for the best time of the season so all isn't lost...

Maybe werent looking through the peep? Dont beat yourself up, we have all missed or will miss

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Well I hope deer like the smell of hazelnut coffee, because evidently my stupid ass didn't cap his thermos very well.

you're having a hell of a morning haha. sometimes those are the best though as for some reason you end up getting lucky when all things say you shouldn't.

19 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Live from my Desk. Wish I could have gotten out yesterday but it with heavy rain in the forcast I didn't go. Had a great sit Saturday. Saw 12 deer total. 9 doe, two small bucks and a beautiful 8 pointer. I was sitting on the oak ridge again and saw the deer come out of the thick stuff on the other side of the creek about 80 yds away. Glassed him and instantly saw he was a shooter. I grabbed my bow, stood up, flipped up the seat and waited. It took him about 20 minutes to feed his way up the ridge eating acorns and into bow range. I was shaking like crazy the whole time. I was patient and did everything right, even ranging him several times. I ranged him the last time at 26 yds and I just need him to take a couple steps to get out from behind some saplings. Those couple steps took forever but he finally made them and was standing broad side at 26 yds. I leave my single pin at 25 yds so didn't even have to move it. Got drawn, still shaking in the legs, settled the pin and let the arrow fly. It went about two feet over his back and he took off running. I have no idea what the heck I did but I was sick. My shot wasn't even close. I sat back down for a few minutes and went and found my perfectly clean arrow. I thought I took my time and did everything correctly. Shot my bow when I got home Saturday night and I was right on at 25yds. I screwed something up to miss that bad. Doubt I will be back out before Saturday and I will be toting the crossbow then. Hope I get another crack at him. Still was a great day in the woods and I still got my antlered tag for the best time of the season so all isn't lost...

so many things with buck fever. droping your bow arm, not bending at the waist when hunting elevated, but to miss by that much, my guess is just plain old buck fever man. shaky legs and didn't line up the peep correctly.

If you haven't already done so, redress in all the same gear and equipment and shoot to make sure your hat isn't messing up your anchor point or your sleeves aren't hitting your cables or something. 

• Like 3

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Good luck there. Lots of big ones killed this year. What unit you hunting?

I wish.  Client meetings.  Significant case for a large pharma company.   I don't typically have to travel much, but when I do, it always seems to fall squarely in the better parts of hunting season.  lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Maybe werent looking through the peep? Dont beat yourself up, we have all missed or will miss

I was wondering if I was possible looking over the peep. That would explain shooting so high. I honestly don't know. I'd like to think I wouldn't do that but who knows. I know I had "buck fever".

I wish.  Client meetings.  Significant case for a large pharma company.   I don't typically have to travel much, but when I do, it always seems to fall squarely in the better parts of hunting season.  lol

Bring home some samples!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

so many things with buck fever. droping your bow arm, not bending at the waist when hunting elevated, but to miss by that much, my guess is just plain old buck fever man. shaky legs and didn't line up the peep correctly.

If you haven't already done so, redress in all the same gear and equipment and shoot to make sure your hat isn't messing up your anchor point or your sleeves aren't hitting your cables or something. 

I did that when I got home, same coat and hat and was right on. I just plain old blew it somehow. I still have a hard time keeping my composure when I see a deer I am planning on shooting. Watching him for 20 minutes sure didn't help that but man, it all should have come together perfectly. Couldn't have asked for a better scenario and I just plain blew it....Better than wounding him is what I keep telling myself. 

• Like 3

Shake it off ApexerER....I did the same on saturday....buck fever....shot too high...mine actually....hit a branch and flew upward....but I cant stop rethinking it....i jumped the trigger...ugggh
But at least we didnt injure a deer....gotta keep movin on.......get er done
We live and learn

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ApexerER said:

I did that when I got home, same coat and hat and was right on. I just plain old blew it somehow. I still have a hard time keeping my composure when I see a deer I am planning on shooting. Watching him for 20 minutes sure didn't help that but man, it all should have come together perfectly. Couldn't have asked for a better scenario and I just plain blew it....Better than wounding him is what I keep telling myself. 

been there done that. we all have. The day my legs stop shaking when a nice buck is making its way into shooting range is the day i stop hunting. that's what it's all about. It just sucks that you will dwell on it forever. we spend so much time and money for that 30 seconds of showtime...

• Like 3

Just now, DanielT said:

Shake it off ApexerER....I did the same on saturday....buck fever....shot too high...mine actually....hit a branch and flew upward....but I cant stop rethinking it....i jumped the trigger...ugggh
But at least we didnt injure a deer....gotta keep movin on.......get er done
We live and learn

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yea, am not too upset anymore. I am very glad I didn't make a bad shot and hit him. It just all came together so perfectly it was tough to swallow missing like that. Especially when I don't know what I did so I can learn from it. I know, somehow I need to figure out how to control my buck fever. I love the feeling and don't want it to go away, but it isn't the first time I blew a shot because of it....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I was wondering if I was possible looking over the peep. That would explain shooting so high. I honestly don't know. I'd like to think I wouldn't do that but who knows. I know I had "buck fever".

I don't think i went through any sort of routine when i shot the doe on Saturday. I just drew back,tried to get around the tree and made sure i cleared my climber rail. I think i forgot to bend,didn't check my grip or anchor much. Damn adrenalin messed me up,also things were happening fast,i do better with more time for a shot. Maybe i should practice quicker shots.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Only deer I've ever just clean missed with a range finder I shot over its back also. I believe it was because part of my bow string was touching the bottom of my stand, but not sure even to this day.

Last week at 20 yards I was practicing and missed my target by an entire foot. As I released the arrow was good so I was expecting a good hit. I was like honestly wth just happened, this never happens to me. I shot a few more arrows. All on the money. I suspect it must have been sitting improperly in my whisker biscuit. I can't explain it any other way. I must have just lazily nocked it. Is there a chance that while you were fidgeting and waiting for 20 minutes your arrow got dislodged a bit?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ryanrobb52 said:

Finally got it done in 7j tonight. Wife and I bought this land in 2017, 2 weeks before getting married. I have seen countless deer here but just now connected with a descent one. I have been an avid hunter for 25 years and hunted my whole life in 6G and 6A. I can say that the quality of deer in the Southern Tier is much different. My biggest bow kill and one I will remember for sure. 

6D2BA868-3334-41C5-BFD5-B24B179E3E27.jpeg

Nice Buck and a great picture:good:

5 minutes ago, Core said:

Only deer I've ever just clean missed with a range finder I shot over its back also. I believe it was because part of my bow string was touching the bottom of my stand, but not sure even to this day.

Last week at 20 yards I was practicing and missed my target by an entire foot. As I released the arrow was good so I was expecting a good hit. I was like honestly wth just happened, this never happens to me. I shot a few more arrows. All on the money. I suspect it must have been sitting improperly in my whisker biscuit. I can't explain it any other way. I must have just lazily nocked it. Is there a chance that while you were fidgeting and waiting for 20 minutes your arrow got dislodged a bit?

I don't think so, I use a full a full capture rest....This is the rest I use...

https://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Ridge-Micro-Revolution-Full-Capture/dp/B004MPC08E/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&hvadid=77996661116411&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=trophy+ridge+rest&qid=1572273585&sr=8-26

The other thing I was wondering is if I somehow nocked the arrow below the loop. I can't imagine I would do this either but I am trying to think of things that would make the arrow fly so high....

26 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I don't think so, I use a full a full capture rest....This is the rest I use...

https://www.amazon.com/Trophy-Ridge-Micro-Revolution-Full-Capture/dp/B004MPC08E/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&hvadid=77996661116411&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=trophy+ridge+rest&qid=1572273585&sr=8-26

The other thing I was wondering is if I somehow nocked the arrow below the loop. I can't imagine I would do this either but I am trying to think of things that would make the arrow fly so high....

IMO you "know" when an arrow is released if it was good or not. You can still miss, but if you ranged it, and you used the right pin as you did, unless you were shooting at a really awkward position, you know the instant you release whether it was released well or not. To have it go so wildly off course by a couple of feet or more hints at some mechanical issue to me. Could just be supremely bad luck that it happened then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Core said:

IMO you "know" when an arrow is released if it was good or not. You can still miss, but if you ranged it, and you used the right pin as you did, unless you were shooting at a really awkward position, you know the instant you release whether it was released well or not. To have it go so wildly off course by a couple of feet or more hints at some mechanical issue to me. Could just be supremely bad luck that it happened then. 

I suspect anchor, buck fever can do that!

• Like 4