LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Man seeing that buck put me in a most likely eat my tag scenario.   It’s going to have to be a very good runner up to shoot now.  

hope you get another look at him under better circumstances.  Sounds like maybe a hot doe around or he is a wanderer that came in. Going back out for the afternoon? Strike while hes in there.  Good luck.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Man seeing that buck put me in a most likely eat my tag scenario.   It’s going to have to be a very good runner up to shoot now.  

Wonder if it's the one I saw in there? That was a GIANT of a buck. You in the same area? 

16 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Im suspecting a lot of good bucks will be hitting the ground tomorrow. I might head out to Long Island and see if I can fill my second buck tag

Same. I'm hoping for the 3N buck tag fill tomorrow and 3S buck tag fill sunday or monday!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Coming back to stand from break and I hear blowing coming at me.   Left of the trail a medium sized buck is running straight to me.  A bit confused, I nock an arrow in self defense.    He veers left at 10 yds and then I see the largest rack I have ever seen live coming over hill on same trail.  He stops at 30yds in brush and then veers to where 1st buck ran.   It was an awesome sight.     Hope he keeps running this area.   Wide wide wide and tall tined.  

Awesome. Studies show heavy wind days are NOT a factor for decreased deer movement

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

quite the opposite actually

Someone posted the study earlier. But regardless, if Moog stayed dark-dark the big buck is dead. 

But in our statistics, we’ve seen a linear relationship. In other words, the harder and the faster the wind blows, the more deer sightings and deer kills we recorded during that 20 years.”  https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/cuzs-corner/20-years-of-deer-research-on-deer-movement 

An ideal day for hunting deer will be a cold day with clear skies and high wind velocities. 

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Someone posted the study earlier. But regardless, if Moog stayed dark-dark the big buck is dead. 

But in our statistics, we’ve seen a linear relationship. In other words, the harder and the faster the wind blows, the more deer sightings and deer kills we recorded during that 20 years.”  https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/cuzs-corner/20-years-of-deer-research-on-deer-movement 

An ideal day for hunting deer will be a cold day with clear skies and high wind velocities. 

Might be ideal for killing them but not so great hunting them lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Not necessarily.   It was a good 150yds from my stand but I should not have left.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Coming back to stand from break and I hear blowing coming at me.   Left of the trail a medium sized buck is running straight to me.  A bit confused, I nock an arrow in self defense.    He veers left at 10 yds and then I see the largest rack I have ever seen live coming over hill on same trail.  He stops at 30yds in brush and then veers to where 1st buck ran.   It was an awesome sight.     Hope he keeps running this area.   Wide wide wide and tall tined.  

I'll be on standby...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Yep.   Stupid leaving stand.  

Yrs ago hunting in Mendon where I grew up, I planned on a all day hunt in a certain spot surrounded by bedding cover + I had a scrape the size of a car good all tore up near the stand, long story short I got cold around mid day and decided to head out for soup and a sandwich and get back in. I passed that scrape on my way out and hadn't been touched up, on way back to stand it was all tore up. Dang it!!

So glad I came out despite wind.  It’s been crazy.  Tons of movement.  Was surrounded by 3 bucks and 2 doe for like 10 min.   One was a 120” give or take 8.   Drew and let down twice.   Still 10 days of rut hunting to go.   That’s normally a no brainer shooter.   

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So glad I came out despite wind.  It’s been crazy.  Tons of movement.  Was surrounded by 3 bucks and 2 doe for like 10 min.   One was a 120” give or take 8.   Drew and let down twice.   Still 10 days of rut hunting to go.   That’s normally a no brainer shooter.   

Your buck sightings quality today is better than my past decade.

• Like 5

That's interesting about the wind.  Can't say I disagree with it, but you need a stand in an area where it's broken up.  Which is yet another excellent reason why I need to move this stand tomorrow during the mid-day break.  Spot is tucked in on the south face in an overgrown field, a gigantic pinch point, in an over grown field, downwind of a bedding area and between 2 big food sources.