LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

It don't look like I will need to fire up the deer fridge this year.   I am glad that "global warming" has backed off a bit the last couple of seasons.  I ain't had to fire up that fridge since 2016.   It sucks quite a bit of juice but always starts when plugged in.  With nighttime lows outside in the low thirties and daytime highs in the fourties, I can hold the skin-on carcasses at 32-42 F. inside that insulated garage, with no trouble.     
I had the "oysters" for lunch yesterday.  They were spectacular, fried in olive oil with lots of pepper.  Way better than any sea oysters that I have had.   I still have not had time to run the numbers on the 39-1/4" chest girth.   I am guessing around 160 pounds dressed.   The buck was heavy in the rear and difficult to hoist up by myself with the cheap little hand pulley.  It was not rutting hard yet and it was feeding on clover as it approached my two-story blind yesterday morning.   I will probably skin it next Saturday night and cut it up Sunday.   Hopefully it will yield 60 pounds or more of boneless meat.  It looked to be pretty lean, so there will not be much fat to trim away (I hate processing does for that reason) and there is no wound damage to worry about.     

Not to muddy this thread but do not hang if daytime temps exceed 41 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Oh we got close again! We had a 4-6 point coming right towards the open lane 20 yards from us and 20 steps from where he needed to go then he just turned back. He was not alerted, he wasn’t in our wind nor hit our incoming trail. Just a 6th sense I guess! I tried a can call as he was going away he did not like that. She was ready lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Had a little 4pt chase a doe by me grunting . She runs over and beds about 60 yds  away  in.some pines . Little buck wanders over and stands over her. 

Hear a grunt from behind me here comes a great  3.5 8 pt . Stops 33 yds  I shoot and hit a branch driving the arrow in the dirt under his belly. Wtf ..... lol loving it .

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Had to let it cool down twice to type this. Had some doe and fawns come in hitting acorns. Took me 15 minutes with climber to get settled but had doe within 60 yards bedded. Timed myself with phone too. Went to f'in finish typing though and had two ticks crawling up my hand! Uneasy but sitting a bit longer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryanrobb52 said:

The number of times I have looked down at my hands or clothes and seen ticks crawling on me is insane. Yesterday my wife had one crawling on her in Target. Im sure it came from me but its just insane lately. Does anyone spray their hunting clothes with anything?  Im nervous because most of those sprays smell terrible.  With a 10 month old at home I have to be super careful. 

I copied the paragraph below from https://www.hunter-ed.com/blog/insect-repellants-vs-scent-control/  Bottom line, it supposedly doesn't smell, and if it does is smells like a flower. Considering the risks, I'd urge you to treat your clothes. It will last for several washings or weeks. Once temps are consistently below 50, ticks will go dormant, but in the meantime . . . .

Permethrin

Permethrin is actually an insecticide, meaning it doesn’t just repel bugs, it kills them. It’s a chemical made in laboratories that mimics a natural insecticide produced by chrysanthemum flowers called pyrethrum. Permethrin does not have an odor, so it doesn’t alert game animals to your presence. You can find large bottles at farm and ranch supply stores that are designed to apply to livestock or around houses and barns. This can be mixed per the directions and sprayed on your clothing, or at least one manufacturer creates spray bottles and aerosols designed specifically for human clothing. Permethrin binds to fabrics and can even last through several washings of your clothes. Some clothing manufacturers are even making clothes with permethrin built in, and it will last for the life of the clothing!
Permethrin isn’t absorbed by human skin, so it is safe to spray directly on you according to the World Health Organization. In fact, it’s the main ingredient in some medicines designed to kill lice on humans. If you’re uncomfortable applying it to your skin, and you are wearing shorts or a short-sleeved shirt while hunting, you might need to apply a repellant, also. And, though they will die later, mosquitoes can bite you first even with permethrin. If you hunt in an area known for ticks that carry Lyme disease, though, permethrin should be on your hunting clothes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1