LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I would think getting your ride stuck is a good thing..:don’t Subaru’s come with a team of lesbians who responds to car issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with both Subaru’s and lesbians , is that it’s the  Forester model that’s favored , TF drives an Outback , wise move  or error in judgement, I dont know .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My experience with both Subaru’s and lesbians , is that it’s the  Forester model that’s favored , TF drives an Outback , wise move  or error in judgement, I dont know .

Would the outback be the model for gay men or prison inmates

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok boys and girls, need a little input on this one. Was out yesterday morning. I could see a big deer working around in the beans as I approached my stand. I got in quietly and was presented a shot right around 7:05. 30 yards, slight quartering away. I hit right about in the  middle of the body. Based on the grid below, I'd say it was right around the crosshairs of 5,6 and B,C. The deer sprinted about 75 yards, tail tucked. then I watched it slowly make it's way into the woods at the other side of the field, about 200 yards away. I could see that it was hurt bad and seemed wobbly. I thought it was a slam dunk. About 30 minutes later I got down and checked the arrow. Clean pass through. Blood on the arrow was fire engine red, reaffirming my thought that it was a good shot. no guts on the arrow and no foul smell. To play it safe, I backed out. I returned with a buddy and a UTV about 6 hours later. We trailed from the point of impact to the woodline and blood trail was getting heavier. There was some snow on the ground at this point, but the system was just starting to work it's way in. We ended up trailing it for another 200+ yards through the hardwoods. Most of the time we had good blood and also came across 5 or 6 pools. We both expected to see it laying down dead and ready. By the end though, the snow had really picked up and had covered most of the blood that we had found. We were forced out. He called a buddy in Barker with a dog and I called Deer Search (Hamburg unit), but neither have called back. I'm sure that it's dead in there, but now with this fresh snow, I've got to think there's no point in looking without a dog. I hate to lose a deer, especially one that I know I made a good hit on. Do I go back and try to retrace the trail with 10+ inches of fresh powder, or do I chalk this one up as a lost deer?

arrow.jpg

UTV.jpg

grid.jpg

Edited by Bolt action

9 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Ok boys and girls, need a little input on this one. Was out yesterday morning. I could see a big deer working around in the beans as I approached my stand. I got in quietly and was presented a shot right around 7:05. 30 yards, slight quartering away. I hit right about in the  middle of the body. Based on the grid below, I'd say it was right around the crosshairs of 5,6 and B,C. The deer sprinted about 75 yards, tail tucked. then I watched it slowly make it's way into the woods at the other side of the field, about 200 yards away. I could see that it was hurt bad and seemed wobbly. I thought it was a slam dunk. About 30 minutes later I got down and checked the arrow. Clean pass through. Blood on the arrow was fire engine red, reaffirming my thought that it was a good shot. no guts on the arrow and no foul smell. To play it safe, I backed out. I returned with a buddy and a UTV about 6 hours later. We trailed from the point of impact to the woodline and blood trail was getting heavier. There was some snow on the ground at this point, but the system was just starting to work it's way in. We ended up trailing it for another 200+ yards through the hardwoods. Most of the time we had good blood and also came across 5 or 6 pools. We both expected to see it laying down dead and ready. By the end though, the snow had really picked up and had covered most of the blood that we had found. We were forced out. He called a buddy in Barker with a dog and I called Deer Search (Hamburg unit), but neither have called back. I'm sure that it's dead in there, but now with this fresh snow, I've got to think there's no point in looking without a dog. I hate to lose a deer, especially one that I know I made a good hit on. Do I go back and try to retrace the trail with 10+ inches of fresh powder, or do I chalk this one up as a lost deer?

arrow.jpg

UTV.jpg

grid.jpg

Follow the most likely and easiest trail for a while from where you last saw blood to start.   Then I would grid search the area a bit after she prob isnt far.  Look for crows too 

• Like 1

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

Follow the most likely and easiest trail for a while from where you last saw blood to start.   Then I would grid search the area a bit after she prob isnt far.  Look for crows too 

Forgot to mention in the original post. Before throwing in the towel last night, we did a grid search (probably 100 yards) in the general direction that it was moving. It was pretty thick in that area, and the snow was, at that point, laying down a pretty good blanket on the ground and trees, brush, etc. It was a catch-22 situation last night. If I wait it out, the deer would be less likely to be pushed, but the snow became a real factor. If I had gone in earlier, the snow would have been less of an issue, but we might've bumped the deer. I keep replaying it in my head. 

I'm thinking liver hit, but not the artery where the two parts of the liver connect. 

I've seen deer live 6+ hrs with that hit.  

Thinking your best bet it to start searching and as mentioned look for crows.  If crows or yotes found him, he won't be covered with snow for long, so look for a dark area that looks out of place.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

Got my "Welcome to Social Security" letter on Saturday and first ever whitetail (lots of elk out west though) on Sunday! Other than a wall hanger, exactly what I wanted -good table fare, a good spike. 27yds, xbow, Rage crossbow X head from brushed in downfall ground blind with great back cover and good windage given SW breeze. He was nose down on a Tinks 69 drag I put across my lanes and stopped on a loud "meeeep" from me with him in crosshairs (xbow shoots flat 30 yds). Double lung pass through, little blood, lucky to find him 70 yards off. Learning a lot from this forum - thanks

• Like 8

arrow.jpg.5af3ddfb43af9dc049b3872a21cf8aea.jpg
UTV.jpg.4db3d31b54ad17868010ea0fdc1505fe.jpg
grid.thumb.jpg.b70a3cec9c695574bfe42a37f3ff9d45.jpg

I’d grid search. In hindsight I think you waited too long knowing the snow was coming (same applies to rain).

In different conditions waiting would have been fine. Good luck!

5 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

Got my "Welcome to Social Security" letter on Saturday and first ever whitetail (lots of elk out west though) on Sunday! Other than a wall hanger, exactly what I wanted -good table fare, a good spike. 27yds, xbow, Rage crossbow X head from brushed in downfall ground blind with great back cover and good windage given SW breeze. He was nose down on a Tinks 69 drag I put across my lanes and stopped on a loud "meeeep" from me with him in crosshairs (xbow shoots flat 30 yds). Double lung pass through, little blood, lucky to find him 70 yards off. Learning a lot from this forum - thanks

Can't post that without pics!!!

Cleaned up and lubed my archery equipment last night to get it packed away for the season. Wife and I have next week scheduled as vacation so I'm done until Saturday when we can carry the boom sticks. Daughter, son in law, and granddaughter will be arriving Friday and staying for a week. Granddaughter wants to go get a buck with us - she's 2 and 1/2  yrs old - lol.

Going to live through you guys the rest of the week and rejoin the party Saturday morning - Go get 'em!

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 4

My buddy shot the stud I jumped scouting last week. I snuck in yesterday during the snow storm to hang a stand where I thought this buck might be cruising and this morning my friend saw him at first light and eventually shot him at 7 yards. Going to track soon, don’t think he went far but it’s a river bottom so pretty thick. I was guesstimating this buck at 170-180 so can’t wait to see what he looks like up close.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Bolt action said:

arrow.jpg

UTV.jpg

grid.jpg

I would not give up on it without a serious grid search out many hundred yards more, deer trail search. It is a killing hit and the deer is dead. If Deer search not back to you by noon I would be looking noon to dark. With that snow it ain't gonna be fun but I wouldn't be able to sleep unless I know i covered every inch and had no other options.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1