LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What's worse though:

A. deer standing broadside at 25 yards, but looking straight at you and clearly alert.

B. deer standing broadside at 50 yards, but head down eating and no clue you are there

I can honestly say I have never had a deer "jump the string" but I could see a feeding deer just happen to take a step at release and that step at 50yds can make a big difference.  That's just my opinion.  I also hope I can hunt smart enough to get a closer shot.  But who knows. 

Knock a few down with the bow Biz and you can make your own assessment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I don't think so if someone is a proficient shooter at that distance. the difference between 40 yards (which many people think is OK) and 52 yards is 12 yards, right? Lets say for even numbers that the arrow is traveling only at 125fps at that distance. That is 42 yards per second. But we are only talking about 12 yards, so 12/42 = .285 seconds. So the difference of a 40 yard shot vs. 52 yard shot is .285 seconds, but likely much less since I am using 125fps as the basis.

when i got my new bow I also bought one them there fancy new sites with the adjustable yardage. had to calibrate it at 20 and 60 to adjust for my bow and arrows. I practice with 20 and 35 yard pins, so I have never even attempted a shot over 40. And man, let me tell you, the movement on my fast eddie dial to adjust between 40 and 60 is no joke, not just that but between 50 and 60. it's not linear for obvious physics reasons, but I would argue that 12 yards past 40 is a big, big difference.

1 hour ago, OtiscoPaul said:

It’s not a fact...Biz was being Biz, I teased him a little about long out west shots and then accidentally said the word duck (which is literally the action you described where it’s body goes lower).

Then I had to be corrected by the deer fact and language cop in a very certain way

no man of science claims to know the whole truth of any matter 

as others have already said, despite you not caring. The term duck implies that the deer hears and sees the arrow and is dodging it like you would someone throwing a ball at your head. When in fact, what is happening is the animals preservation instincts are kicking in at the sudden strange sound, similar to how you would tense up if someone let off a firecracker near you and you didn't know it.

I don't believe it's semantics at all, because typically the tensing only occurs on alert and nervous deer. If a hunter takes a 50 yard shot at an alert and nervous deer I put that into the unethical category. I've been on this site a long time and read enough stories about hunters who blame the string jump for their wounded deer.

In fact it's 1 of 2 things. 

1. the hunter made a poor shot and hit high, no string jump at all

2. the hunter took a high lung shot on an alert deer over 40 yards and the deer loaded up just enough on a slow arrow that the impact was in the loins. Had the hunter taken this same shot and placed it at the heart, the loaded deer would still have been hit in the lungs. 

The moral of the story is that however you look at it, there's nothing magical happening here and these are just poor shots. They happen to all of us, if you've bowhunted long enough it's happened to you. But please for the love of god stop blaming the string jump. blame your freaking self. 

/rant

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I can honestly say I have never had a deer "jump the string" but I could see a feeding deer just happen to take a step at release and that step at 50yds can make a big difference.  That's just my opinion.  I also hope I can hunt smart enough to get a closer shot.  But who knows. 

My only broadhead kill was 18 yards with xbow and the buck went 4-5 yards after double lung. So I don't have much to go by. Currently I feel comfortable to 42 yards. I haven't tried shooting past 42 yards since that's the longest shot i can see in all my bowhunting spots.

I’m not an expert on deer behavior or an expert shot but I’m nearing 50 deer killed with a bow and from my experience deer duck at the sound of a bow more at closer ranges than they do at 40 or 50 yds. My theory is that the sound is further away and they don’t think it’s an immediate threat but that’s just a theory from my experience.I would rather shoot a feeding or distracted deer at 50 than an alert deer at 25. I’ve shot deer at 50 and beyond and will continue to do so.

In the end it boils down to the one releasing the arrow is you’re not comfortable don’t do it, you’re the one that’s gotta look at yourself in the mirror afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What's worse though:

A. deer standing broadside at 25 yards, but looking straight at you and clearly alert.

B. deer standing broadside at 50 yards, but head down eating and no clue you are there

that shot at 25 is just fine. aim at the heart. if you've already drawn and he/she is looking, that deer is dead

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

when i got my new bow I also bought one them there fancy new sites with the adjustable yardage. had to calibrate it at 20 and 60 to adjust for my bow and arrows. I practice with 20 and 35 yard pins, so I have never even attempted a shot over 40. And man, let me tell you, the movement on my fast eddie dial to adjust between 40 and 60 is no joke, not just that but between 50 and 60. it's not linear for obvious physics reasons, but I would argue that 12 yards past 40 is a big, big difference.

It shouldn't make a difference if you adjust your site to whatever difference you ranged the deer at. you are aiming dead on.

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m not an expert on deer behavior or an expert shot but I’m nearing 50 deer killed with a bow and from my experience deer duck at the sound of a bow more at closer ranges than they do at 40 or 50 yds. My theory is that the sound is further away and they don’t think it’s an immediate threat but that’s just a theory from my experience.I would rather shoot a feeding or distracted deer at 50 than an alert deer at 25. I’ve shot deer at 50 and beyond and will continue to do so.

In the end it boils down to the one releasing the arrow is you’re not comfortable don’t do it, you’re the one that’s gotta look at yourself in the mirror afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. That's probably so many are successful at long ranges on elk and sheep. Bigger kill spot and long range means they have no clue it's coming.

15 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Everyone on any given hunt is running that risk Belo . Even on a 15 yard chip shot your taking a risk. I have no issues with the decision the CAT burglar made and  I don’t care what anyone shoots at or what or how far I was just putting myself in that situation. Being in a bind I most certainly would not . If I’m on the ground or stand maybe. That’s all I’ll say on this 

risk percentages vary. lets not be silly.

i think all hunters should care about other hunters to a degree. we're constantly under attack. there are new pics and videos every day of deer wandering around with arrows in their heads. we should police eachother within reason before the anti's do it for us. 

and that's all I'll say on that :)

Nobody should be shooting at a deer with a bow over 20 yards! If you can't get closer you suck as a bowhunter. So longer bow shot=suckier hunter.

I have spoken.

ROTFL

I have no science to base this off of just that I have watched and failed to understand all Moog's instructional videos and all the Academy courses offered!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

NEARLY 7,600 FORUM MEMBERS AND WE GOT 0 BUCK KILLS IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER AND IT'S 11:27AM ON 10/3.

WAKE UP BOYS!

NEARLY 7,600 FORUM MEMBERS AND WE GOT 0 BUCK KILLS IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER AND IT'S 12:30PM ON 10/3.

WAKE UP BOYS!

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

My only broadhead kill was 18 yards with xbow and the buck went 4-5 yards after double lung. So I don't have much to go by. Currently I feel comfortable to 42 yards. I haven't tried shooting past 42 yards since that's the longest shot i can see in all my bowhunting spots.

There is a difference between shooting a deer and a target.  I have no problem keeping arrows in the kill zone at 50.  But I know the difference on a live animal.  That said, lots of animals are killed by arrows at 50 or more - just not by me.  lol  I will take a chip shot over longer range any day of the week.  Again, to each his own.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Nobody should be shooting at a deer with a bow over 20 yards! If you can't get closer you suck as a bowhunter. So longer bow shot=suckier hunter.

I have spoken.

ROTFL

I have no science to base this off of just that I have watched and failed to understand all Moog's instructional videos and all the Academy courses offered!

I was banned from the Academy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

NEARLY 7,600 FORUM MEMBERS AND WE GOT 0 BUCK KILLS IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER AND IT'S 12:30PM ON 10/3.

WAKE UP BOYS!

I'm really hoping to have one down Saturday morning. forecast in my area says 37, clear and 5mph ESE wind

What's worse though:
B. 10000%

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They keep jumping the string

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I'm really hoping to have one down Saturday morning. forecast in my area says 37, clear and 5mph ESE wind

By the time you shoot one saturday morning, i will have already gotten my shoulder mount back from the taxidermist from the friday morning kill.

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

By the time you shoot one saturday morning, i will have already gotten my shoulder mount back from the taxidermist from the friday morning kill.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Let me correct myself, I hope to SEE one (or two) Saturday morning.  No 50 yard shots for me either.

1 minute ago, Don_C said:

Can't wait to see the pics!

Let me correct myself, I hope to SEE one (or two) Saturday morning.  No 50 yard shots for me either.

If I see a deer, it's a good day! because any deer i see will be within 50 yards since that is all the distance i can see.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2