LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

23 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

So chunks and ground? 

No I leave my 4 roasts, backstraps in 6 sections. Cut steaks, and then either stew, speidies or ground meat. You can always cut steaks out of roasts or backstraps when you pull them out and thaw. Neck meat is for the crock pot.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

At 11am today I shot A nice doe from 90 yards. I was Aiming for mid to high shoulder. At the shot she buckled a bit and then took off into the brush lot next door. I had a smoke and went to look. No blood, but I could Make out her tracks. Followed for 75 yards before there was blood, but it wasn’t much. I backed Out for a few hours. To make a long story short, I tracked As far as I could And then a small grid search and found her about 1/2 hour ago. Coyotes had already gotten her, tore up a back strap and rear quarter. I could Make out the hit, right where I aimed. She had gone 450 yards. 

I am putting the 6.5 away and getting one of my other rifles together and sighted in Saturday. I can Say that I would Not recommend that round for deer based on my experience. Maybe I’ll keep it around for yotes, or maybe I’ll get rid of it. I dunno. 

What round did you use? My 6.5 Grendel flattened a 4.5 year old Buck. With the velocity out of the creedmore I’d use a bonded bullet though. I’ve seen deer flattened with hornaday precision hunter creedmore rounds. 

6 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

What round did you use? My 6.5 Grendel flattened a 4.5 year old Buck. With the velocity out of the creedmore I’d use a bonded bullet though. I’ve seen deer flattened with hornaday precision hunter creedmore rounds. 

It is a 6.5 grendel, not a Creedmor. Hornady SST 123gr. It’s only 17gr less than the 140s I use In my 308. Charts show 1000 plus ft/lb at 300 yards. You’d think it would be finest under 100. Entry and exit were small with a very weak blood trail. Not what I like In a deer round. 

36 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

At 11am today I shot A nice doe from 90 yards. I was Aiming for mid to high shoulder. At the shot she buckled a bit and then took off into the brush lot next door. I had a smoke and went to look. No blood, but I could Make out her tracks. Followed for 75 yards before there was blood, but it wasn’t much. I backed Out for a few hours. To make a long story short, I tracked As far as I could And then a small grid search and found her about 1/2 hour ago. Coyotes had already gotten her, tore up a back strap and rear quarter. I could Make out the hit, right where I aimed. She had gone 450 yards. 

I am putting the 6.5 away and getting one of my other rifles together and sighted in Saturday. I can Say that I would Not recommend that round for deer based on my experience. Maybe I’ll keep it around for yotes, or maybe I’ll get rid of it. I dunno. 

Weird no blood for that far, I'm assuming you still have decent snow on the ground. Yeah I'd hang it up for now any maybe circle back to it later on. I'm no ballistics expert but I'd guess maybe it's the round? 

Side note, glad the plots still holding up. I checked ours Sunday and with the snow you could really see the activity and is also holding up pretty well!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

It is a 6.5 grendel, not a Creedmor. Hornady SST 123gr. It’s only 17gr less than the 140s I use In my 308. Charts show 1000 plus ft/lb at 300 yards. You’d think it would be finest under 100. Entry and exit were small with a very weak blood trail. Not what I like In a deer round. 

I used a 123 grain hornaday black eld-m and had phenomenal results at 200 yards. I recovered my bullet after it smashed the opposite leg bone and got caught in the hide. What’s your barrel length? Mines 16”

Edited by Hock3y24

What a day! I hunted hard, saw 18 deer, seven bucks. Climbed down from my stand to cut the distance on this guy. I’ll range tomorrow but guessing just under 200 yd. shot. Laid on my gut and used my backpack as a rest. Heart shot went about 60 yds. 

FC344865-8A3E-496D-87CC-33B69C33CB39.jpeg

9C161E23-DA8E-4D2B-8DAC-D4399228676A.jpeg

• Like 45

That'a kind of what i was getting at in a nut shell , when i decide to do it ,i want to be all in and learn the correct way and have the proper space and equipment. 
Once you have the space try it. You will mess up at first like anything else in life.

I am closer to a "hack" than a butcher but I would rather do it myself. I did not like what I saw at the butchers i've used and I don't need to extra expense.

It probably takes us 2-2.5 hours. We take apart hind quarters and freeze the pieces whole. Cut Backstraps and then the rest for chopped meat and sauce/stew. We chop neck/backbones and ribs to make sauce with so it takes us a little longer. Only throw out the head and leg bones.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Finally got my phone up and running. Been up at my place since Sunday afternoon. Hunted the park Monday caught up to a butterball spike. Saw his tracks in the mud had a hunch he was going to walk along a long ridge show I slow rolled along,saw a tail flick. He was right in front of me ranged at 67 yards,but decided to pass he could careless that I was there as I went closer. Today there was a snow storm so I tried to get back to the park roads where to dangerous for me. Stayed on my property and saw nothing but they’ve been ripping up my little food plots. Heading to the park tomorrow.
Congrats to all the successful!!!
I’m going to be reading post the rest of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

What a day! I hunted hard, saw 18 deer, seven bucks. Climbed down from my stand to cut the distance on this guy. I’ll range tomorrow but guessing just under 200 yd. shot. Laid on my gut and used my backpack as a rest. Heart shot went about 60 yds. 

FC344865-8A3E-496D-87CC-33B69C33CB39.jpeg

9C161E23-DA8E-4D2B-8DAC-D4399228676A.jpeg

congrats! I was out all day only saw squirrels in public land 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

So your shot must have been forward of the shoulder, maybe clipped the scapula?  Missed the lungs and spine?

I wouldn't be too hard on the chambering or bullet just yet.......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Why wouldn't ya......not being an ass just wondering?

This is one of the biggest processors in the area......not sure I have heard any complaints about them in all my years of hunting.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't you just cut your own? I just can't see myself tossing my hard earned deer into an enormous pile of other deer laying on the gravel ground under some nasty tarps (even next to a porta potty) for days. I just think it's kinda dirty. I think when you cut your own it's even more satisfying when you eat it.

• Like 3

Interesting views on cutting up your own , and Now that my garage is more open I should maybe give it a try . But frankly , I love my processor he’s a great guy and I enjoy going ,seeing all the deer , talking to the hunters ,breaking chops . I’ll sit in the hot tub and smoke a cigar while he does the work . Going to Uncle Charlie,my processor is a big part of my season . If I stopped hunting ,I’d still stop by .

That said I feel you should drag your deer out, not call Uber, aka atvs and tractors . I figure that into taking the shot , how much light is left , how muddy are the crop fields , are the ditches to full of water to cross and so on ,of course, a big buck all bets are off .

I think in 40 some years of hunting , maybe three of my deer came out on a atv . But that’s me .

Took ,me 2 hours to get my archery buck out a short 430 yards , my forearms hurt for a couple days, and my hands hurt for a few more ,all part of the hunt to me .

edit my archery buck was done  the next day, my gun buck I dropped off Sat night at 6 , it was ready Monday morning , but I got it today out of his freezer .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

So your shot must have been forward of the shoulder, maybe clipped the scapula?  Missed the lungs and spine?
Everything I read says the 6.5 is very similar to a .308 which is great for deer. Is that not correct

12 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I dont think it was. Looked pretty square in the shoulder. I dont have any confidence in it at this point. The blood trail was pathetic. Might be fine for yotes but it isn’t what I want In a deer round. This season has been giving me a kick in the nuts so far. I’m done experimenting for this year. Unfortunately my options right now are limited to my dads old Remmy 7400 308 which isn’t the most accurate thing I own, or the Browning 300 Win Mag I bought This year. My VTR is still in pieces from having it Cerakoted. Overkill is better than limiting my range to 100-125 yards with the 7400, so I’m dropping a scope on the Browning tonight and sighting it in Saturday. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

Everything I read says the 6.5 is very similar to a .308 which is great for deer. Is that not correct

Same as what I read, which was why I have Been using it. Maybe it’s just the bullet I chose. In any case, I’m not screwing with it anymore this year. I’ll test other rounds out on yotes later on. 

I have seen the.condition some of the  deer going into them shops . Have watched them run deer after deer through the saws and grinders . Makes me sick to think of eating the meat .

I have always butchered my own . I may not be a professional  meat cutter but I did stay at a holiday inn Express once.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I dont think it was. Looked pretty square in the shoulder. I dont have any confidence in it at this point. The blood trail was pathetic. Might be fine for yotes but it isn’t what I want In a deer round. This season has been giving me a kick in the nuts so far. I’m done experimenting for this year. Unfortunately my options right now are limited to my dads old Remmy 7400 308 which isn’t the most accurate thing I own, or the Browning 300 Win Mag I bought This year. My VTR is still in pieces from having it Cerakoted. Overkill is better than limiting my range to 100-125 yards with the 7400, so I’m dropping a scope on the Browning tonight and sighting it in Saturday. 

I would seriously consider borrowing your daughter's rifle.