LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

I have seen the.condition some of the  deer going into them shops . Have watched them run deer after deer through the saws and grinders . Makes me sick to think of eating the meat .
I have always butchered my own . I may not be a professional  meat cutter but I did stay at a holiday inn Express once.
A nice gut shot deer that was recovered after long hours and may or may not have been cleaned out well. Mmmmmmm

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

ok,i need to take lessons from you. It takes me a lot longer to process a deer. I didn't really have a setup,but made one this year. The trimming is done on my workbench in the basement. It takes me close to 1.5 hrs to hang the deer,skin it and get the meat of. Then several hours of trimming,maybe i am to picky,but that is how i learned. I want to try to cook the hocks whole,because trimming those is a nuisance.

Keep the hocks whole and make osso buco. This is the link to my recipe. Oh, and I agree with you on taking the time to trim. For me, it's almost a two day process from start to finish, but i enjoy doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bigbuckdown2019 said:

Win mag, win mag, win mag!! The doe I shot with my .300 made it all of 10yrs and was an enormous blood trail, entered neck out bottom of the chest. I'm using federal non typical 150 soft point.

I know A couple of guys that use them. Deer don’t go far. Just have to be aware of meat damage. 

Just now, WNYBuckHunter said:

Lefty. Won’t work for me. 

Heck I’m right handed , but switched to shooting left handed with a left handed rifle  , due to a weak right eye, no problem. Then I had Lasik eye surgery and went back to a righty rifle . This year, because of the bucks placement , I leaned against a tree to my left and shot my right handed gun gun left handed . Not a problem ,other then I use gloves that are half gloves / mittens, and didn’t flip down the mitten part at first ....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Heck I’m right handed , but switched to shooting left handed with a left handed rifle  , due to a weak right eye, no problem. Then I had Lasik eye surgery and went back to a righty rifle . This year, because of the bucks placement , I leaned against a tree to my left and shot my right handed gun gun left handed . Not a problem ,other then I use gloves that are half gloves / mittens, and didn’t flip down the mitten part at first ....

I’m legally blind in my left eye so I cant switch. If I had No other option, I’d try it out, but working the bolt with my right hand comes natural and I dont Feel like experimenting any more this year. Between last year and so far this season, I’ve been going through a rough patch with my deer hunting. I need Some success. I’ll go back to my trusty 308 next season when I’ve had time to put her back together and get things right. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

6.5 Grendel is NOT a shoulder shooting round. Especially in a 16” barrel. I had two quarter size holes in both sides of chest cavity. 

Gotcha. That’s where I like To hit them, most of the time they drop in their tracks. Maybe I’ll play with bullet choice and give it another try sometime. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Gotcha. That’s where I like To hit them, most of the time they drop in their tracks. Maybe I’ll play with bullet choice and give it another try sometime. 

put it behind that shoulder and you’ll be good. Sure is nice to carry that light gun tho.

• Like 1

Hunting partner Gary, got it done tonight!  Nice buck but one side broke off. He didn't notice it before the shot, just saw the right side and didn't have a lot of time to study him. He wasn't having much luck in his primary spot. So I suggested the oak ridge blind. It's been hot this year! I shot my crossbow buck there, and seen some nice buck after that there too, while looking to shoot a doe. I even have a picture of his buck taken with both sides of his rack! Taken on my phone while hunting there. Three year old dressed 160lbs. Came in to check out does that were eating acorns near by. And snort wheezed. At a small buck that was there too! Pretty exciting hunt for him! We were texting back and forth. I was telling him the last hour was gonna be good there, and it was.

20191119_184451.thumb.jpg.ef52523cdcf960a9331a822b76a618fb.jpg

Picture I took of the deer a couple of weeks ago while sitting the same blind. Might need to blow it up, but he's in there. 

20191109_081329.thumb.jpg.e6075a50db8863ed7d7affc7a3ca0171.jpg

IMG_26221.thumb.jpg.873e6b481053c951da1c141e742008ef.jpg

Edited by grampy
  • Like 29

17 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I should try that on bucks.  Mine tend to run a couple hundred yards.  Too much of a chicken to put the X right on the boiler room, usually aim a bit high.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I should try that on bucks.  Mine tend to run a couple hundred yards.  Too much of a chicken to put the X right on the boiler room, usually aim a bit high.

Only thing with that shot is you blow both shoulders out. Not much usable meat from the front quarters if you hit them right. I had 1 buck run about 70 yards once, with my muzzleloader at 190 yards. My 308 has dropped every one of them in their tracks. With shotgun slugs, it’s like you cut their legs out from under them. 

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Only thing with that shot is you blow both shoulders out. Not much usable meat from the front quarters if you hit them right. I had 1 buck run about 70 yards once, with my muzzleloader at 190 yards. My 308 has dropped every one of them in their tracks. With shotgun slugs, it’s like you cut their legs out from under them. 

Yeah I shoot 308 150 grains.  Haven't seen a doe go more than 20 yards yet, but the bucks are tanks.  

• Like 1

Not the biggest buck down there but I'm happy with him. That's a bull moose, a 34lb coyote, and an 8 pointer. I think I'm good for the season!077df78c860d11b72fb8db6a82058a62.jpg&key=8850eeb9f8963e6a041d106d20a046a6f69f51d24561d6f38b56761629d44cfa1b45d2b23e97e253211869869373cda3.jpg&key=b10d024e989f6cc2a5ce71a75d20d78dc4ee1cdf700275e7be48dca47396a108f600dc9f7127932a73e206ea6f45255f.jpg&key=02e1d2444c3e8a0e1490deab7819a8838d8348d90b5ccc0a356c335aa49c18bd

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Great buck, I want to see the slob if a coyote that you dispatched.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

1 hour ago, YFKI1983 said:

Creedmoor. I did not know there was a difference until hockey wrote Grendel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

with a 16" barrel (using the Grendel) your looking at around 2400 fps, the Creedmore is about 400-500 fps hotter with a regular length barrel. You can use the Grendel in a standard Ar-15 platform, the creedmore needs an ar-10 platform. Think of the Grendel as a 6.5 creedmore short.

• Like 1

Centerpunch the ribcage and deflate the lungs with ANY reasonable  projectile and the deer is going to run as fast as it can for 4 to 5 seconds and then fold up....It may go 20 yards and it may go 100 yards, but not much farther than that..

Deer that drop in their tracks are usually hit IN or very NEAR to the CNS  ( spine or brain) or broken down by disabling both shoulders... 

Energy does not kill deer...Disrupting vital organs or the CNS  does it, whether you are shooting a .243 or a  .375 H&H...

• Like 16

Hunting partner Gary, got it done tonight!  Nice buck but one side broke off. He didn't notice it before the shot, just saw the right side and didn't have a lot of time to study him. He wasn't having much luck in his primary spot. So I suggested the oak ridge blind. It's been hot this year! I shot my crossbow buck there, and seen some nice buck after that there too, while looking to shoot a doe. I even have a picture of his buck taken with both sides of his rack! Taken on my phone while hunting there. Three year old dressed 160lbs. Came in to check out does that were eating acorns near by. And snort wheezed. At a small buck that was there too! Pretty exciting hunt for him! We were texting back and forth. I was telling him the last hour was gonna be good there, and it was.
20191119_184451.thumb.jpg.ef52523cdcf960a9331a822b76a618fb.jpg
Picture I took of the deer a couple of weeks ago while sitting the same blind. Might need to blow it up, but he's in there. 
20191109_081329.thumb.jpg.e6075a50db8863ed7d7affc7a3ca0171.jpg
IMG_26221.thumb.jpg.873e6b481053c951da1c141e742008ef.jpg

Gary is a stone cold stacker of deer!!! Atta boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2