fasteddie

LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I should try that on bucks.  Mine tend to run a couple hundred yards.  Too much of a chicken to put the X right on the boiler room, usually aim a bit high.

Only thing with that shot is you blow both shoulders out. Not much usable meat from the front quarters if you hit them right. I had 1 buck run about 70 yards once, with my muzzleloader at 190 yards. My 308 has dropped every one of them in their tracks. With shotgun slugs, it’s like you cut their legs out from under them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Everything I read says the 6.5 is very similar to a .308 which is great for deer. Is that not correct

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Are we talking 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 grendel?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are we talking 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 grendel?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Creedmoor. I did not know there was a difference until hockey wrote Grendel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Only thing with that shot is you blow both shoulders out. Not much usable meat from the front quarters if you hit them right. I had 1 buck run about 70 yards once, with my muzzleloader at 190 yards. My 308 has dropped every one of them in their tracks. With shotgun slugs, it’s like you cut their legs out from under them. 

Yeah I shoot 308 150 grains.  Haven't seen a doe go more than 20 yards yet, but the bucks are tanks.  

  • Like 1

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not the biggest buck down there but I'm happy with him. That's a bull moose, a 34lb coyote, and an 8 pointer. I think I'm good for the season!077df78c860d11b72fb8db6a82058a62.jpg&key=8850eeb9f8963e6a041d106d20a046a6f69f51d24561d6f38b56761629d44cfa1b45d2b23e97e253211869869373cda3.jpg&key=b10d024e989f6cc2a5ce71a75d20d78dc4ee1cdf700275e7be48dca47396a108f600dc9f7127932a73e206ea6f45255f.jpg&key=02e1d2444c3e8a0e1490deab7819a8838d8348d90b5ccc0a356c335aa49c18bd

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk


Great buck, I want to see the slob if a coyote that you dispatched.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I’m legally blind in my left eye so I cant switch

I call bullshit!! You see an awful lot of deer for being blind in 1 eye... that or you gotta lock that gate behind you as soon as you enter your deer compound. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YFKI1983 said:

Creedmoor. I did not know there was a difference until hockey wrote Grendel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

with a 16" barrel (using the Grendel) your looking at around 2400 fps, the Creedmore is about 400-500 fps hotter with a regular length barrel. You can use the Grendel in a standard Ar-15 platform, the creedmore needs an ar-10 platform. Think of the Grendel as a 6.5 creedmore short.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Centerpunch the ribcage and deflate the lungs with ANY reasonable  projectile and the deer is going to run as fast as it can for 4 to 5 seconds and then fold up....It may go 20 yards and it may go 100 yards, but not much farther than that..

Deer that drop in their tracks are usually hit IN or very NEAR to the CNS  ( spine or brain) or broken down by disabling both shoulders... 

Energy does not kill deer...Disrupting vital organs or the CNS  does it, whether you are shooting a .243 or a  .375 H&H...

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Not the biggest buck down there but I'm happy with him. That's a bull moose, a 34lb coyote, and an 8 pointer. I think I'm good for the season!077df78c860d11b72fb8db6a82058a62.jpg1b45d2b23e97e253211869869373cda3.jpgf600dc9f7127932a73e206ea6f45255f.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
 

Talk about a trifecta! Great season for you. Congrats.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hunting partner Gary, got it done tonight!  Nice buck but one side broke off. He didn't notice it before the shot, just saw the right side and didn't have a lot of time to study him. He wasn't having much luck in his primary spot. So I suggested the oak ridge blind. It's been hot this year! I shot my crossbow buck there, and seen some nice buck after that there too, while looking to shoot a doe. I even have a picture of his buck taken with both sides of his rack! Taken on my phone while hunting there. Three year old dressed 160lbs. Came in to check out does that were eating acorns near by. And snort wheezed. At a small buck that was there too! Pretty exciting hunt for him! We were texting back and forth. I was telling him the last hour was gonna be good there, and it was.
20191119_184451.thumb.jpg.ef52523cdcf960a9331a822b76a618fb.jpg
Picture I took of the deer a couple of weeks ago while sitting the same blind. Might need to blow it up, but he's in there. 
20191109_081329.thumb.jpg.e6075a50db8863ed7d7affc7a3ca0171.jpg
IMG_26221.thumb.jpg.873e6b481053c951da1c141e742008ef.jpg

Gary is a stone cold stacker of deer!!! Atta boy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What's the going rate for cutting up a deer in your areas?  
Local guy here in Columbia/Rensselaer area gets $100. 
Would get really expensive fast with multiple deer taken. 

45e589f22f22d2b0d66ee43d49b473d5.jpg

Depends on what you charge an hour(you lawyers out there can’t afford yourself to cut your own!)....I’m about 4 - 5 hours over a few days to get it looking this way. I use freezer paper most times (don’t last longer than a year anyway).
However I never seen a deer come back from a processor as clean. It’s worth it to me and enjoyable to spend time. My teachers were people on this site and videos.
Notice my daughter’s backpack? I break it down in the kitchen after quartering in my back yard. it’s not a bloody mess once it’s quartered and really ain’t that bad after field dressed and skinned. Carcass goes in contractor bag and regular trash pick up...i live in 3S(aka “the city” to some)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I walked in at 1:30, hooked up my gun, climbed my stand, situated my backpack, pulled up my gun, sat down and started my scan. And 20 yards in front of me bedded down....b19a09213832d1c565008074888ffa31.jpgc60ad5d302fd1c34652db44eeb378b4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up a tree down in the Hole. 32 degrees snow all gone now. Prolly couple days late as this stand was covered in deer opening weekend by the pics smh.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, grampy said:

Hunting partner Gary, got it done tonight!  Nice buck but one side broke off. He didn't notice it before the shot, just saw the right side and didn't have a lot of time to study him. He wasn't having much luck in his primary spot. So I suggested the oak ridge blind. It's been hot this year! I shot my crossbow buck there, and seen some nice buck after that there too, while looking to shoot a doe. I even have a picture of his buck taken with both sides of his rack! Taken on my phone while hunting there. Three year old dressed 160lbs. Came in to check out does that were eating acorns near by. And snort wheezed. At a small buck that was there too! Pretty exciting hunt for him! We were texting back and forth. I was telling him the last hour was gonna be good there, and it was.

20191119_184451.thumb.jpg.ef52523cdcf960a9331a822b76a618fb.jpg

Picture I took of the deer a couple of weeks ago while sitting the same blind. Might need to blow it up, but he's in there. 

20191109_081329.thumb.jpg.e6075a50db8863ed7d7affc7a3ca0171.jpg

IMG_26221.thumb.jpg.873e6b481053c951da1c141e742008ef.jpg

Tell Gary congrats.  You both had quite the season.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dead quiet today in 8H. After a good opening day with 2bucks and a doe, it has been very quiet all around my land. I did find two new scrapes yesterday so there’s still buck activity going on. 
 

E6B0F663-C9A3-4C26-A487-7CE35C314F63.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crappyice said:


45e589f22f22d2b0d66ee43d49b473d5.jpg

Depends on what you charge an hour(you lawyers out there can’t afford yourself to cut your own!)....I’m about 4 - 5 hours over a few days to get it looking this way. I use freezer paper most times (don’t last longer than a year anyway).
However I never seen a deer come back from a processor as clean. It’s worth it to me and enjoyable to spend time. My teachers were people on this site and videos.
Notice my daughter’s backpack? I break it down in the kitchen after quartering in my back yard. it’s not a bloody mess once it’s quartered and really ain’t that bad after field dressed and skinned. Carcass goes in contractor bag and regular trash pick up...i live in 3S(aka “the city” to some)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Been cutting our own deer up for almost 30 yrs.  Got multiple grinders, cuber, patty machine, and chamber vac sealer.  Doesn't take me long from hanging to freezer.

I was just curious what the going rate was in other areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mowin said:

I agree. Been cutting our own deer up for almost 30 yrs.  Got multiple grinders, cuber, patty machine, and chamber vac sealer.  Doesn't take me long from hanging to freezer.

I was just curious what the going rate was in other areas. 

I was charged 80 my last deer and that was for adding cube steaks ,all vac sealed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading up to skin and butcher the two bucks we have hanging in the barn. We've had a great season here so far. Got a couple of DMP's we can fill. Will put the priority on helping some young hunters get something now. That is if they can pry themselves away from their "busy" schedules! My grandson seems to be losing interest unfortunately. More interested in sports and girls right now. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nomad said:

Interesting views on cutting up your own , and Now that my garage is more open I should maybe give it a try . But frankly , I love my processor he’s a great guy and I enjoy going ,seeing all the deer , talking to the hunters ,breaking chops . I’ll sit in the hot tub and smoke a cigar while he does the work . Going to Uncle Charlie,my processor is a big part of my season . If I stopped hunting ,I’d still stop by .

That said I feel you should drag your deer out, not call Uber, aka atvs and tractors . I figure that into taking the shot , how much light is left , how muddy are the crop fields , are the ditches to full of water to cross and so on ,of course, a big buck all bets are off .

I think in 40 some years of hunting , maybe three of my deer came out on a atv . But that’s me .

Took ,me 2 hours to get my archery buck out a short 430 yards , my forearms hurt for a couple days, and my hands hurt for a few more ,all part of the hunt to me .

edit my archery buck was done  the next day, my gun buck I dropped off Sat night at 6 , it was ready Monday morning , but I got it today out of his freezer .

You can come drag mine if you like!  Not really part of the hunt that I relish.  I will happily go with an ATV.  lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Headed out to lease in about 1/2 hr.  Hoping for some "live action". Toting the 30/30 for some good luck. 

IMG_20191119_105233564.jpg

Is that an Angle Eject ?


Answer to No One !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crappyice said:


45e589f22f22d2b0d66ee43d49b473d5.jpg

Depends on what you charge an hour(you lawyers out there can’t afford yourself to cut your own!)....I’m about 4 - 5 hours over a few days to get it looking this way. I use freezer paper most times (don’t last longer than a year anyway).
However I never seen a deer come back from a processor as clean. It’s worth it to me and enjoyable to spend time. My teachers were people on this site and videos.
Notice my daughter’s backpack? I break it down in the kitchen after quartering in my back yard. it’s not a bloody mess once it’s quartered and really ain’t that bad after field dressed and skinned. Carcass goes in contractor bag and regular trash pick up...i live in 3S(aka “the city” to some)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey now, not only have I butchered every deer I have ever shot, I also do my own plumbing, electrical and HVAC repair.  At least then I know whose fault it is when its screwed up.

Still trying to figure out why I can't have both my kitchen and deck light on at the same time.  lol

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Hey now, not only have I butchered every deer I have ever shot, I also do my own plumbing, electrical and HVAC repair.  At least then I know whose fault it is when its screwed up.

Dude.  Lawyers aren't allowed to do their own blue collar work.  Way to stick it to the working man.  Just like IT guys aren't supposed to either.  I'm pretty sure I broke several laws when I did 80% of the work furnishing my basement.

  • Like 2

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...