LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

3 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Out for the afternoon shift with my grandson Jake and two doe tags in my pocket. 

3CB6641D-409E-46B7-914E-D902A45725EC.jpeg

Of all the days for the neighboring farmer to cut his corn. Not five minutes after posting the above pic, we hear the combine fire up. He was within 200-300 yds of us for his turnaround passes. Multiple vehicles making a racket. No deer seen, but did see a flock of turkeys going to roost. They promptly crossed our field in the opposite direction when the combine made the first pass.

Going to drive over there shortly and see if he’s cutting overnight or coming back in the morning. Have to plan my strategy around it. Could be great for an afternoon sit tomorrow after he finishes up.

F77D6577-11EF-4317-A3E1-99BB7FA82BC1.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

Was that close to hammondsport? I have been there in the summer and thought it would be nice to come back for deer season,lots of state land and even a national forest one lake over to the east.

Sounds like fun wherever it was exploring new ground is great. Sucks about the knee,i hope it will recover fast!

I dont know if it is or not but for the knee ive twisted and messed that one up so many times ive got it down to a science on getting it back to normal.  It was fun  we had a blast and some of views we saw were amazing.  

Passed yet another fork buck tonight.. He was 25 yds away and i had my 30-06... Would've been lights out had i shot. Still seeing fresh tracks, new rubs, but scrapes sites are all dead. Might have to take a 1.5 year old buck cause the does have disappeared!! 8G

Edited by JRod 8G8H

34 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

. . . 

Going to drive over there shortly and see if he’s cutting overnight or coming back in the morning. Have to plan my strategy around it. Could be great for an afternoon sit tomorrow after he finishes up.

So, just to make sure I understand, hunting near (on?) a corn field the day after it's cut, is good/preferable? Or hunting nearby while it is being cut? What's your strategy?

7 minutes ago, goosifer said:

So, just to make sure I understand, hunting near (on?) a corn field the day after it's cut, is good/preferable? Or hunting nearby while it is being cut? What's your strategy?

As they cut it deer get pushed out of it . Afterwards there’s lots of spilled corn on it . Here’s a pic taken from the combine on the farm I hunt .

I would often get a call ,telling me when their going to cut .

F74571D6-51A1-4766-93F2-B73662561C31.jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I border the corn field on two sides. Depending on the wind, there’s a stand on a heavy approach trail through my woods/brush leading to an inside corner of the corn. And I’ve got a double ladder stand for opposite wind that overlooks the other inside corner from 30 yds off the line. (Have permission to shoot into the field). 
I think he’s going to finish in the morning, so I’m planning on a decent afternoon sit.

I wish I had a buck tag left!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

As they cut it deer get pushed out of it . Afterwards there’s lots of spilled corn on it . Here’s a pic taken from the combine on the farm I hunt .

I would often get a call ,telling me when their going to cut .

F74571D6-51A1-4766-93F2-B73662561C31.jpeg

The fields I hunt with corn look like parking lots after cutting now. The new machines leave nothing behind its amazing.  Used to go and get some of the leftover corn for bird feeder at the house.  Now your lucky to find a half dozen ears in a field. Sucks for hunting when they cut it. 

They always spill some out of the trucks it seems . Also depending on field conditions the trucks will sometimes ride along side the combine and the shute will load directly into it, if they don’t keep even pace you can get some spillage there to I’d imagine . I’d always see small piles ,especially where the trucks park, and enter / exit .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The fields I hunt with corn look like parking lots after cutting now. The new machines leave nothing behind its amazing.  Used to go and get some of the leftover corn for bird feeder at the house.  Now your lucky to find a half dozen ears in a field. Sucks for hunting when they cut it. 

Yep, our old lease had a 300 acre corn field not a kernel left behind. 

Edited by rob-c

1 hour ago, JRod 8G8H said:

Passed yet another fork buck tonight.. He was 25 yds away and i had my 30-06... Would've been lights out had i shot. Still seeing fresh tracks, new rubs, but scrapes sites are all dead. Might have to take a 1.5 year old buck cause the does have disappeared!! 8G

Noticed here in 8G the doe are grouped up (5 yesterday).seeing same activity as scrapes are dead.if its brown its down!

• Like 1

I'm planning to spend tomorrow afternoon in my tower with my son in law...I figure the deer will be out tomorrow afternoon feeding ahead of tomorrow night's ice/snow.....I spent the last two days doing holiday stuff with family..Time to go hunting again'''Good luck to all..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I'm planning to spend tomorrow afternoon in my tower with my son in law...I figure the deer will be out tomorrow afternoon feeding ahead of tomorrow night's ice/snow.....I spent the last two days doing holiday stuff with family..Time to go hunting again'''Good luck to all..

Tis why im catching up on some zzz's tomorrow morning and starting around 10am.hoping they put the feed bag on ahead of the weather.good luck,knock em down!!

• Like 1

I’m thinking the second phase of the rut should be kicking in soon for all those that haven’t killed bucks yet. Hopefully we can have another good wave come through the forum. Good luck this weekend! 

We had a nice 8 taken thanksgiving morning that was chasing a doe hard all over the property. This was in 8G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2