LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

21 minutes ago, JRod 8G8H said:

Rattled in a basket 6 this morning and tonight i was shut out for the first time this year.. Warm and windy tonight..... Tomorrow morning nice n cold 37 I feel like this thread might explode tomorrow morning!! Good luck all

I sure hope it does!!!going to try the rattles n sit till noonish instead of bailing out early

47 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Waking up to deer pics gives one motivation, especially since the camera has only been there a few hours and I moved a stand there yesterday in the rain. Screenshot_20191013-052114.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

That tall-racked 2-1/2 year old 8-point is just enough to get me motivated also.  I was not feeling it too much yet this fall for a few reasons.  Mostly because I have had so much work to get done on our farm before winter, and we still have about 1/2 of a year's supply of vacuum-sealed venison leftover in the freezer from last year, including plenty of grind (venison tacos are my kid's favorite meal).

I am finally getting caught up on the work.  If I can get an old broken-down tractor going tomorrow (unknown electrical problem), I will be in very good shape there.   My wife is trying to use up the old deer meat as fast as she can.  Normally, when the freezer is low, I will settle for a buck with at least three points on a side, to punch my tag early in the seasons.  I am upping that to four this year, due to the current meat-supply situation.     

Punching antlerless tags is very difficult for me around home because neighboring farmers hammer them hard prior to October 1st, with their nuisance  permits.   That, coupled with some early bowhunting pressure, has been enough to force them almost completely nocturnal, by the time crossbow opens and I start hunting around home in the southern zone.  

My first hunt will be this Thursday or Friday with my crossbow, up in the northern zone (opens Wed up there), followed by 3 days with my ML.  Punching antlerless tags is much easier up there at that time, where antlerless deer outnumber antlered ones by about six to one.  

The ratio is almost opposite that at home, thanks to the neighbors and their nuisance permits.  That makes me want to save my archery/ML buck tag until I get home, but if I see one the size of the one in your photo or larger, he will earn my tag up north, on my next hunt.     

• Like 1

Ughh. Just had a doe creep up the little trail I have to get in my blind to about 6ft away. She stops. Starts stomping for a good 3-4 mins. Then she lets out the loudest blow she could. And just stands there staring. She’s been blowing for 15 mins now. It’s dead quiet here so that crap is echoing far lol.

Stupid doe. First time I’ve had one take my little path. Might have to block it off with something to stop that from happening again.

Ughh. Just had a doe creep up the little trail I have to get in my blind to about 6ft away. She stops. Starts stomping for a good 3-4 mins. Then she lets out the loudest blow she could. And just stands there staring. She’s been blowing for 15 mins now. It’s dead quiet here so that crap is echoing far lol.

Stupid doe. First time I’ve had one take my little path. Might have to block it off with something to stop that from happening again.

Shoulda killed her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk