Another good NYT article on hunting

Curmudgeon

Actually, hunting for food brings hunting full circle.  It started out as a survival method in the 1600's and maintained that status until the early 1900's when food became widely available from merchants.  For a while it was still a food source pursuit for many, until mass produced retail food became so much more available, plentiful and inexpensive.  That's when hunting became more of a sport than a necessity for the majority of the population. 

The anti hunting agenda that began in the 1960's has taken a toll on the numbers of hunters.  Hunters were made to feel guilty and their progeny shunned if they took it up.  A generation was fed propaganda and they swallowed it.  But, you can see the numbers of fishing licenses remained pretty stable during that same period, perhaps because there was no concerted effort to eliminate it from the American lifestyle.  

This new generation of hunter, specifically targeting game as a food source, will not be affected by the anti-hunting attacks of the past, because they don't do it for "sport", even though I don't think they will be able to hunt for long without learning to enjoy the sporting aspect of the hunt as well.  After all, our ancestors hunted for food, but loved the sporting aspect of it too.

I welcome the "foodies" to the sport.  I am pretty sure PETA doesn't. ;)