CCW Pistols

Lately I've tried a ton of small 9mm pistols more ideal for concealed carry from Kahr, S&W, Kimber, Glock, Ruger, and Sig.  Got to say i really liked the Sig P365. They've coming out with a 365MS that has a manual safety but i'm not interested in that. The one without is really eating at my will power.  The slide release was real firm but will definitely Anyone else get their hands on one?

I looked ,held and shot the single stack 9's by Springfield (xds) , the Walther and S @ W  but bought the Smith MP shield as I liked it the best. I like the idea of a thumb safety  Bought the 2.0 performance model with the better trigger,ported barrel/slide and night sights. Love the gun to carry and shoot

• Like 1

20 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I looked ,held and shot the single stack 9's by Springfield (xds) , the Walther and S @ W  but bought the Smith MP shield as I liked it the best. I like the idea of a thumb safety  Bought the 2.0 performance model with the better trigger,ported barrel/slide and night sights. Love the gun to carry and shoot

that exact one is on my short list. was prior to the 365 even then. solid choice.

19 hours ago, rob-c said:

Are you dead set on semi’s ? If not you should check out some of the light weight revolvers from Smith & Wesson and Ruger. My favorite being a Ruger  lcr in 38+p. 

simplicity is nice but that small and you go hammerless with a very long and heavy triggers. so yea i think i'm sticking to semi's. capacity is also there with a semi.

Ironically, my local fun shop just posted that they received a new supply of 365's.  I'll swing by to check it out, but I have my doubts about carrying one.  MAC (Military Arms Channel) noted several failures over the course of testing.  If those design issues haven't been resolved, then the 365 is a paperweight to me.

I'm curious to see the new Glocks though.  My current lineup is a Shield 9 and G19.  If I can get the 10 rd capacity in a Shield-like size package, then it might be worth it. 

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

simplicity is nice but that small and you go hammerless with a very long and heavy triggers. so yea i think i'm sticking to semi's. capacity is also there with a semi.

Not trying to talk you out of a semi, but the lcr’s have a fantastic trigger. If you are ever given a chance shoot one. 

12 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Ironically, my local fun shop just posted that they received a new supply of 365's.  I'll swing by to check it out, but I have my doubts about carrying one.  MAC (Military Arms Channel) noted several failures over the course of testing.  If those design issues haven't been resolved, then the 365 is a paperweight to me.

I'm curious to see the new Glocks though.  My current lineup is a Shield 9 and G19.  If I can get the 10 rd capacity in a Shield-like size package, then it might be worth it. 

the ones you'll handle will be a gen 2.5 basically. there were some issues that got figured out. new gun is all. everything should be more than fine now.

it's based off the same design that just won the military modular pistol contract. i handled all the comparable glocks right next to it side by side. 365 was better to me. even single and double stacks. G19 is massive compared to the 365. shield was even a bit bigger i think. shield was on my short list though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

the ones you'll handle will be a gen 2.5 basically. there were some issues that got figured out. new gun is all. everything should be more than fine now.

it's based off the same design that just won the military modular pistol contract. i handled all the comparable glocks right next to it side by side. 365 was better to me. even single and double stacks. G19 is massive compared to the 365. shield was even a bit bigger i think. shield was on my short list though.

Good to hear. :good:  I carried a Kahr PM9 for a long time, loved it, but that was a bear for range sessions.  The 19 would be my go to in a fight, but you're right about the carry size.  There are always trade-offs.  NY throws in the added problem of a max 10 rd mag capacity. 

My needs are pretty basic: 1) Gotta have the gun on me; ie. it needs to carry well, 2) must be proven reliable and 3) I have to shoot it well.  So far the Shield and 19 fit that criteria, but neither fits the profile of being the ideal 10 rd capacity CCW.

ł carry my G27 everyday. Have not had a reason to consider anything else.

However ł do recommend adding a magazine floor plate grip extension so you have somewhere for your pinky to go. That makes a world of difference.

Also, in my opinion night sights are a must on an EDC. 

Edited by XGX7PM

I should also add that for me, shooting a certain pistol well starts with my grip.  Some of the smaller ccw pistols don't give my weapon hand enough real estate for a solid grip.  It also helps to have some heft to the pistol to absorb recoil so I can get quicker follow up shots.  

19 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Good to hear. :good:  I carried a Kahr PM9 for a long time, loved it, but that was a bear for range sessions.  The 19 would be my go to in a fight, but you're right about the carry size.  There are always trade-offs.  NY throws in the added problem of a max 10 rd mag capacity. 

My needs are pretty basic: 1) Gotta have the gun on me; ie. it needs to carry well, 2) must be proven reliable and 3) I have to shoot it well.  So far the Shield and 19 fit that criteria, but neither fits the profile of being the ideal 10 rd capacity CCW.

the pm9 and sig p365 are really close to the same size. with the extended mag in the sig it was a real solid hold. still shooting it i'm sure like any close to pocket sized pistol would need a firm lower fingers or support hand. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

ł carry my G27 everyday. Have not had a reason to consider anything else.

However ł do recommend adding a magazine floor plate grip extension so you have somewhere for your pinky to go. That makes a world of difference.

Also, in my opinion night sights are a must on an EDC. 

p365 has tritium siglight night sights front and back. first question i had. the guy behind the counter brought me right out back to see them in the dark store room. i have them on my p226 elite scorpion and they're a must.

20 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

I should also add that for me, shooting a certain pistol well starts with my grip.  Some of the smaller ccw pistols don't give my weapon hand enough real estate for a solid grip.  It also helps to have some heft to the pistol to absorb recoil so I can get quicker follow up shots.  

assuming you've got both hands. it helps a lot to have a firm grip with max contact but not a strangle hold with your shooting hand. if your hand is tense your booger hook will be. my follow ups are better with a firmer grip on my support hand brought tight to the guard and breaking open hand knuckle over knuckle.

one thing i'll give the glocks and kimber solo. barrel plain versus how high you can get up on the grip is noticeably different than the profile of the sig slide. still i think it'd shoot just fine based on some reviews i've seen. i don't know of anyone with one.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

assuming you've got both hands. it helps a lot to have a firm grip with max contact but not a strangle hold with your shooting hand. if your hand is tense your booger hook will be. my follow ups are better with a firmer grip on my support hand brought tight to the guard and breaking open hand knuckle over knuckle.

True enough, but I also train shooting one-handed.  It was something exposed as one of my weak points in a training class.  You never know what might happen in a fight so better to practice it now than try to figure it out later under the stress of a huge adrenaline dump.