Why No dove season in NY ?

Hunter007

What a great thread.........

All the best crankin' off some rounds!!

Much to FSW's dismay, hunting dove in NYS could soon be legal, thanks to Mike Rossi (the REAL Mike Rossi) and a handful of supporters that have worked tirelessly to promote it. 

How do they taste? exactly like a dove.  They are a great challenge for wing shooters and a wonderful bird for owners of retrieving dogs.  The dove season in most states (they are legal in 42 states) starts September first and can be quite long.  Lots of opportunity for men, women and young hunters to participate in favorable weather conditions.

As I've posted pics in the past, I'll only post one now.  This was the last night of my first mourning dove hunt weekend more than 20 years ago.........my old pooch Krista at my side.

Pennsylvania...

Qwok5Al.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Much to FSW's dismay, hunting dove in NYS could soon be legal, thanks to Mike Rossi (the REAL Mike Rossi) and a handful of supporters that have worked tirelessly to promote it. 

How do they taste? exactly like a dove.  They are a great challenge for wing shooters and a wonderful bird for owners of retrieving dogs.  The dove season in most states (they are legal in 42 states) starts September first and can be quite long.  Lots of opportunity for men, women and young hunters to participate in favorable weather conditions.

As I've posted pics in the past, I'll only post one now.  This was the last night of my first mourning dove hunt weekend more than 20 years ago.........my old pooch Krista at my side.

Pennsylvania...

Qwok5Al.jpg

More people travel down to look for Doves at Montezuma Swamp bird watching that would not support a season then hunters that would take the time to support.  A dove season would be about a smart as stocking Pheasants to feed the Vermin.       If it didnt pass back when there was hunters i doubt it would ever pass now with less. It will get buried if it ever went to public comment.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

More people travel down to look for Doves at Montezuma Swamp bird watching that would not support a season then hunters that would take the time to support.  A dove season would be about a smart as stocking Pheasants to feed the Vermin.       If it didnt pass back when there was hunters i doubt it would ever pass now with less. It will get buried if it ever went to public comment.

You are probably right be nice if they could slip something like that in the regulations without anybody noticing  to bad some people can not  mind there own business.   People that don't  hunt should not have as much say in what hunters  get to hunt  . Should be based on if its sustainable or not .

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You are probably right be nice if they could slip something like that in the regulations without anybody noticing  to bad some people can not  mind there own business.   People that don't  hunt should not have as much say in what hunters  get to hunt  . Should be based on if its sustainable or not .

People will have say when its a Songbird in the state.

12 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

People will have say when its a Songbird in the state.

They shouldn't , hunting should be based purely on if you can keep a sustainable population of what ever you are hunting   . Thats the way it should be done . If x is to low you have less hunting or no hunting and if x numbers  are very high you have more hunting , it should never come down to  if something is too cute we don't hunt it. 

Bears are cute to many people until the population gets out of control and they eat you .

Not a good way to manage wildlife. 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I quoted Eminem by saying “F the Free World, 313!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap, I just browsed through that thread. I wasn't very active here back then so I missed it at the time. Have to make time to read it all this weekend. Epic!

• Like 1

Holy crap, I just browsed through that thread. I wasn't very active here back then so I missed it at the time. Have to make time to read it all this weekend. Epic!

Ya no kidding. Funny that a couple of those posters that are still around have not changed at all. And 6 years down the line it looks like Biz was spot on with a big part of the blanket statement with the high teen pregnancy rate that happened.

• Like 2

Very good Post and picture above of Lawdwaz. I totally agree that a Mourning Dove Season would be Awesome for NY Hunters. Youth as well.   So, I agree with Lawdwaz-- but don't agree with Four Season Whitetails.  I did not agree-- so the ( floodgates) to this Thread will continue with a FSWs reply and on.

Like anyone really cares what you or anyone else agrees with. Facts are there are more bird watchers that will fight this then hunters that care or would spend the time to support a season on Songbirds. Been shot down time after time, And that was when we had hunters.

Ya no kidding. Funny that a couple of those posters that are still around have not changed at all. And 6 years down the line it looks like Biz was spot on with a big part of the blanket statement with the high teen pregnancy rate that happened.

Thank you sir. One of them greatest predictions of all time!

I missed most of these posts from yesterday. Just read them . Page 3-- Four Season Whitetails writes--- Turkeys are not real tough to Tackle. Our Season lasts maybe a week--- most times 2 Days.  OK-- perhaps they are for you and others that hunt with you. I invite you to come down to Sterling Forest State Park early in May. I would like to observe and see if you can Limit out in 2 Days. 

My God are you another one of those Sterling guys? A turkey is a turkey. If it's there it's killable. Some of us are just smart enough to own and manage our own properties. Not real tough!

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Pennsylvania...

Qwok5Al.jpg

Looks like you and ol' Krista had a great day, back then! Great picture, and memory for you I'm sure.

I've never shot or eaten a morning dove. But there are plenty of them around here, and on our farm property. I bet my grandson and I would have a great time wingshooting them together! Though I'm not much of a wingshooter, I feel that any hunting opportunity, for ALL hunters, should be explored. Since doves are considered game birds in 42 other states. And the population is well within the whelm of support for hunting, I see no reason not to pass a dove hunting law here in NY. 

Even if I never shoot a dove, I support any hunter that would.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

man there's some names i haven't seen in a while. Shawnhu and ants. both used to be pretty active.

8 hours ago, Storm914 said:

They shouldn't , hunting should be based purely on if you can keep a sustainable population of what ever you are hunting   . Thats the way it should be done . If x is to low you have less hunting or no hunting and if x numbers  are very high you have more hunting , it should never come down to  if something is too cute we don't hunt it. 

Bears are cute to many people until the population gets out of control and they eat you .

Not a good way to manage wildlife. 

Well said

Four Season Whitetails-- running out of time here.  In your post above-- you say -- some of us are smart enough to Own and Manage our own Property's-- not real tough.          Ok,  alot of Turkey Hunters do not have enough Money to Buy and Own their own Land. Public Land is where we hunt. Again-- I am not saying you can't do it-- but, I would like to Observe if you can take 2 Gobblers in 2 Days as you say on Public Land in Sterling Forest State Park. I would be the 1st to shake your hand if you can do that. To work, I go-- device off-- comment later.

Not my problem what other hunters don't have or can't do. At the end of the day a 2yr old Tom in May is a pretty easy bird to kill regardless of where it stands.