Permanent huts/structures

mlammerhirt

Ok

That time of year to start prepping for the fall.

With my boys getting older and wanting to spend more time with me in the woods I think we are going to make the slow progression to adding a few permanent structures.

Have a buddy who has two of these and absolutely loves them.

Looking for others opinions and also looking to hear what everyone else is using.

https://www.ghostblind.com/product/ghostblind-octagon-hunting-box-blind-diy-kit/

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Ok

That time of year to start prepping for the fall.

With my boys getting older and wanting to spend more time with me in the woods I think we are going to make the slow progression to adding a few permanent structures.

Have a buddy who has two of these and absolutely loves them.

Looking for others opinions and also looking to hear what everyone else is using.

https://www.ghostblind.com/product/ghostblind-octagon-hunting-box-blind-diy-kit/

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I put up two of the redneck softsided blinds last march.  Metal frame and withstood 70mph winds without any damage.  I think I paid around $400 for each on sale.  I can say that after almost one year up, I think they will last a long time and they worked great  for 2 people.  Buddy heater kept them plenty warm too.  I don't hesitate to recommend them.   Pygmy killed a couple of deer from one.

• Like 2

Buy yourself a set of elevators 80 bucks or so and build a nice solid blind 6x6 is a good 2 person size ,you can make it for stand up bow shooting , put corrugated roof on it. As tall as you want or right on the ground , a nice rug for floor and put a buddy heater in it. Can get it built for under 400. Fabric material will become ov damaged in sun . So siding scraps or plywood is a better material..

• Like 2

The main part of my favorite (2-story) blinds are old construction-style truck caps.    I start out with a wood deck (sized for the cap), with a three foot high 2x4 or 2x6 stud and plywood wall built across the front and both sides.   The cap is bolted onto the top of that wall.     You can use an old snowmobile trailer (if you want mobility) for the lower deck.  It is leveled and blocked up a few feet above ground level to provide easy access.    These truck caps have heavy duty ladder racks on top, and that is where you can build another wood deck for the upper level.   That also gets a three foot high wall, built on each side and the front.   I use weathered barn wood for siding on that upper wall, which blends in very well with the fall and winter woods.   I face the open end of these blinds on the downwind side of the prevailing wind direction.   

Most hunts, when the wind is not too strong and there is no rain, sleet or snow, I hunt from the open-top upper level.   I keep a hard plastic swivel chair, or a padded weather-resistant boat-seat swivel chair up there.   Two years ago, I killed a 3-1/2 year old buck from the upper level of one with my crossbow, and a 2-1/2 year old buck on the year prior.   The higher elevation makes visibility better and helps keep your scent away from the deer.   In rain, heavy snow, or high-wind conditions, I hunker down in the lower level in a comfortable padded office-style swivel chair (these and the truck caps themselves can usually be garbage picked along the side of the road).    I have yet to kill an antlered buck from the lower level of one, but I have lost count of the does and button bucks that have made the short trip to deer heaven (our family's food supply), courtesy of a shot fired from down there.   

Those truck caps have side panels that fold out, making a sun-screen that does a good job of keeping the glare out of your gun's scope.  In addition to blocking your movements, as you get into position for the shot, the three foot high walls make perfect gun or crossbow rests.   Besides making warm, comfortable spots to kill deer from,  having a few of these around your property is better deterrent to poachers and trespassers than posted signs, since they never know when you may be in them.    One thing is for sure, the older I get the more I like hunting out of these blinds than tree stands. 

The best thing about the two-story blinds is that you can go downstairs, if the weather turns bad when you are up top, or vise versa.   Violent storms can stop as fast as they start and that is the best time to be in position to kill a deer.        

I took the time to build this a few years ago. 6x6 posts, concrete anchored. It was well worth the effort. Rock solid and fairly weather tight. Its really suitable for gun only but it has really turned out to be a must-hunt stand early to mid gun season.

I've been hanging on to four more 6x6's since I built that one. Need to get those things in the ground and build another one.

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

• Like 8

Good to start thinking about it early -

Where we have the following blinds - we had lesser versions there first and once the locations was proven - we built them permanent, 

Made our own as well.  Old pallet racks are a nice frame for an elevated blind.

0tc4As2.jpg

MxdX2NB.jpg

A ground building can be great too on the right location - this one covers a pipeline right of way  in a valley - we call it the Ticket Booth.

7xiP4m2.jpg

SvskCim.jpg

Its nice to build in some personal touches - good luck!!

• Like 6

This yr our new food plot will be done and I want to build one my son and I can sleep in. I'm envisioning some great youth hunts out of it in 2 yrs!! Anyone have larger ones? I'm thinking windows, insulation, small fireplace and a bathroom of some sorts.