PA Hunting Changes

BizCT

Sunday Hunting may finally be allowed! Also, possibly a Saturday (instead of Monday) rifle opener on 11/30/19.

Both of these are game changers for me. My biggest issue with PA was wasting a Sunday not hunting. But now I can a take a Friday or Monday off and hunt 3 full days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sunday Hunting may finally be allowed! Also, possibly a Saturday (instead of Monday) rifle opener on 11/30/19.

Both of these are game changers for me. My biggest issue with PA was wasting a Sunday not hunting. But now I can a take a Friday or Monday off and hunt 3 full days.

You have land in pa? Bizz 

Neighbor hunts PA big time. He will be happy. Also shoots some nice deer there but its hard hunting. He has been doing it for a very long time. His dad has a camp and they use the rail tracks to get in. No shit the thing you pump up and down to move along the tracks! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You have land in pa? Bizz 

No. I hunted state forest in 2011 and 2013. Seen a lot of deer. The entire state has AR’s either 3pt on a side or 4pt on a side depending on the zone. The buck kills get better every year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Both of these changes are a huge deal in Pennsylvania.  The Saturday opener is going to be met with plenty of push back.  The Sunday thing is about damn (not the water holder thing Stormy) time.....

No I'm mike rossi now chef said it so many times I'm starting to believe it lol 

No. I hunted state forest in 2011 and 2013. Seen a lot of deer. The entire state has AR’s either 3pt on a side or 4pt on a side depending on the zone. The buck kills get better every year.

Will be sweet when Ny finally see's the light and put's in statewide Ar. Hopefully it's a wide as the ears thing when it does go thru.

• Like 2

Sunday hunting in PA ??  I'll believe it when I see it..
Next you'll be telling me the Bills won the Superbowl..

I keep getting the emails from the PGC. I guess because I bought licenses there years ago. Anyway, it sounds promising

Nothing in stone yet. It's showing promise that the move from Monday to Saturday will likely happen.  I am sure the small towns in the traditional deer rich mountains will suffer imensly from this change. I guess now if this happens the Monday after Thanksgiving will no longer be a state holiday.

Sunday hunting is on the table but is certainly not a given yet. The farm bureau is staunchly against the Sunday hunting as are a lot of land owners. The hunter numbers and mentality in PA is so much different than anywhere else. NY is a cake walk compared to PA. The last I heard was that the farm bureau was maybe willing to compromise IF some changes were made to the trespassing laws...something that has been needed for a long time.

Semi rifle for big game is not looking good for making it through again this year. Surprisingly the biggest opponent to this is hunters themselves.

• Like 1

I've lived here most of my life, I am glad things are finally starting to turn around. Nothing is etched in stone yet, but the momentum is now in place.  :imsohappy:

I have never understood the mindset of most of the people who live here, traditions, no matter how silly or outdated, are treated like gospel, and many are so reluctant to any type of change that it becomes laughable. But most of the old-timers (I'm one myself) are losing their say, and the younger generation sees through this. I welcome PA finally coming into the 21st century.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 9:47 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I used to love hunting the state land in PA. Used to hunt in Pike County

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I hunted pike county in January once. It was bitter cold but I found a nice shed

I’m seriously considering trying Pike County again this upcoming season. Always did well there

• Like 1

I lived in Pa, almost 40 years ago.  Back then there was no Sunday hunting, most stores were not allowed to be open on Sunday.  Beer was sold in "Package Shops", or bars, not in grocery stores.  There were tons of deer on state land, mostly does.  It was not unusual to see large herds of does during rifle season.  And state land was plentiful, easy access for me.

I’m seriously considering trying Pike County again this upcoming season. Always did well there

I saw tons of sign there but again it was January and literally 0 degrees. I hunted the state land near blooming Grove I think? Maybe 180 the state land number? If that makes sense

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I saw tons of sign there but again it was January and literally 0 degrees. I hunted the state land near blooming Grove I think? Maybe 180 the state land number? If that makes sense

I hunted over by Shahola Falls. Forget the state land number but plenty of deer there back then

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Saturday opening day was passed,no sunday hunting yet, maybe a 3 sunday trial next season,the sunday after archery,sunday after rifle opens and 1 to be determined.

semi auto has passed for small game only.

I have been living in pa for the past 10 years but my hunting is done in new York.

not a bowhunter but I did buy a crossbow this season to take advantage of the being able to use it for the entire archery season