ODYSSEUS

Spring Gobblers: BootLeather On Public Lands-- My New Short Video Of 2/8/19.

Recommended Posts

Hope, I can help out some Beginners and Novices who hunt Public Lands with this short video . Tryed to get more up- but my old smartphone would not upload any more segments.  Luck out there this Spring!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good sample of cutting Bill.  I’d be interested in seeing how you do fighting purrs on a slate.  Not sure if calling will be upcoming episodes I’ve only heard them once in the wild.  What an experience for sure. Only run slate myself. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woods roads.


Woods roads


Woods roads


I recommend NOT following woods roads. It's State land, meaning EVERY lazy Hunter will follow the woods roads. If you want to get a gobbler on State land, stay off the woods roads. Get back in the timber. Find some good roost areas. Woods roads may get traveled by birds but they aren't stupid. They prob see lots of people walking the woods roads and start shying away. Woods roads are not the key to spring birds in State land. Cut all you want, but get off the woods roads. Bill, I'm surprised you recommend this method of following woods roads. If this is really how you hunt, this is why those around you in the same park kill birds and you don't. The State land I just t has woods roads. I typically walk a half mile past the woods roads ending and START hunting there. I can see the boot prints in the mid that stop at the end of the woods roads. I'm not saying your not helping an uneducated Hunter, or new Hunter, but following a woods roads is typical, u gotta be different to stay CONSISTENT.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Thanks for the (Likes) Guys! Thumbs up!!

I was going to say you deserve more likes  just for bravery to post in here tuff  crowd to please I noticed.

Even if some may do it a different way  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 4 Threads down TurkeyFeathers is my 2nd Video . I do show Fighting Purrs-- on a Slate there. Hit--- Calling Gobblers In With Proven Older Callers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read your post Treeguy. It's all good. All, I can say is that Woodsroads Through the Hardwoods  and Learning as much Woodsmanship as possible put those 40 pairs of Spurs in that box. I had many more that were lost with time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just read your post Treeguy. It's all good. All, I can say is that Woodsroads Through the Hardwoods  and Learning as much Woodsmanship as possible put those 40 pairs of Spurs in that box. I had many more that were lost with time.
So what your saying is doing your woods roads routine has put legs in the box since you started hunting..... Those same woods roads you say are where it's " harder " than private woods roads.... You make no sense ole Billy boy.

State land hard to hunt

Private land easy


Only hunt woods roads on State land

Killed tons of birds


So what your saying, is hunting public isn't actually hard. Just follow woods roads and it's a box of legs, easy.

Maybe private land is actually harder because there may not be woods roads.


Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

So what your saying is doing your woods roads routine has put legs in the box since you started hunting..... Those same woods roads you say are where it's " harder " than private woods roads.... You make no sense ole Billy boy.

State land hard to hunt

Private land easy


Only hunt woods roads on State land

Killed tons of birds


So what your saying, is hunting public isn't actually hard. Just follow woods roads and it's a box of legs, easy.

Maybe private land is actually harder because there may not be woods roads.


Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
 

Let me ask you this you hunt private land right .

Now let's say it is just you that is allowed to hunt that private land now let's say you let 100 guys also hunt that same private land The next year .

Which scenario is likely to give you personally a better outcome ? 

When you had the land all to yourself. 

Or the next year when you let 100 guys also hunt there ?

 

Edited by Storm914
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Let me ask you this you hunt private land right .
Now let's say it is just you that is allowed to hunt that private land now let's say you let 100 guys also hunt that same private land The next year .
Which scenario is likely to give you personally a better outcome ? 
When you had the land all to yourself. 
Or the next year when you let 100 guys also hunt there ?
 
I will need some time to ponder that.

Ok.

Killed birds on private.
Killed birds on public.

I think it depends on the bird, not the where or the who


I've shut my door and had em gobble

I've also hunted the same tight lipped Tom for days


I've called Tom's to me off the roost when there was another Hunter within 100yrds or so


My point was this, oddisus is trying to help with advice, I can appreciate that. If your hunting public my personal recommendation is to not follow the woods roads that other hunters have prob been walking daily. Your basically agreeing with me. If you have 100 guys walking the same dirt, don't you think the majority will take the woodsroads? Wouldn't you want to NOT go where everybody else has gone ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Treeguy-- I already know you will strike first on any and all threads, I post.  I am not going anywhere. Too tired to counter you tonight. I have 118  Kills on Public Lands in only 29 years of Turkey Hunting. Some may be Jealous about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Treeguy-- I already know you will strike first on any and all threads, I post.  I am not going anywhere. Too tired to counter you tonight. I have 118  Kills on Public Lands in only 29 years of Turkey Hunting. Some may be Jealous about that. 
Enough with the strike first garbage.

Consistently killing LB's is impressive.

How many Jake's in your box of spurs ?

How many birds have you passed on because you wanted more of a challenge ?

What's you average score for your 118?


Since you want to toot your own horn, I'm curious on stats that matter.


Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I will need some time to ponder that.

Ok.

Killed birds on private.
Killed birds on public.

I think it depends on the bird, not the where or the who


I've shut my door and had em gobble

I've also hunted the same tight lipped Tom for days


I've called Tom's to me off the roost when there was another Hunter within 100yrds or so


My point was this, oddisus is trying to help with advice, I can appreciate that. If your hunting public my personal recommendation is to not follow the woods roads that other hunters have prob been walking daily. Your basically agreeing with me. If you have 100 guys walking the same dirt, don't you think the majority will take the woodsroads? Wouldn't you want to NOT go where everybody else has gone ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
 

My senero was not Turkey specific I was speaking  hunting generally  . Less guys on same piece of dirt always increases your odds 

 

Depends how long a road and where the parking lot is . If only parking on one end of the road and it's a long enough road the farther back you go should give you better odds since most guys will not go there especially if there is a good food source back there .  

But probably just looking for sign like he says will work to obviously for him it did .

 

 

 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My senero was not Turkey specific I was speaking  hunting generally  . Less guys on same piece of dirt always increases your odds 
 
Depends how long a road and where the parking lot is . If only parking on one end of the road and it's a long enough road the farther back you go should give you better odds since most guys will not go there especially if there is a good food source back there .  
But probably just looking for sign like he says will work to obviously for him it did .
 
 
 
It's an obvious answer. Just like it's obvious walking the woods roads is what most will do.

If you were giving advice to a new Hunter, and you mentioned a woods road, wouldn't you just mention the same thing you brought up ? Go farther, find the food, get away from the crowd.... You gave better advise then billys video. My point

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

It's an obvious answer. Just like it's obvious walking the woods roads is what most will do.

If you were giving advice to a new Hunter, and you mentioned a woods road, wouldn't you just mention the same thing you brought up ? Go farther, find the food, get away from the crowd.... You gave better advise then billys video. My point

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
 

Still got to be a good food source  where every you go or see sign like he says .

Besides  he got all those birds didn't he .  So he is doing something right .

I think he is putting out pretty good advice you got to give him credit for making videos and sticking his neck out like that . 

 

 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks Storm! Good to have an Friend here. 
Well what the heck billster ! We aren't pals ??? I stayed friends with you after you threatened me with violence !

Anyways.

I gave credit for the effort. Just didn't think it was the best advise for a new / Hunter trying to learn.


Ok. There was also some motivation to say woods roads over and over.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Treeguy-- after going over my - records notebook- the Breakdown is as follows--  53 Gobblers--32 Jakes-- and 33 Hen Turkeys. I am also a Advid Fall Turkey Hunter since 1990 in 3 States. In my opinion-- Hens are Sharper then Gobblers and every bit as Tough to take. Hens Taste better too-- ummm. Estimated days afield is over 2,500. You can see my average for the 118 is very Low.  Nothing special about me-- any member here can do the same thing.  It just takes Grit and you need to hunt in Several States in both Spring and Fall.   Now with Woodsroads-- I dip off  up to about a 1/4 mile on each side when, I find sign. Often, I will take the Tom in Wetlands way back in the Hardwoods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW.

Bill, I gotta agree, it takes big ones to post a self-made video on here. I tip my camo hat to you. I'm actually jealous that you have the time to scout and hunt as many days as you do.

I don't see the advice as being bad. Maybe I missed something, but this video is about SCOUTING. Why in the world would you want to bushwack through the woods making all kinds of racket stirring thing up when all you are doing is looking for scratching, poop, & feathers? I've hunted my share of public land as well, I don't scout a lot because I use different tactics in the spring & fall, mostly due to not having the time or desire to burn gas traveling to potential spots. But I've noticed turkeys walk the roads a lot, scratch on the roads, and leave other signs of their existence right on the trails, sounds like a good (and easy) starting spot to me. Also, when you are actually hunting, staying on the roads makes the most sense to me, the birds are USUALLY  going to be roosted off of the trails, and you want to slip in when it is dark as quietly & stealthily as possible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WOW.
Bill, I gotta agree, it takes big ones to post a self-made video on here. I tip my camo hat to you. I'm actually jealous that you have the time to scout and hunt as many days as you do.
I don't see the advice as being bad. Maybe I missed something, but this video is about SCOUTING. Why in the world would you want to bushwack through the woods making all kinds of racket stirring thing up when all you are doing is looking for scratching, poop, & feathers? I've hunted my share of public land as well, I don't scout a lot because I use different tactics in the spring & fall, mostly due to not having the time or desire to burn gas traveling to potential spots. But I've noticed turkeys walk the roads a lot, scratch on the roads, and leave other signs of their existence right on the trails, sounds like a good (and easy) starting spot to me. Also, when you are actually hunting, staying on the roads makes the most sense to me, the birds are USUALLY  going to be roosted off of the trails, and you want to slip in when it is dark as quietly & stealthily as possible.

Yeah no different then deer or any other woodland creature. They will take the path of least resistance going from A to B. But the fact still remains that any hunter worth their salt will be on that same road both scouting and hunting. State land just adds more competition


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Treeguy-- after going over my - records notebook- the Breakdown is as follows--  53 Gobblers--32 Jakes-- and 33 Hen Turkeys. I am also a Advid Fall Turkey Hunter since 1990 in 3 States. In my opinion-- Hens are Sharper then Gobblers and every bit as Tough to take. Hens Taste better too-- ummm. Estimated days afield is over 2,500. You can see my average for the 118 is very Low.  Nothing special about me-- any member here can do the same thing.  It just takes Grit and you need to hunt in Several States in both Spring and Fall.   Now with Woodsroads-- I dip off  up to about a 1/4 mile on each side when, I find sign. Often, I will take the Tom in Wetlands way back in the Hardwoods. 

2500 days afield??? that's impressive.  wish I had that kind of time to hunt. super jealous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.