ODYSSEUS

Spring Gobblers: BootLeather On Public Lands-- My New Short Video Of 2/8/19.

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Yeah no different then deer or any other woodland creature. They will take the path of least resistance going from A to B. But the fact still remains that any hunter worth their salt will be on that same road both scouting and hunting. State land just adds more competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I catch coons  rabbits squirrels cats you name it using the  concrete pathway and stairs going to and around my  house on my security camera all the time . Sneaky little basteds  and you would never know it with out the cams .  If nobody's hunting that day around where you are at even on state land you have a good chance of spotting something along a logging road . That's the trick really you do that when the parking lot is empty .  

I would hunt at every opportunity. Even for an hour before work. Of course BowSlayer- this is Spring and Fall. We had a 6- Week Fall Season once. I would be out any time my Late Girlfriend Patti would let me go.

• Like 1

Good post above by Uncle Nicky! I am sure Pygmy has more days afield then, I do with 40 years and 120-- 126 Turkeys taken.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Often, I will take the Tom in Wetlands way back in the Hardwoods. 

I find that where I hunt gobblers don't like wet feet.  Me either.......

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

2/10/19-- Winter Scouting today for just 1 Hour on the-( you guessed it)-- Woodsroads Through The Hardwoods.  Can't seem to drop below 225lbs  though..

Good video Bill. I was out today doing some bushy tail hunting and shot some footage.

I can see TreeGuys point to some extent, some. I try very hard not to hunt near trails or woods roads ( not there are many woods roads in the areas I hunt these days ). I want to be as far away from the masses as possible.

That's just me though. How you hunt is how you hunt. If your having success then keep doing what you do.

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob! The Video was over 8 Minutes. It was cut off perfectly after my Map point. Could not upload anymore-IDK. I just use Woodsroads to points where, I dip off for up to 1/4 mile. I do this on both sides.   That's what, I meant when, I said, I dip off and look for Turkey sign. That's where, I hunt them. I will check out your Squirrel Thread now.

My experiance in the state land I hunted in Delaware county were that there were not a lot of turkey hunters compared to Any state land in wny. Especially in fall. 

That being said the words roads in Delaware county were quite productive as there was no where near the pressure one would expect in wny. Plus the flocks there were 4 or 5x larger than  in wny. This allowed for 2 birds in fall and 4 in spring in areas I hunted there many years ago. 

Finding a hot bird is the hardest part you could sneeze and bring in a hot bird.. I do not recommend calling or trying to locate a bird using anything you plan on using during season birds can be educated quickly, an elk bulge, moped horn ,silent dog whistle, even a chicken cackle would be better than a traditional call. And many times they are the only thing to work where bird hear owl hoots and crow calls from every hunter out there before season scouting uses...

• Like 3

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

All good replys here. I will say that a good 75 percent of Spring Turkey Hunters will not go more then 1 Mile in on a Trail or Woodsroad. That is where my real Scouting and Hunting will Start-- at least 1 Mile in. Birds are less Pressured back of beyond. My Fav Locators are the Woodswise- Screaming Peacock and the Rooster Pheasant Cackle which, I do with my natural voice. Not many Spring hunters use those 2 Locators.  Just a Few Years back in Sterling Forest State Park, I was 1 1/4 Miles in on a Woodsroad and A 1/4 Mile up a Highline and just inside the Timber. Using that Tillberg 4" Double Slate that, I am cutting and Yelping on in the short video above, I Called in a nice 21lb Gobbler that was a further 1/4 Mile up the Highline. I was using Fighting Purrs-- on that Double Slate and he soon came in Fast. There was plenty of Turkey Sign on the Woodsroad in this area while scouting and, I knew the Big Birds would not be far away in the Hardwoods. 

All good replys here. I will say that a good 75 percent of Spring Turkey Hunters will not go more then 1 Mile in on a Trail or Woodsroad. That is where my real Scouting and Hunting will Start-- at least 1 Mile in. Birds are less Pressured back of beyond. My Fav Locators are the Woodswise- Screaming Peacock and the Rooster Pheasant Cackle which, I do with my natural voice. Not many Spring hunters use those 2 Locators.  Just a Few Years back in Sterling Forest State Park, I was 1 1/4 Miles in on a Woodsroad and A 1/4 Mile up a Highline and just inside the Timber. Using that Tillberg 4" Double Slate that, I am cutting and Yelping on in the short video above, I Called in a nice 21lb Gobbler that was a further 1/4 Mile up the Highline. I was using Fighting Purrs-- on that Double Slate and he soon came in Fast. There was plenty of Turkey Sign on the Woodsroad in this area while scouting and, I knew the Big Birds would not be far away in the Hardwoods. 
And this, is what, I meant, when I tried to explain that you need to push through to areas where the pressure is less, or less likely.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Different strokes for different folks, as they there are many ways to skin a cat. Never have been much of a turkey scouter although these days I’ve been doing most of my hunting in the Adirondacks on land I never step foot on until I’m hunting and what scouting I do is on google maps. Topography is just as important for turkeys as it is for deer. Nice thing about turkeys is they’ll usually tell you where they are.

• Like 1

Adirondacks on land I never step foot on until I’m hunting and what scouting I do is on google maps. Topography is just as important for turkeys as it is for deer. Nice thing about turkeys is they’ll usually tell you where they are.

This is one of the most often looked over pieces of the turkey hunting puzzles especially when dealing with older gobblers. Chances are good that if you are set up where a bird doesn't feel comfortable it does not matter who is doing the calling or what calls your making that bird will not commit

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

More good replys! The Novices are Tuning in from the Guest List! Keep them coming. I am a Old School Type of Turkey Hunter. I Study the Hunting and Hiking Maps for a greater picture. The Hiking Maps will often give you a more well-- rounded view of your area.  I Study them also after Hiking . Just my personal method.