NH Moose Units

BKhunter

Just a thought...

New Brunswick has a draw moose season, and the odds aren't bad, certainly better than Maine or NH. Other hunters I had talked to up there report anywhere from two years to about 8 for a draw. 

You have to have an outfitter, but for a moose hunt NB is a giveaway! My bear outfitter (last I checked) just across the border in eastern Maine, was charging  1800. Compare to Newfoundland, where a good price for a moose hunt is going to run you about 6 grand, plus incidentals.

If I remember right for Maine and NY you need an outfitter too...moose has to come out whole!

8 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Just a thought...

New Brunswick has a draw moose season, and the odds aren't bad, certainly better than Maine or NH. Other hunters I had talked to up there report anywhere from two years to about 8 for a draw. 

You have to have an outfitter, but for a moose hunt NB is a giveaway! My bear outfitter (last I checked) just across the border in eastern Maine, was charging  1800. Compare to Newfoundland, where a good price for a moose hunt is going to run you about 6 grand, plus incidentals.

If I remember right for Maine and NY you need an outfitter too...moose has to come out whole!

Don't need an outfitter for Maine or NH. The moose can be cut up and quartered.But pretty much have to bring all of it . 

I just like applying as in those states as it isn't to bad of a drive and I have a family member that lives up that day. I mean I hope to draw one of these days but moose isn't one of my bucket list animals.....YET. I'm sure as the years catch up to me I may start having to apply to NB.

3 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

I just like applying as in those states as it isn't to bad of a drive and I have a family member that lives up that day. I mean I hope to draw one of these days but moose isn't one of my bucket list animals.....YET. I'm sure as the years catch up to me I may start having to apply to NB.

That's the same reason I have been applying.  Had places to stay and it was more in my budget and less headaches.  Just a shot at a once in a lifetime hunt.  And I want to do it on our own with no guides.  

• Like 1

when I shot my NH moose in 2004 we hunted up around pittsburgh NH.

back then you had to attend a moose hunting seminar that gave information on hunting and field care. it  also went over how to retrieve the reproductive organs if you had a cow or either sex tag.  if you shot a cow moose  when you went to the check station you had to have those organs and you also had to give exact kill location.

You do NOT need a guide in NH or Maine.

You CAN quarter the moose to get it out.

Do your homework if you get drawn, you can do scouting at your desk even more so today than back in 2004.

most importantly be properly prepared with tools when you are successful.  the fun is over when you pull the trigger.

my buddy insisted on driving that day and ended up not having a single tool in the truck so we couldnt take the cap off. you can not even imagine what 800lbs of dead weight is like trying to get into the back of a truck.  i was so dehydrated and sore I could barely get out of truck at the check station the next morning.  shot the moose at 3:10 pm got to the check station at 10 am the following day and did not go back to the motel first.

take an extra $200.00 with you and if you shoot one go find a logger to use his skidder.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Don't need an outfitter for Maine or NH. The moose can be cut up and quartered.But pretty much have to bring all of it . 

Still....having helped field dress, quarter and pack out several moose, you want to make sure...not think, that it is a chore that you are up to. Boned quarters go about 100 lbs apiece, and guaranteed...the moose will be dropped in the most inaccessible spot imaginable. 1000 lbs of moose in a bog or a black cedar jungle is a major task, even for several experienced guides. Add a warm fall day, and the nightmare of a big pile of rotting meat can occur all too quickly.