Ruger Bearcat or Single Six

Lawdwaz

24 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I thought you listed a Single Six on here some years ago for sale?

Not me but possibly another revolver or a SWEET S&W Model 41 that I sold 4 years ago. 

I do have a Heritage Arms Rough Rider and a H&R Sportsman, both .22 revolvers but I don't recall ever listing them??

11 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Plinking with ten rounds of .22 more fun with mags in pocket   Browning buckmark a fun plinker 

I have a Ruger Mark II and a S&W 422 for dumpin' rounds.  A few .22 revolvers too......oh and the Beretta Bobcat too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Not me but possibly another revolver or a SWEET S&W Model 41 that I sold 4 years ago. 

I do have a Heritage Arms Rough Rider and a H&R Sportsman, both .22 revolvers but I don't recall ever listing them??

It was a S&W 34....2011....^_^

I like the Bearcat but it doesn't fit my big hands well to actually shoot. Single Six feels better for me.

17 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

It was a S&W 34....2011....^_^

I like the Bearcat but it doesn't fit my big hands well to actually shoot. Single Six feels better for me.

LOL, YES!!  That I remember now!!  That was a nice revolver that I bought back in the mid 80's but just didn't do much for me.

I'd like to handle each one but like you, I think the Bearcat might be a bit small for my mits.

3 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Single six for me . I picked up a liberty model a few years back it's a shooter. Came with original box paper work  and original bill of sale . Was sold from Ray Hotchkiss  gun shop . I played more than double what it cost originally.  

That was a GREAT gun shop....Lots of quality used firearms at reasonable prices...I loved going there...

I bought my S&W  K-22 ( new)  there in 1974...I wish there were gun shops like that around here today..There used to be several good ones in the Corning/Elmira area, but Ray's was one of the best..

I had a stainless Single Six with the mag cylinder (never used it). I cant remember what I traded it for, but I sure wish I had it still. Stone cold reliable, low maintenance, great accuracy, and it is one of the prettiest handguns ever made. For me though, it was too big for my normal woods wandering that it would accompany me on, I didn't really small game hunt with it, but it was a lot of fun for plinking. 

I had always loved the Bearcat, and think for my purpose it is more size appropriate. It would be perfect with an adjustable sight. Along the same line, a S&W .22 kit gun is great too, closer in size to the Bearcat, and it has the fantastic Smith adjustable sights. I already have a High Standard Sentinel .22 though, which though well worn is certainly in the same game.

I think I don't give a lot of thought to it as much as I used to, in that I seldom grab a handgun heading out in the woods anymore. I have grown to feel sorry for the poor redsquirrels, porkies, woodchucks, etc. that were the game of opportunity, and don't harass them like I used to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I had a stainless Single Six with the mag cylinder (never used it). I cant remember what I traded it for, but I sure wish I had it still. Stone cold reliable, low maintenance, great accuracy, and it is one of the prettiest handguns ever made. For me though, it was too big for my normal woods wandering that it would accompany me on, I didn't really small game hunt with it, but it was a lot of fun for plinking. 

I had always loved the Bearcat, and think for my purpose it is more size appropriate. It would be perfect with an adjustable sight. Along the same line, a S&W .22 kit gun is great too, closer in size to the Bearcat, and it has the fantastic Smith adjustable sights. I already have a High Standard Sentinel .22 though, which though well worn is certainly in the same game.

I think I don't give a lot of thought to it as much as I used to, in that I seldom grab a handgun heading out in the woods anymore. I have grown to feel sorry for the poor redsquirrels, porkies, woodchucks, etc. that were the game of opportunity, and don't harass them like I used to.

Appreciate the thoughts....

When I first got my permit I purchased a stainless Single Six and a 357 stainless Blackhawk both with 6 1/2 inch barrels. I shot and hunted with both of them a lot and they were totally dependable with good accuracy. After several years of shooting different styles of handguns my preference took a turn toward double actions revolvers as the grip and ergonomics of the double action guns just had a better feel for me so the two Rugers were traded off for something more to my liking. The longest shot I ever made with a handgun on game (a Woodchuck) was with the Single Six loaded with CCI Stingers.

The Bearcat is a very fine little revolver that many call a "trail gun" I liked them but felt they were hampered by the lack of adjustable sights. The large range of bullets and velocities found with 22 rimfire ammo  make a fixed sight gun a deal breaker for me. 

Lipsey is an distributer that has a special relationship with Ruger and has limited runs of custom models made just for them, they had a limited edition Bearcat made with adjustable sights, if I had to have a Bearcat that would be the one for me.

Al

wm_8279992.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2