Amazon's Echo

Paula

I had received a Echo Dot with a separate purchase.  I have barely any use for it....I found myself asking about the weather, and my SUV can be started through an app, and the Echo Dot can be synced with it, still have no use for it.  In fact, I unplugged it yesterday, and stuck it in the closet.  I feel if I bought a smart plug, or light bulb, it would be convenient when walking into a dark home at night, especially with full arms.  Other than that, its not for me, just another product to make Amazon richer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I have one of those Amazon things coming free (my ass it's free) from Verizon Fios along with one years free (my ass it's free) Amazon Prime for renewing my Fios deal for two more years.

We'll see how it goes.....

You sound like me.  

I use it.  It's fun.  It does play a lot of music just not the newest ones you have to pay for and maybe some old obscure ones it can't find.  I have it tied in to my Amazon Prime account as well as my cell phone.  With that I generally use it to:

1. Alexa, what's the weather?

2. Alexa, how's the traffic to Peekskill Brewery?

3. Alexa, how long does it take to drive to Peekskill Brewery?

4. Alexa, how long does it take to cook spaghetti?  Alexa, set a timer for 8 minutes.

5. Alexa, play WFAN radio.

6. Alexa, please order more diapers. (it adds it to your cart but won't send the order)

7. Alexa, call Biz. (yes, once tied to your phone, it will dial straight from the Echo.)

8. (while I'm outside, I can use the Alexa app on my phone, I can send an announcement to the device).  For example, I can type in "I'll be home in 5 minutes", Echo will turn on and play that message...assuming my wife is near the device to hear it.

9.  If you want it to control you lights, open doors, etc, you need to spend more and by compatible devices that connects your lights.  Echo it's doesn't control the lights.  It controls the device that you have your lights connected to.

10.  If I really want to mess with it, I ask it obscure questions like..."Alexa, do you think I'm pretty?" while I dance around naked with my penis tucked between my legs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We have one. Have a couple lights hooked too it. Its nice when I open the door and say Alexa turn on the living room light. My daughter plays music on it all the time and is always asking it questions. My daughter uses it all the time. For me it is basically a voice activated light switch. 

Received one for a gift last year. It's the taller one which has some fairly nice and rich sound. We have SiriusXM in the cars and pay a few extra bucks per month for the online access. The Echo has become our default Sirius device in the house. Also use it for an hour or two of Buffalo Bills pregame audio from WGR on football Sundays (I'm out of area and can't pick it up on the radio). Post game when they win, so not so much - lol.

We got over that "always listening" phobia fairly quickly. You can check on an app what it heard when it was activated. Haven't seen anything weird.

IRC, they were practically giving them away at ~$10/$20 last pre-Christmas shopping time frame. Wondered how people used them, not knowing what was required to utilize them fully. Out of curiosity did an informal polling and common answer when asked was - Not much.... JMO, they are supposed to make your life easier, but shorter because you're not getting off your a$$ turning on lights, the radio, the TV, unlocking the door, starting the car. IMHO, this gizmo falls into the same category as the other thread - When is technology too much?

• Like 1

I've had one for a while, it's the only thing that makes doing dishes, pots & pans 8 hours a week bearable.  Pay the 5$ a month for unlimited music, but just on the echo.  If I hear something on Liquid Metal I like and want to hear it again, or an entire album to see if I want to buy it, it's great.  It pays for itself on days like yesterday when I'm making 25 lbs of venison sausage!  Flip side, even my 2 year old knows how to use it to play Frozen.

• Like 1