Tripod suggestions

Chef

41 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some of you talk about having tripods for predator hunting

No need for a tripod if you know how or learn how to shoot off hand. I know they are popular with all the "new" predator hunters. Most of them use them to "hold" their gun for them until they are ready to shoot. If I anticipate possibly taking a long shot I bring the Primos monopod. It adjusts with one hand and adjusts from 33-65 inches so you can use it standing or sitting.

Most times it stays home because it is just one more thing to carry.

Primos Trigger Stick Gen3 Monopod Camo 33-65"                    

primoz.jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

Slik 700 with the reaper grip is very solid.  Great for sighting in too and if you have kids shooting.  If you like shooting, it’s a nice addition.  Little heavy for long packs and not cheap.

The primos is light and works great.  Much more reasonable. Just won’t lock your gun in but you can balance an AR on it.  

Some use a tripod with a head and hog or pig saddle.  Again,not a cheap option. 

Slik 700 with the reaper grip is very solid.  Great for sighting in too and if you have kids shooting.  If you like shooting, it’s a nice addition.  Little heavy for long packs and not cheap.
The primos is light and works great.  Much more reasonable. Just won’t lock your gun in but you can balance an AR on it.  
Some use a tripod with a head and hog or pig saddle.  Again,not a cheap option. 

Reaper grip looks to be under 200 and same for and night stalker Tripod, I could handle that for sure. I saw other set ups over 1k and wasn’t doing that. 400 seems like a good deal for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some of you talk about having tripods for predator hunting. What do you guys use, I’m looking for something that won’t break the bank. Any suggestions

2 sticks and a string And if you want to go high tech use 3 sticks and a string 

Cost $ 0 

shooting-sticks-feature.jpg

23 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

At first casual glance, I thought he was shooting from a cannabus grow.

I just pulled that off the internet but now that you mention it,  it does look a lot like that crap but it is some other type of plant when u look closely 

Here is  another one 

images.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Storm914

i left one on an island on Kings Flow lake in the Adirondacks.  You could prob walk out to it now but otherwise need to paddle or swim to it. lol 

I actually rarely used it as Steve D said its just something else to carry .  But I have used them while sitting in the brush deer hunting.  I actually bought a cheap one at walmart- worked fine. Some of them seem real heavy if your hiking a bit. 

I know people like to bash it, but you do what you gotta do when funds are not perfect. I went to goodwill and the salvation armys around looking for tripods. Picked up several for under 5$ each. Picked out the most rigid one and then made a saddle mount for it. then bought a fluid head to attach the mount to also for better movements

Total setup cost me 34$  

Sturdy as can be. Gun adjustment/movement is great

20190126_111549.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Reaper grip looks to be under 200 and same for and night stalker Tripod, I could handle that for sure. I saw other set ups over 1k and wasn’t doing that. 400 seems like a good deal for that

If you want the reaper that also has the integrated fluid head (its not really a head but serves the same purpose), I think its closer to $325 plus whatever tripod you choose.  But it is solid as a rock and moves really smoothly.  Just a tad heavy.

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I know people like to bash it, but you do what you gotta do when funds are not perfect. I went to goodwill and the salvation armys around looking for tripods. Picked up several for under 5$ each. Picked out the most rigid one and then made a saddle mount for it. then bought a fluid head to attach the mount to also for better movements

Total setup cost me 34$  

20190126_111549.jpg

Good for you Bryan, I like it.  As long as it works and is solid, $34 is a great deal!

• Like 1

Total setup cost me 34$  
20190126_111549.thumb.jpg.078bea667c9f7094a1cd6f74fdc1b2d0.jpg
Far as I can tell looks all the same as any other. Gonna try this for myself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use a trigger stick with the 2 point cradle. Holds my AR perfectly, is very stable and extremely adjustable. The only down side is that you need one for standing and one for sitting down. You can use the 2 point cradle with either size.

E161AA27-C30F-40DE-82EF-2026CAFDC8CC.thumb.jpeg.6df1f6530295c7ed5403cd9ab9e68208.thumb.jpeg.f5f72e4c33f19d599b804ac1fa69ba5f.jpeg

Do you have a link to that? My ar 10 is like 13 lbs with the light and scope that could really work

For long range varmint hunting I will sometimes use a time proven Harris Bi Pod that mounts to the rifle's front sling swivel stud, they are light, they carry easy and fold up, also they are adjustable and they work well in open fields. In the woods I will just shoot from a sitting position off of my knees or off hand. I have one of those mono pods and I like it but I use it more for a walking stick and take it out only when I just have a handgun. All and all I like keep my gear as simple and as light as possible.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

First is primos with a gear tie.   It’s hands free, functional, light and relatively inexpensive.  

Second is way way over engineered, extremely stable and a joy to shoot from but kind heavy and expensive.  Would trust it in a wind storm however.  Reaper grip with slik 700dx.

Both work standing and seated on stool.   I like sighting in with no. 2.

ABB63409-B51C-485D-86C7-F7327D2527AD.jpeg

841C8CC4-0CF1-4E83-BE6B-727205828CA5.jpeg

• Like 4