Tripod suggestions

Chef

If I can find time, Ill gladly make you all one, Just may be many many lunch breaks from now lol.
This is mounted to a fluid head currently, only because i had one on hand. But a ball head would be even better. I just kept it cheap as I could for this test mount. Ill Take it to the field test it, and see what I need/want to change etc.. As for adding a curve or angle, My initial thought was to just add more "cushion/padding" at the top, as long as its secure and rigid it should act as the same. But I can also put a light angle to it as well. I was hoping enough padding or cushion should absorb the contour of and stock enough to dead hold it.. We''ll see... Brad requested one too so that makes #6 lol  
Why a ball head vs. fluid?
Isn't it easier to plan with the fluid head?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Love this thread

I would be #7 but my buddy is throwing something together along those lines.

As far as a the padding/cushion he was going to find a material he could laser cut and maybe create a waffle pattern for better shock absorbing or grip.

Thats what I wanted to do as well, but our laser runs non stop. For the next ones I am going to try and find time to cut out that grid pattern.

As for the quick attach, ill try and get a pic of it tonight. Its in my basemet currently, and i get on this site at work. It is just a quick attach base, that you'd find on any camera arm (brand specific) I just removed the center screw(1/4-20), machined threads for a 5/16-18 screw in the bottom of the saddle mount and attached with a button head screw. The top of the base has cork, and the mount is duracoat. The two together hold great. I have machined simple versions of this to fit a different mounting head

mountbase.PNG

14 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Why a ball head vs. fluid?
Isn't it easier to plan with the fluid head?

The ball head will tilt if the tripod is not perfectly level, where the fluid head rotates 360 left to right, and up and down only. Not that big of a deal in most cases, Id just like to try both and see what works best. I also considered just using an atv rack gun holder instead of a saddle mount. again just to try, they can be had for 20$ most places..