It sucks getting older..

rob-c

Wife and I are going into the 5th week of our indoor archery league and I am finding I need to change some things on my bow. I have always shot a bow with alot of weight  added, usually around 8-9 lbs total bow weight as I found I hold steadier and I would have less movement in the wind. Well after shooting a few weeks I am finding I am having pain in my left shoulder joint from holding up the bow. Swapped out stabilizers and weights this weekend, taking about 2 lbs off the bow and man what a difference, now when I settle into the shot and relax and get that bone on bone contact I have no pain in my shoulder joint. Hopefully this helps as I shoot, my score would drop a few points per round as the night went on. Told the wife I may have to turn the bow down ( currently draw 65lbs ) if I still feel the pain in my joint, kinda sucks because I can draw 65 very easily. But one has to listen to your body and it is what it is. I think back to the stupid stuff I did when I was younger and the very physically  demanding jobs I had and wonder how my body would be if I had done things different. 

• Like 4

Good luck Rob it should help. But if your going to get serious about shooting indoor league you may want a different bow with different cams than your hunting rig. That hump in a hunting rig will take a toll on your shoulders if your shooting lots of arrows . Check AT classified for a cheap target rig 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Are you shooting spots? I’ve never done a spots league but I think I’d set a bow up at 50lbs for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, it’s a bowhunters league so you shoot your hunting bow. Never have had this problem up till now. 

9 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Good luck Rob it should help. But if your going to get serious about shooting indoor league you may want a different bow with different cams than your hunting rig. That hump in a hunting rig will take a toll on your shoulders if your shooting lots of arrows . Check AT classified for a cheap target rig 

As posted above it’s a bowhunters league, plus my faktor has the Z5 cams that are super smooth. Thanks for the good luck though I’ll get it worked out , I believe its just time to rethink my set up,guess I can’t shoot like I used too when I was younger.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

As we age things change, and we must accept it and do the best with what we have. You are noticing things with your shooting and adjusting to them. Perfect! Don't fight it, as it will only make it worse if you do. Hope those scores hold steady, or even improve for ya!  Nice that you shoot with your wife too!

For most of my younger bowhunting and archery shooting, I pulled 70 pounds no problem. As the shoulders got worse, I would drop poundage to be able to shoot comfortably. I'm now down to about 48 pounds and it's still not very comfortable. But I keep telling myself one more year. One more deer with the bow.

Yup........it does suck to get older in some ways. Archery is one of them.

• Like 1

I really think folks should be much less concerned about turning down weight on compounds.  Lots of folks kill big deer with 40lbs single string bows.  I can guarantee you that they don't shoot an arrow with near the same KE as a 40lb compound.  Accurate shots and good sharp BHs will zip right through. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I really think folks should be much less concerned about turning down weight on compounds.  Lots of folks kill big deer with 40lbs single string bows.  I can guarantee you that they don't shoot an arrow with near the same KE as a 40lb compound.  Accurate shots and good sharp BHs will zip right through. 

I agree, my wife pulls 40 lbs with a 25 inch draw  and has no problem killing deer. I have no problem turning my bow down but then it’s a double edged sword. I would have to spend money on new lighter spine arrows / but then I would get to buy new arrows and retune the bow :party:

11 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I agree, my wife pulls 40 lbs with a 25 inch draw  and has no problem killing deer. I have no problem turning my bow down but then it’s a double edged sword. I would have to spend money on new lighter spine arrows / but then I would get to buy new arrows and retune the bow :party:

One time expense that may save years of pain or at least discomfort and wear/tear.  Do it IMHO.

• Like 1

Yes, it’s a bowhunters league so you shoot your hunting bow. Never have had this problem up till now. 
3d or spots? Sorry if I missed that already.
It is my understanding that bowhunters league just means the setup.....not actually using your hunting rig.

Like sodfather said a hunting bow with a nice valley can burn up a shoulder vs. a speed bow with no valley and a solid back wall.

Fixed pins and length or stabilizer are what usually determine hunter vs. open.
You can still hammer a target with a 50lb draw weight and a properly matched arrow.

Good luck and let us know how the changes affect your scores and body aches.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

3d or spots? Sorry if I missed that already.
It is my understanding that bowhunters league just means the setup.....not actually using your hunting rig.

Like sodfather said a hunting bow with a nice valley can burn up a shoulder vs. a speed bow with no valley and a solid back wall.

Fixed pins and length or stabilizer are what usually determine hunter vs. open.
You can still hammer a target with a 50lb draw weight and a properly matched arrow.

Good luck and let us know how the changes affect your scores and body aches.

See my reply to sodafather and TCIII.. 

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

Gotcha emoji106.png Shoot Straight and score High!
And most importantly outshoot your wife!

Haha, she’s out shot me a few times, not sure if it makes me love  her more or if I should fear her more. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

One time expense that may save years of pain or at least discomfort and wear/tear.  Do it IMHO.

Thats the biggest reason I bought my faktor, I wanted a easier drawing bow than my  protec. My old protec was a 65-75 lb draw and my faktor is a 55-65 and drew so much easier with the Z5 cams at 65 than my protec. I knew I would end up having to turn the faktor down eventually.its all good just sucks getting old.. 

new cam systems and risers designs are super efficient for today's compound bows. seems i'm killing more deer with my bow as seasons go on and more and more i want the easiest drawing bow out though and not because i need it.  i've shot indoor spots, indoor 3D, and outdoor 3D. bow setups are significantly different. i'll be actually posting up my spots bow here in the classifieds as i don't use it for anything else. it's a Hoyt Pro Elite that maxs out at 50lbs. easier to pull and shoot 30, 45, or 90 arrows in a session with no hump or build in the draw cycle that causes some strain until you get past it. bow has multiple 300s and 450s under its belt.  i could load it up with Fuse stack weights quite heavy before fatgue created drops or the holding weight wasn't enough to offset the stabilizer weight (can stress the bow arm shoulder). my 3D bow is basically Elite's flagship target bow a few years ago. it's set at 68-69 lbs but i'm not drawing and shooting nearly as much. 30-40 targets tops with plenty of time in between each.