Frost Seeding Clover

Provided I can get the equipment on the property, I'd like to try frost seeding clover on one of my food plots next month..

The plot I want to seed is about 2 acres...I'm open to suggestions from those of you who have done this before... What kind of clover have you planted  ?  How much per acre ?

Any tips  ??… The plot  was planted in winter wheat last November...

• Like 1

did it last year bought a bag of ladino white clover on amazon went a bit heavier then what the bag said per acre... I only did about a half acre but basically i just threw it on as soon as there was bare ground i think it was late march came in great, the area i planted was brassicas the fall before and the deer had really pawed up the ground , no equipment really need just a hand spreader.... Just to note the deer did use the clover but nothing like the WI clover i have

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Land you shouldn't need anything but a hand spreader. Winter wheat is a perfect nurse crop and after the clover establishes you can just mow the winter wheat or spray it. I frost seeded WI clover last week of April last year on top of about 4 inches of snow, by the end of May I had great results with fewer weeds then the previous attempt. I'm doing the same thing this year with Fusion. Good luck let us know how it works out.

I would use 150% of the normal seeding rate but I've seen people suggest everything from 70% to 150%.  

Edited by corydd7
  • Thanks 1

Spread a good blend of whites, maybe even a red. Multiple varieties of white clovers Gives you "layers" of clovers. Plus if one or 2 clover varieties dont take, you have the others you can rely on. Chicory can also be frost seeded. And deer love chicory, especially when clover goes dormant in hot dry spells of summer. 

Not sure if your brand specific or not, but there are several good seed companies out there.. DeerAg, Grandpa Rays outdoors Northwoods Whitetails. All great companies that will give you great advice if requested. Regardless of whom you chose, id recommend a good white clover blend, with a medium red clover and chicory if possible. Big blends can be so beneficial if done the right way.. 

Seed 1.5 x the normal rate in beginning of March , per bag instructions. A bag spreader is perfect for this, clover seeds are tiny. 

Your WW will act as a good nurse crop to young growing clovers, Just mow before it seeds out. Then sit back and watch it grow. 

For best results, next time plant your clovers with your WW in the Fall. 

Glad to help in any way I can.. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Thanks 1

The only clover to plant is whitetail institute . I tried many other brands and types they are are passed by and deer head right to whitetail institute plot even when planted side by side.. 

You could of planted it right with ww in fall and it would of had a better start this spring. Hand spreader put half of what it calls for on hand spreader and cover entire area with it.. then add second half and do same..planting to heavy is biggest failure when planting clover..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I'd go all red; but that's just me. LOL. I have one of those handy dandy electric spreaders; hooks on the back of a four wheeler, you can borrow if you like.

Thanks for my offer, but my partner who helps me on the property has one...That's what we do all of our seeding with..Works good....2 acres is a lot for an old short fat fart like me to hand seed...

In the past I have always planted clover with my fall plantings of wheat, oats, brassicas, etc.  but last summer  with the crappy weather I was lucky to get the wheat in..I have about two acres that got plowed and never disced because it started raining and never stopped..Gonna have to deal with that this summer IF it ever dries out enough to work....<<sigh>>….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Thanks for your generous offer, but my partner who helps me on the property has one...That's what we do all of our seeding with..Works good....2 acres is a lot for an old short fat fart like me to hand seed...

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

In the past I have always planted clover with my fall plantings of wheat, oats, brassicas, etc.  but last summer  with the crappy weather I was lucky to get the wheat in..I have about two acres that got plowed and never disced because it started raining and never stopped..Gonna have to deal with that this summer IF it ever dries out enough to work....<<sigh>>….

Wait, since you shoot your deer up this way now, shouldn't you seed up here!

• Like 1

Good point, Moog !!  I just happen to be making some venison chili this afternoon from a deer shot from your blind, with your gun, and your bullets, which you so kindly loaded for me...Not to mention you took both deer back to my truck and then loaded them in for me ….<<SMILE>>...

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Good point, Moog !!  I just happen to be making some venison chili this afternoon from a deer shot from your blind, with your gun, and your bullets, which you so kindly loaded for me...Not to mention you took both deer back to my truck and then loaded them in for me ….<<SMILE>>...

Easy hunting!   Enjoyed every minute.

Edited by moog5050

21 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Loaded the deer up, with just one hand or two? Lol. Good man right there..

• 1 month later...

My partner on the food plot has just suffered a devastating stroke.....He owns the  atv and the seeder, and I will not bother his wife at this time  to  try to borrow it...

SOO, it looks like I will be seeding 2 acres by hand....That's OK.. I need the exercise....Maybe I'll find a shed while I am doing it...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, b3h said:

NWTF members can get 2 bags of mossy oak biologic clover plus 9lbs for $34/bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get this info ??  I am a NWTF Life member, and have bought seed through their seed subsidy  for several years, but I have not received any info regarding the seed subsidy yet this year...

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

My partner on the food plot has just suffered a devastating stroke.....He owns the  atv and the seeder, and I will not bother his wife at this time  to  try to borrow it...

SOO, it looks like I will be seeding 2 acres by hand....That's OK.. I need the exercise....Maybe I'll find a shed while I am doing it...

So sorry to hear that. Do they expect a good recovery?

9 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Where did you get this info ??  I am a NWTF Life member, and have bought seed through their seed subsidy  for several years, but I have not received any info regarding the seed subsidy yet this year...

If you go to the NWTF website, click on the link for conservation.  Look for local seed subsidy programs.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

So sorry to hear that. Do they expect a good recovery?

Very sketchy at this time, Jerry....He has very limited movement on his left side, blind in his left eye and  impaired speech, as well as issues swallowing... Add that to the fact that he is 74, he has a long row to hoe...He  will be going through at least a month of re-hab at St. Joe's....Time will tell....

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

Very sketchy at this time, Jerry....He has very limited movement on his left side, blind in his left eye and  impaired speech, as well as issues swallowing... Add that to the fact that he is 74, he has a long row to hoe...He  will be going through at least a month of re-hab at St. Joe's....Time will tell....

Sounds bad, prayers for a full recovery! He’ll be happy to see the plot!

• Thanks 1