Frost Seeding Clover

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Where did you get this info ??  I am a NWTF Life member, and have bought seed through their seed subsidy  for several years, but I have not received any info regarding the seed subsidy yet this year...

https://seedstore.nwtf.org/customer/account/login

If you don't have an NWTF login already, a login has to be created, then you need your NWTF member number typed in and the system will find you. Then goto the NY section to see what seed is available to NY NWTF members. Once there you can order.

I receive emails from the NWTF on a regular basis from signing up at the webpage. That's how I knew about the seed store, plus I check every winter to see what NY seed is available as it changes every year. Got my seed 2 or 3 weeks ago. Good service and fast. One year I had to wait until the seed was packaged and shipped. Got it just in time.

Sorry to hear about your partner, hoping for the best. What county are you in?

Edited by b3h
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

My partner on the food plot has just suffered a devastating stroke.....He owns the  atv and the seeder, and I will not bother his wife at this time  to  try to borrow it...

SOO, it looks like I will be seeding 2 acres by hand....That's OK.. I need the exercise....Maybe I'll find a shed while I am doing it...

Hope he can can recover fully and safely sir, sorry to hear of this. 

Well...I spent the entire morning  seeding my WW field  with clover this morning, using my  over the shoulder whirligig hand seeder...

Lots of walking ( 2 acres) and lots of cranking....My ragged old aZZ  is dragging...

BUT I got it done, and I feel that I got a pretty good , even distribution of seed...

Looking forward to seeing the results...

• Like 4

Did mine a week ago, Bunch of perennial whites, alfalfa and chicory. Couldnt find my bag of med. red until last night. lol. Ill spread that in a few days if i get the chance. My food plots will probably be lacking pretty good this year if things around home stay the way they are.. 

Speaking as someone who has never tried this method, I think I have had ideal weather since I seeded 3 weeks ago...Lots of freezing/thawing, some rain, some snow...I am looking forward very optimistically to seeing how well the clover comes in...

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, Belo said:

Anyone frost seeding this weekend? Too late and should I rake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did clover today and used a drag after seeding.  Doesn’t look like we will be seeing much freezing anymore.  Rake it in. 

I wanted to try some frost seeding this year but when I checked out the food pot last weekend it was 90% underwater! I'm going to have to wait a few more weeks and i'm sure there won't be to much frost then. we'll see what happens. i did notice some clover coming back in the areas that weren't flooded.

So tractor supply said they had clover in stock. I don’t see any so I ask a lady and she proceeds to lecture me about how that stuff isn’t planted till the fall and that they do have some mineral blocks and bags of corn available.

Wtf...

Anyhow Being out of options I used a bag of 7 year old clover and chicory mix lol. Oh well it did t cost me anything.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

So tractor supply said they had clover in stock. I don’t see any so I ask a lady and she proceeds to lecture me about how that stuff isn’t planted till the fall and that they do have some mineral blocks and bags of corn available.

Wtf...

Anyhow Being out of options I used a bag of 7 year old clover and chicory mix lol. Oh well it did t cost me anything.

Agway on empire has white clover

Ugh what a bummer, went to camp today expecting 2-5 inches of snow with thunderstorms the next two days. Ended up having snow to my knees and I didnt bring my snow shoes. Put some cameras out and had a hell of a quad workout. Im going to wait two weeks and try again. Last year the first week of May was when all the snow was gone. 

On 4/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, Belo said:

Anyone frost seeding this weekend? Too late and should I rake?

You dont need to rake it in, either roll it with a roller or let the rain take care of it for you. No need to rake. The ground is moist enough where you dont need to disturb soil, you'll only release weed seeds.. ITs not too late, There will still be a frost or two.. The only issue is competition with green-up happening now/soon. Spread seed or wait and spray it in a few weeks then spread seed..